Personal development is defined as a process or a way for people or individuals to assess the things that they are capable of doing, as well as those that they lack. It helps people set goals and aims for them in order to better improve themselves, in different aspects of their lives.
Planning for one’s personal development is key to getting things done and to make personal improvements possible. In this article, our main topic is about personal development plans. We are going to discuss what it is, what things are included in it, how to be able to write one and many more. Also check out personal development plan templates that we have included below.
Individual Development Plan
Editable Personal Development Plan Template
Free Personal Development Plan Template
Weekly Personal Development Plan Template
Simple Personal Development Plan Template
What Is a Personal Development Plan?
Planning for one’s own personal development is as important to an individual as it is important to a business or company. A personal development plan is a process of creating an action plan that is intended to help individuals make improvements in their careers, relationships, education and for various personal reasons. It is a goal-centered action plan that is created based in the values of an individual, their awareness, and reflection. A personal development plan is also referred to as an individual development plan or IDP and personal enterprise plan or PEP.
There are many uses of a personal development plan and it is common in companies with a large population or big workforce. These companies rely on the work or services provided by their employees that is why they must invest on their employees by helping them improve. The following is a list of the uses of a personal development plan.
- Employers need to invest in their staff or employees by making sure that their skills, knowledge and efficiency continuously get nurtured or updated. A personal development plan is used to be able to have this done.
- Planning and providing training for all employees or staff of a company or organization is included in a personal development plan. Through training, employees can up their skills and knowledge to be able to function effectively at work.
- Not only is a personal development plan used by employers and employees, but they are also used by individuals seeking to help themselves improve in various fields, like in sports, music, entertainment, education, politics, decision making and many more.
- A personal development plan also aims to help in establishing one’s specific goals and objectives, or the things that one wants to do or achieve.
- Through a personal development plan the strengths, competencies, aspirations, education and goals are realized and steps are created based on this information.
- A personal development plan can also be used to help one improve their personality, especially when dealing with people from different countries with different cultures.
- A personal development plan is a process of helping oneself outdo the skills, knowledge and the person they were before.
Personal development plans are indeed useful. To check out samples and templates about development plans and other plans in general, you may check them out on our website anytime. Some examples are Development Plan Samples & Templates, Business Plan Templates, and Employee Development Plan Examples.
What Does a Personal Development Plan Include?
What things can you find in and should be included in a personal development plan? There are a lot of things in it actually and all of them are equally important. Learning what they are will help you further understand what it is as well ensure that you have everything covered on your development plan. Check out the list below.
- Heading or title indicating what the document is for
- The start and end date of the development plan
- The person to whom the plan is intended for
- The people who will be facilitating the plan and other involved entities
- The specific goals and objectives for the development plan
- The steps that should be taken to carry out or implement the plan
- Details about the individual or their demographic information
- A statement of the individual’s competencies or strengths, their aspirations, educational background and training that they have undertaken
- Information about the individual’s career, lifestyle, risks, priorities in life and alternative plans are also included
- A statement showing proof of the commitment of all the parties involved
- A portfolio that will serve as evidence of the skills and knowledge that the individual claims they have
- Signatures of the parties involved
- Progress reports, evaluation reports and final outcome of the plan after it has been implemented or carried out
How Do You Write a Personal Development Plan
Writing a personal development plan may be difficult, especially if it is your first try. The task can be made easier by following steps that will guide you in making one. It will eventually become easier with practice and as you are able to create your own style of writing a personal development plan. Here are some simple steps that you can use and follow to help you get started.
- The first thing that you would want to do before actually starting your personal development plan is to set your personal goals. These goals will reflect what you really want in our life. Differentiate your short-term goals, long-term goals and life goals. Be sure to be able to tell them apart.
- Your goals in life may change depending on your age and experiences so you should take note of those things. This is when you need to prioritize your goals to the most important to the least important. This is the next step that you should do when writing a development plan. Take into consideration the short-term gals that can help you achieve your long-term goals or life goals. This way you can see desirable results.
- Now, you need a specific period of time as when you should be able to achieve your goals. You should have a specific deadline to follow to ensure that your plan is right on track and is going in the right direction. A specific time frame will greatly affect your plan for self-improvement and how or who you will be in the future.
- You should also be able to point out the opportunities that you can take advantage of as well as the threats that can potentially prevent you from being successful with your plan and with your life. Recognizing these external factors will make a difference and will help you make a flexible plan that will help you conquer your challenges.
- A plan will stay a plan unless you put it into action. After making an action plan on the things that you need to do for your personal development and after recognizing the possible threats and opportunities, it’s high time that you put them into action. Start working on them and get things done.
- Of course, you will need a lot of help and you can get this help from your support network. What is a support network? It simply means the people around you who are more than willing to help you develop yourself. It could be your financial adviser, friends, relatives, managers, colleagues and many more. Why do you need a support network? It is because even if it is for your own personal development, you should not and should never work alone. Things will get more fruitful and successful if you get help.
- Keep track of your progress and make sure to always have them measured, regardless if they are if or small achievements. Your progress is an indication that you are able to accomplish something and that you can move forward to your next goals. Also, recognizing your achievement will help boost your self confidence and will further motivate you to work on your goals.
Your personal development plan should not have to be very impressive and it should not aim for goals that are too high or goals that are unachievable unless they are really your goals. It should be something that will reflect who are as a person and what you want to become in the future. You may also check out articles, like Patient Care Plan Template, Personal Plan Samples & Templates, and HR Operational Plan Samples & Templates.
Coach Personal Development Plan Template
One Page Personal Development Plan Template
Personal and Career Development Plan Template
Personal Development Plan Guide and Template
Medical School Individual Development Plan Template
What Are Good Personal Development Goals for Work?
Here are some examples for a choosing a personal development goals for your work.
- Complete leadership training course. If you are working in a group, it is best that you learn about leadership that is why taking up and completing a leadership course is highly recommended. This is regardless if you are a leader or a team member. This is goes with the famous saying, ” A good leader is a good follower.” Doing so will help you accomplish your goals.
- Build and improve your relationship with people at work. Working with other people with different attitudes and work ethics can sometimes be a challenge and a problem at the same time. What you can do to be able to work successfully with them is to make yourself flexible. Build a relationship with them by trying to know them and the reasons why they are what they are. That you can create a working style specific to that individual, which will definitely make work easy to do.
- Improve your ability to manage your time. Almost everyone struggles with time management and if you are one of them you better have this included in your goals.
- Increase your knowledge about your job. Another way to personally develop yourself at work is by learning about the industry you are in, and knowing about your potential clients and competition.
- Enhance your listening skills. Listening is the key to understanding. Take not that hearing is different from listening. If you listen, you not only hear what is being said but you will be able to understand what it means. This is how you can get ideas to help improve yourself.
- Awareness of your environment. If you are not aware of what is happening around you then you probably will not be able to move forward or make improvement. How you react to your surroundings make up the external factors that contribute to your success as a person.
Those are just a few examples for a good personal development plan at work that you can use as your own. You may also be interested in other planning related articles that we have available on our website. Some examples are Meal Plan Templates, Sales Plan Templates, and Sample Test Plan Templates.
8+ Art Lesson Plans Sample Templates
24+ Sales Plan Templates – PDF, RTF, PPT, Word, Excel Sample ...
14+ Sample Marketing Plan Templates Sample Templates
10+ Spending Plan Templates Sample Templates
9+ Parenting Plan Templates Sample Templates
11+ Sample Blank Lesson Plans Sample Templates
9 Music Lesson Plan Templates Download for Free Sample ...
17+ Meal Planning Templates – PDF, Excel, Word Sample Templates
7+ Performance Plan Samples Sample Templates
9+ Sample Weekly Lesson Plans Sample Templates
9+ Sample SBA Business Plan Templates Sample Templates
16 Project Action Plan Templates to Download for Free Sample ...
8+ Seminar Planning Templates Sample Templates
8 Risk Management Plan Templates to Free Download Sample ...
11 Sample Payment Plan Templates to Download Sample Templates