A plan is essential because it lays out the details of everything that is needed before a project is actually done. Through proper planning, there will be enough preparation time for everything that is needed and all concerns will be addressed. Problems, potential risks and hazards are also identified and resolved ahead of time to ensure that no resources will be wasted.
In this article, we will be covering all about work plans. We will find out what a work plan is, its uses, why is it important, how to be able to effectively write one and the advantages of work plan templates. We have also included useful work plan templates that you may use as reference. Feel free to check them out below.
Project Work Plan Template
Sample Performance Improvement Work Plan Template
Blank Work Plan Template
IT Project Work Plan Template
Wide Area Work Plan Template
What Is a Work Plan?
Planning for a new project requires the use of a work plan. A work plan is a document that is created and consulted by a company or organization before they start a new endeavor or project. This is because the plan includes important details about the project that is to be undertaken, like the timeline for the project and the budget intended for the length of time the project will be worked on. The budget is usually already given in a fixed amount and a work plan helps to find ways on how to work on the project in compliance to the budget provided.
A work plan and a work plan template has many uses. To become aware of them, we have made a list below of the some of its important uses that you should know.
- A work plan is primarily used to help organize a certain project, especially big projects.
- It provides an introduction or a brief overview of what the project is all abut as well as the goals and objectives that the project aims to achieve.
- It contains a list of various important details related to the project, such as the personnel need for it, the people assigned with specific management tasks, details about quality and assurance control, and task and function work plans.
- A work plan is also where you can find the schedule of activities and the budget provided for the operation of the project.
- The start and end date of a project both can be found in a work plan.
- A work plan is used in breaking down large tasks into smaller ones that way they can be easily done and completed. It seems more achievable and doable if you do things this way.
Other relates articles about work plans and plans in general that you may find interesting are available on our website, like Diet Plan Templates, Sample Weekly Exercise Plans, and Meal Plan Templates.
Why Is a Work Plan Important?
A work plan is an important part of the initial preparations for starting and organizing a new project. It is because the plan helps in setting the goals and objectives that a company or organization wants to achieve. This means that the direction that the new project will be taking is determined before it is even started to ensure that it will succeed. Another important reason for using a work plan is because it helps build team organization and leadership. No big project can be done alone that is why the cooperation of an entire team and their leaders is essential for the project to succeed. Without this needed cooperation, the project may slowly fall apart, if not totally go wrong and halted.
The heart of a project is its timeline and budget. This is one of the priorities when making a work plan. The length of time needed to finish the project and the budget provided for the said project are always taken into consideration when planning for one. Without proper allocation of the budget, the project may not push through or may stop halfway. This is a total waste of money and resources that could have been used on other important things.
Projects are also not left alone while they are still on going and after they are done. A work plan includes having a quality assurance check done on all the activities in the work plan before, during and after the project. This is to determine if the work plan created passed the general standards or the set of standards required by the client. Quality assurance ensures that the client’s directives and preferences are followed. You may also check out other related articles, like Plan Templates & Examples, Lesson Plan Samples & Templates, and Business Plan Templates.
How to Write a Work Plan
We have here simple steps to guide you and help you write a work plan.
- What is the purpose of your work plan? Work plans are used for planning and organizing different types of projects in different fields of work so its purpose varies from one project to the other. That is why each work plan should have its own specific purposes to that tells why the project is being done or carried out.
- After identifying the purpose of your project, the next thing that you would want to do is write about the introduction or the background of the project. Here you will need to give a brief description or an overview of what the project is all about and the things that will be done or that will take place in general. However, an introduction is only deemed necessary when writing a professional work plan, but not an academic work plan.
- The next step is determining your goals and objectives for the project or what you hope or want to accomplish through the work plan you are making. Goals are the things you want to accomplish in general and the objectives are the little things that you want to accomplish in the work plan.
- Ever heard of the SMART objectives? SMART is a popular acronym that stands for specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time bound. The details of the work plan is organized based on the SMART objectives to ensure that it is something realistic and doable. Using the SMART objectives results in more tangible outcomes and work plans that are actionable.
- Now that your objectives are all set, the next things to do is to make a list of your resources. The list that you will be making should be relevant and appropriate for the work plan you are making. The resources you will be listing will vary from one work plan to the other depending on its purpose.
- Then, you will need to know or identify the constraints that your work plan is up against. By constraints, we are actually referring to the obstacles that may hinder your work plan to achieve its set goals and objectives.
- Make a list of the people who will be accountable for completing specific tasks. This way you will be able to tell who to talk to when it comes to this activity or task for a certain area in the project.
- You will need to write the strategy that you will be using in carrying out your work plan. This is the part where you go over what you have listed, like your resources , budget and schedule to help you decide the best possible way to overcome identified obstacles of your work plan.
These steps will surely help you put together your own work plan. You may also use templates to help you do the job faster and more convenient. Some of the articles that we have that offers plan templates for free are Sample Test Plan Templates, Annual Operational Plan Samples & Templates, and Sales Plan Templates.
Advantages of Work Plan Templates
The following are the advantages of using work plan templates and general plan templates.
- It is easy to use. Work plan templates help make your task easy because they are easy to use and hassle-free. Templates in different file format are made available so that you can edit the contents or customize it according to your needs.
- It is free and available online. There are different varieties of work plan templates available online for free so you never have to worry about having a hard time looking for one or not being able to find one. There are also online websites that allow you to create your own template. Other websites offer their services for a small fee and that is not really bad.
- It is complete. A work plan template is created and designed by people who knows a deal about it. So you can guarantee that the templates are detailed and most of all complete.
- It is convenient and saves time. By using a work plan templates, you no longer need to recreate the entire document all over again. This allows you to save time and makes the task convenient for you to do.
- It is reliable and effective. The details and all other information included in a work plan template are sure to be reliable and will definitely produce an effective and realistic output that can be carried out during the actual making of a project.
Work Plan Template for Voluntary and Non-profit Sector
USAID Work Plan Template
Proposal Narrative and Work Plan Template
Project Work Plan Sample Template
Sample Work Plan Template
Tips in Effective Planning
How can you plan effectively? Here are some tips that you will surely find useful to plan effectively.
- Keep it short and simple. You would want your plan to be short and simple because often long and exaggerated plans may be too hard or impossible to do. Planning doesn’t all the time have to be impressive, but it has to be something that can be done in order to achieve something.
- Use clear and concise words. Clear communications and understanding of the plan is key to its success. If you do not understand the plan then you will not be able to have it executed. Also, using ambiguous words when providing instructions or details to the plan will cause confusion resulting to the failure of the plan.
- Make specific goals and objectives. The need to make a plan is to provide direction to what you want to do and what you want to happen. Being specific with your plan goals and objectives will greatly help in directing your plan to success.
- Be mindful of the time. All plans should always be time bound. Enough time should be provided fr the planning phase so that the plan can be carefully laid out and alternatives can be provided in case they are needed. Providing just the right amount of time results to an effective plan.
- Update your planner regularly. if there are changes to the plan, it is a must that it be changed or updated right away. This is so that any changes or ideas that one has in mind will not be forgotten and will be relayed to another individual who is involved in the planning.
What other planning tips do you know of or have you used before that really worked? There are many other tips aside from what is provided. Some are even according to one’s preference. We hope that you are able to learn from this article. You may also want to check out other related articles, like Sample Work Plans, Sales Plan Samples & Templates, and Sample Bar Business Plans.
8+ Art Lesson Plans Sample Templates
24+ Sales Plan Templates – PDF, RTF, PPT, Word, Excel Sample ...
14+ Sample Marketing Plan Templates Sample Templates
10+ Spending Plan Templates Sample Templates
9+ Parenting Plan Templates Sample Templates
11+ Sample Blank Lesson Plans Sample Templates
9 Music Lesson Plan Templates Download for Free Sample ...
17+ Meal Planning Templates – PDF, Excel, Word Sample Templates
7+ Performance Plan Samples Sample Templates
9+ Sample Weekly Lesson Plans Sample Templates
9+ Sample SBA Business Plan Templates Sample Templates
16 Project Action Plan Templates to Download for Free Sample ...
8+ Seminar Planning Templates Sample Templates
8 Risk Management Plan Templates to Free Download Sample ...
11 Sample Payment Plan Templates to Download Sample Templates