Nothing is better than receiving a thank-you letter or a thank-you note from someone. This shows that the person has appreciated a particular gift that you have sent him/her, a gesture, or a favor. Writing a thank-you letter is the best way that you can show your gratitude to another person or entity. There are many reasons why people write thank-you letters. One example of this is when you apply for a job. After a job interview, sending a thank-you letter to the interviewer is important since it shows that you appreciate the time that the interviewer has provided you, which leaves a good impression and increases your chances of getting the job.
Moreover, sending a thank-you letter to a friend is also important. This allows you to build a stronger relationship with that person. Writing a thank-you letter doesn’t require much preparation, especially when you are writing one for a friend. If you need help in writing your thank-you letter, then this article is for you. In this article, you will read about the steps in writing your letter, the elements that you need to include in your letter, and some useful tips to help you create an effective thank-you letter. Plus! We have also included the steps to format your letter. You can also download from the thank-you letter samples and templates that are available in this article and on our website. Just browse through the various collections that we have available.
Donation Thank-You Letters
Scholarship Donor Thank-You Letter
Inkind Donation Thank You Letter
Event Donation Thank You Letter
Donor Appreciation Thank-You Letter
Interview Thank-You Letters
Job Interview Thank-You Letter
Informational Interview Thank-You Letter
Printable Interview Thank-You Letter
Post-Interview Thank-You Letter
After Interview Thank-You Letter Sample
Interview Thank-You Letter Format
After-Interview Sample Letter Format
Fundraising Thank-You Letters
Fundraising Donation Thank-You Letter
Fundraising Campaign Thank-You Letter
Email Thank-You Letters
Sample Email Thank-You Letter
Email Interview Thank-You Letter Format
Formatting Your Thank-You Letter
When formatting your thank-you letter, there are some things that you need to remember in order to create a neat and well-crafted letter. Refer to the information below to guide you when formatting any letter that you will be making.
The font size of your letter
Although you can decide how you want your letter to look, particularly the font size when writing your letter, it is important that you follow the standard font size, which is between sizes 10 to 12. Following the standard font size is important especially if you are writing a formal letter.
The font style:
Choosing the right font style that is appropriate for the letter that you will be writing is essential. For example, if you are writing a more formal type of thank-you letter, you can choose a formal font style such as Times New Roman, Arial, Calibri, and so on.
The right spacing for your thank-you letter:
When writing a thank-you letter, especially a formal one, remember to include a 1-inch margin. This spacing applies to when you are writing a business thank-you letter, a formal invitation letter, etc.
Written, printed, or emailed thank-you letter:
It can be a dilemma to some when choosing the medium in which they will be sending out their letters. You can either choose to send one handwritten, printed out, or emailed. So how exactly do you choose the most appropriate one for the letter that you are writing? If you are sending out a more personal thank-you letter, it is best to have a handwritten letter. This gives a personal touch to the letter that you have written. A printed letter, on the other hand, is best if you are writing a formal letter since this will keep your letter neat. An email thank-you letter should only be sent if the matter is urgent, especially when writing a job interview thank-you letter.
Email Thank-You Letter for Gift Format
Scholarship Thank-You Letters
Basic Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Student Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Scholarship Appreciation Thank-You Letter
Mentor Thank-You Letters
Community Mentor Thank-You Letter
Leadership Mentor Thank-You Letter
Steps for Writing a Thank-You Letter
When you write your thank-you letter, it is essential that you understand how to start and end your letter. If you don’t know how to start writing one, refer to the steps below to help you create an effective thank-you letter, whether you are writing one for a personal reason or for business. The steps for writing your thank-you letter are as follows:
- The first step to writing a thank-you letter is to write the date. The date of your letter will indicate to the recipient when you have written the letter that you sent to them.
- The next step is to write the salutation or the greeting. When addressing the person you are writing to, write the words “Dear,” “Dearest,” or you can also say “Hi” or “Hello” to greet them. This all mainly depends on the person or entity you are writing the letter to.
- Open your letter by expressing your appreciation to the individual and explaining to them the reason why you are writing the letter. If you are thanking the person for a gift that he/she has sent, let them know that you appreciate the gift that they have previously given. For an interview letter, express your gratitude to the interviewer for taking the time to interview you and for considering your Job application. You can also remind them of the skills that you haven’t mentioned to them during the interview and let them know why you are the best candidate for the position.
- Conclude the letter by expressing your appreciation and gratitude one last time.
- Write the closing line of the letter by writing the words “Sincerely,” “Best Regards,” “Many Thanks,” and so on. Your closing line will also depend on the type of thank-you letter you are writing.
Furthermore, if you need help in formatting your letter, we have various samples and templates that you can download in this article such as a thank-you letter to your boss, an interview thank-you letter, and much more.
Volunteer Thank-You Letters
Thank-You Follow-up Letter for Volunteer
Volunteer Participation Thank-You Letter
Advocacy Thank-You Letter Sample
Printable Thank You Letter Format Sample
Leadership Thank-You Letter from CEO
Physician Thank-You Letter Format
Thank-You Letter for Field Trip Format
Vendor Thank-You Letter Format
Work Experience Thank-You-Letter
Thank-You Letter Format to Reporter
Thank-You Letter for Candidate
Essential Tips for Creating a Thank-You Letter
When creating a thank-you letter, it is important that you follow these essential tips before you start writing and sending out your letter. Here are some tips that will guide you when creating your thank-you letter.
- After you have written your letter, ensure that you have thoroughly checked the contents of your document. Check for any misspellings, typographical errors, and other mistakes before you send out your letter.
- For urgent thank-you letters, always remember to send it within 24 to 48 hours. This is especially important if you are sending one to an interviewer after a job interview. Sending your letter as soon as possible ensures that the interviewer still remembers you and the details of your interview.
- Always remember to keep your thank-you letter concise. Limiting your letter to a page is important since you are creating a personal document.
- To make your application letter more personal, especially when creating one for a friend who has sent you a gift, you can personalize your letter by using different types of paper like a scented paper, colored paper, etc., various types of pens, and envelopes.
- Also, consider the quality of paper you will be writing your letter on. Using a high-quality paper for your letter gives a good impression to the recipient, which will make them appreciate your effort for writing one.
- When writing your thank-you letter, always remember to be genuine and sincere in your message.
What You Need to Include in a Thank-You Letter
An effective thank-you letter needs to contain all the essential elements needed to be present in a letter. The elements that you need to include in your thank-you letter are as follows:
- Heading: The heading is where the date of the letter is written. For a business letter or any formal letter, the header should also contain information of the recipient of the letter. This includes the name of the entity, the name of the recipient, the address, and the contact information.
- Salutation or Greeting: The salutation contains the greeting. This is where you will address the recipient of the letter by writing the opening. Write the words “Dear,” “To my friend,” “Hi,” and any greeting that is appropriate for the purpose of the letter, followed by the name of the recipient.
- Body: The body of the letter is where you will express your appreciation to the recipient of the letter. For example, if you are writing the letter for a person who has given you a gift or a favor, express your gratitude and explain that you appreciate the gift, gesture, or donation that the recipient has given you.
- Closing line: Choosing the appropriate line to close your letter is important. When creating a formal letter, you can use the closing line “Respectfully Yours,” “Sincerely,” or “Truly Yours.” However, if you are writing a more personal thank-you letter, the words “Love,” “Cheers,” and “Regards” are more appropriate. The closing line also includes the name of the sender after the closing greeting.
- Signature: Signing the thank-you letter that you have written adds a personal touch to the letter that you have created. Ensure that your signature is present in every letter that you will be writing.
Now that you have read about all the information that is essential for writing your own thank-you letter, you can now write your own letter with ease and confidence. You can also download from the thank-you letter formats on this page. You will also be able to find other types of letters when you browse through our website. Some examples of the letters we have available include a resignation letter, a recommendation letter, character reference letter, business proposal letter, and an employment letter.
14+ Sample Invitation Letters
7+ Invitation Letter Samples
32+ Examples of Invitation Letters – PDF, Word, Pages
35+ Sample Invitation Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages
8+ Sample Thank You Letters for Interview
11+ Thank You Letter Samples
6+ Interview Thank You Letter Samples
23+ Sample Thank You Letters
38+ Thank You Letters
10+ Collection Letter Templates – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages
10+ Sample Collection Letters – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages, PDF
43+ Collection Letter Examples – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages, PDF
8+ Sample Confirmation Letters – DOC
10+ Sample Welcome Letters
7+ Sample Welcome Letter Templates