Whether you just came from an interview, received that most-awaited job offer letter from your dream company, or if you have received a precious gift from someone dear to you, sending a thank-you letter should always follow. It is a means of showing your appreciation and expressing your gratitude toward the person who did you a favor.
But how does one actually come up with an excellent and memorable thank-you letter? That’s the reason why we are here! We will give you tips for writing thank-you letters for interviews, job-related purposes, as well as for personal gifts and favors done. There are also a few sample letters available for free download and continue reading our article for more information!
Sample Thank-You Letter
Thank You Letter for Scholarship
Sample Thank You Letter to Your Mentor in PDF
Basic Sample Thank You Letter Format
Professional Thank You Letter in PDF
Printable Email Business Thank You Letter
Business Interview Thank-You Letter
Scholarship Thank-You Letter Sample in PDF
Free Scholarship Thank You Letter Format
After Interview Thank-You Letter Format
General Guidelines for Writing a Thank-You Letter
Before we digest the guidelines for writing different types of thank-you letters, we should first discuss a general guideline about writing thank-you letters, which will include the basic thank-you letter format. This will help you get a good head start for your thank-you letters.
- Make sure to keep your thank-you letters concise. You should make sure to keep your letters about one page long.
- If you are going to type your thank-you letter or if you are about to send a thank-you email, choose a font size, somewhere between 10–12 pt, and font style that is readable and is professional-looking. Traditional fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman are preferred for these letters.
- If your thank-you letter is intended for professional purposes, you have to make sure that you make use of the proper business letter format. This means that you have to make sure that the spacing in between lines is single, there is a 1″ margin on all sides of the page, and that all of the texts are aligned to the left side.
- Proofreading is a must even for informal thank-you letters. You want to make sure that spellings of the words and that your grammar are all in check. You also want to make sure that the name of your recipient is spelled correctly.
- You have to be prompt when it comes to sending your thank-you letters or thank-you notes, especially if it is intended for urgent matters. Sending it within the 24-hour window after your interaction with the individual is a good window. For less urgent thank-you letters such as thank-you letters for gifts, you can send them within a week after the gift was given. But always remember, the sooner you send your thank-you letters, the better.
Thank-You Letters for after a Job Interview
You now have a better idea about the basic format of a thank-you letter, we would now want to share a few guidelines about writing post-interview thank-you letters. As its name suggests, these letters are sent after an interaction with an interviewer. They are the best way to reiterate your interest in the available position. Without further adieu, here are a few simple guidelines to follow for these types of thank-you letters.
- If you are typing your letter or if you are going to print a hard copy of your letter, start you letter with your information, followed by the date, which is followed by the recipient’s information. However, if you are writing your letter in the body of the email, your personal letterhead can be placed after your signature.
- The salutation of your thank-you letter should make use of the recipient’s correct job title. Make sure you spell his/her name correctly.
- Body of your letter
- Immediately express your thanks in the first part of your letter.
- Reiterate what makes you an excellent candidate for the available position.
- Clarify anything that you have missed out on during the interview.
- Do not forget to reiterate how grateful you are for the opportunity to prove that you are a good candidate for the position.
- Let them know that you look forward to hearing feedback from them about the status of your application.
- Make use of a formal closing.
- Do not forget to sign your letter.
Writing Thank-You Letters for Job-Related Help
- Just like any business letter, start it with a personal letterhead, followed by the date, then followed by the recipient’s details.
- Use a salutation appropriate for the relationship you have with the person who helped you. For example, if you are close friends with the person who helped you, you can state your salutation as To my dearest [name of recipient].
- Body of the letter
- Express how grateful you are for the help they have given during your job search.
- Let them know how the help made a difference with your job search.
- Tell him/her that you are willing to reciprocate the favor should he/she need help too. However, only state this if you are sincere.
- Close it appropriately.
- Remember to sign the letter.
Letter of Thanks for Personal Situations
If someone has handed you a gift or has done you a favor, do not hesitate to come up with a personal thank-you letter for him/her. Here are a few things you should remember about writing a personal thank-you letter should you be confused about how you should come up with one.
- Make sure you spell the recipient’s name correctly. For situations where you may be thanking the recipient for a gift, remember to check if you are thanking the recipient correctly. For example, if you are going to state what the gift is, make sure it is addressed to the right person.
- Begin with the most important words: Thank you. This will immediately let them know that your letter is a thank-you letter.
- Add a few details about the favor or the gift.
- Let them know that you are looking forward to the next time you will be seeing them.
- Reiterate your thanks.
- Close and sign appropriately.
Downloadable Sample Thank-You Letter for a Job Interview
Printable Sample Thank You Letter for Donation
Thank-You Decline Letter for Job Offer in PDF
Free Thank-You Letter Example Format
Printable Business Thank You Letter in PDF
Thank You Letter to Business Organization
Scholarship Thank-You Letter to Donor
Thank-you letters may seem simple, yet they prove to be letters that will definitely go a long way. The two words, thank you, are very powerful and they will surely flatter anyone who actually needs to hear them. Whether it be for big or small gestures, a simple appreciation would go a long way.
We hope you have a better understanding of how to write thank-you letters for different situations. We also hope the sample letters will give you a wider perspective about how you should write these letters. Send those thank-yous now! Your thank-you may just be what the recipient needs to hear now and might just be the reason his/her day becomes a whole lot brighter.
FREE 12+ Graduate School Recommendation Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 12+ Formal Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 19+ Endorsement Letters Samples & Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 14+ Sample Donation Thank You Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 40+ Introduction Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 5+ What to Include in a Commercial Lease Termination Letter [ Tips and Samples ]
FREE 10+ Sample Financial Hardship Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 11+ Sample Thank You Letter For Scholarship in MS Word | PDF
FREE 18+ Sample Letter of Credit in PDF | Word
FREE 12+ Sample Refusal Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 12+ Job Reference Letter Templates in PDF
FREE 15+ Sample Work Apology Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 12+ Sample Job Appointment Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 14+ Sample Resignation Letter Examples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 38+ Examples of Thank You Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF