Whatever the reason you have for wanting to leave your job, whether it be for better opportunities or because of unfortunate circumstances that you found inappropriate in the office, resigning from your job properly is always recommended. Aside from the fact that it will make your departure from the company be more positive, it will also ensure that you will not encounter any problem by the time you start looking for another job.
If you are resigning from your first job, it might be pretty hard to come up with the right words to say. You seriously do not want to sound offensive in any way especially if you are resigning because of negative reasons. You want to make sure you pick your words carefully. This is the reason why we are here to help you out! We will help you come up with a well-written resignation letter. You just have to follow some of our tips on how to resign, as well as a few things you need to remember when writing a resignation letter. Just keep reading and check out all of the samples that we have prepared for you in this article.
Free Sample Immediate Resignation Letter in Doc
Traditional Resignation Letter Sample
Simple Resignation Letter Format
Generic Resignation Letter Sample
Letter of Resignation in PDF
Simple Two-Week Resignation Letter
Basic Professional Resignation Letter Template
General Resignation Letter Template
Basic Elements of a Resignation Letter
For your resignation letter to be an effective one, you have to ensure that you include the basics. Such elements are:
- Complete name
- Contact information
- Proposed end date
Stating the return and inside address is optional since your resignation letter will only be circulating within your company. You can simply hand your letter to your supervisor or employer in person.
How to Write a Resignation Letter?
Writing a resignation letter may seem like a hard task. You certainly do not want to be remembered as someone who wrote a rude resignation letter. You see, you really want to make sure that you keep a good relationship with your employer even if you are about to leave the company. Think of it as one investment for a positive and strong recommendation letter that will definitely help you land a good job.
So how does one end up with a professional resignation letter? Read the following tips we have for you.
- Keep your emotions in check. You have to make sure that you are professional enough to handle this certain situation. Quitting your job can be pretty emotional and it can be quite easy to get caught up with it. Keep calm and keep personal emotions to yourself. Controlling your emotions will be beneficial as you will be able to think in a more critical manner, which can help you in choosing your words carefully.
- Keep it short. Your letter does not have to be very long. One page will be enough to say what needs to be said. A brief explanation and straight-to-the-point statements are recommended for resignation letters.
- Reasons for resigning. This part is optional as you are not obligated to do so unless you have been asked by your employer to put your reasons into writing. Most of the time, the reason why you are leaving is typically discussed in a scheduled meeting with your employer. If you are to state a reason in your letter, you may opt to write a vague one.
- Do not forget to say thank you. Your employer hired you for a reason. Thank your employer for the opportunity he/she has given you and for letting you share your skills with the company.
- Offer help. During the transition period, you may offer your help to ensure that everything goes smoothly and easy for your teammates and the employee who will replace you.
- Steer clear from negativity and end your letter positively. Even if you are not in good terms with your boss, do not make any negative comments in your letters. Remember to make your resignation letter polite and avoid using it as an avenue for ranting about your bad experiences in the company.
Basic Resignation Letter Format
Your resignation letter should be properly formatted. Proper resignation letter format will make your letter look professional and it will also make your letter easier to read. The basic format of a resignation letter contains the following information:
- Personal Details (optional). This information can either be placed on the top left side or the top right side of the page.
- Phone number
- Email address
- Date and Employer Details. These information are found on the left-hand side of the page. The name of the recipient, their designation, company name, and company address are included in this part of the letter.
- Salutation. Dear Mr./Ms. [last name of recipient]
- Body of the Letter
- The first paragraph – Directly state your intentions of leaving the company.
- The second paragraph – This is where you let your employer know how thankful you are for all the opportunities you have received while working in the company.
- The last paragraph – This is the part where you state that you are willing to help out with the transition period.
- Close in a professional manner
- Kind regards
- Signature. Affix your signature after the closing. Use a black or blue pen.
30-Day Notice of Resignation to Download
Best Resignation Letter Format in Doc
Sample Resignation Letter to Download
Free Sample Letter of Resignation
Basic Resignation Letter in Doc
Resignation Letter Example
Thankful Resignation Letter
Resignation Letter Sample
General Resignation Tips
Here are a few tips on how to resign that will be useful during this period.
- Make sure you tell your direct supervisor first. You want your supervisor to know firsthand instead of having him/her hear it from someone else in the office.
- Prepare your letter and refer to a few sample resignation letters if you are having a hard time coming up with the right words to say.
- Make sure you give appropriate notice. Two weeks notice is standard for most companies. However, giving of proper notice varies from one company to another. Make sure you check out the policies that our company has and review it properly.
- If you have been offered a new job or are applying for jobs that have better offers, do not brag about it to your office mates or your boss.
- Companies will usually conduct exit interviews for employees who are about to leave their jobs. During the exit interview, you can ask the HR about what is going to happen to your benefits and unused leaves after your departure. Do not hesitate asking any questions related to your resignation. This will also be your chance to give feedback to your employer.
What to Do If There Is a Counteroffer
A counteroffer will be given by an employer to you if he/she does not want you to leave the company. Counteroffers are usually in the form of an increase in salary or a promotion.
You do not have to rush into making a decision. Instead, assess if the counteroffer will help to resolve the reasons you have for leaving. Make sure you make decisions that you will not regret in the future.
When it comes to resigning from your job, you have to make sure that your decision is final. Think about the reasons why you are leaving. Weigh the pros and cons about leaving your job and see whether leaving would be the best option for you or otherwise. Resigning from your job should be well-thought of. You have to be prepared about leaving your job—emotionally and financially.
Still confused about how to write a resignation letter? That is okay! You can refer to the wide variety of resignation letter examples that we have here in this article. They come in two file formats, PDF and Word Document, that are compatible in with tabs, mobile phones, and computers. Pick one or a couple of resignation letter templates that you think will be a good fit for you and download at no cost!
We hope you learned a lot by reading our article. You are sure to end up with a well-written formal resignation letter that will be effective and will be easily understood by your employer. Good luck on the next chapter of your life and take it one step at a time!
131+ Sample Thank You Letters
35 Sample Resignation Letters in Word
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letter Templates
12+ Basic Rental Agreement Letter Templates
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letters
Free Sample Love Letters in Word
11+ Sample Thank You Letters for Gifts Free Download
12+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters
13+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
12+ Sample Appeal Letters
12+ Example of Appeal Letter Templates to Download for Free
11+ Appeal Letters – Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
14+ Appeal Letter Samples – PDF, Word
12+ Appeal Letters – Free Samples , Examples & Format
9+ Sample Retirement Resignation Letters