As an employee, you may be placed in a situation that requires you to quit your job despite your reluctance to do so. Sometimes, it is beyond one’s choice to stay or leave one’s job. Whether you are leaving your job for health reasons, for lack of motivation to do your job, or due to poor management, it is wise to end your employment with a formal resignation letter.
Organizing a resignation letter does not have to be a difficult task. Writing a resignation letter would be easier if you follow a template that can guide you as to the proper way of writing a resignation letter. For your convenience, we are providing you with a variety of resignation letter templates on this page that you may find of great use.
Formal Resignation Letters
Formal Job Resignation
Teacher Resignation Letters
Elementary Teacher Resignation
Teacher Retirement Resignation
What Is a Resignation Letter?
A resignation letter is a type of formal letter that is specifically prepared by employees to be sent to their employers or managers. As the name suggests, this letter’s purpose is to formally notify one’s manager or employer of one’s decision to leave one’s job. Here are some of the basic parts of a resignation letter:
- The heading
- The formal greeting
- The body of the letter:
- The statement of decision to resign line
- The reason for resignation
- Other discussions related to the resignation
- Formal thank-you to one’s employer or manager
- Formal closing
Whatever type of job position you may be resigning from, you have to incorporate certain elements in your letter that are congruent to the type of resignation letter you are writing. To know more about the varied components of a resignation letter, feel free to refer to our resignation letter and company resignation letter templates. These templates can show you the proper yet multifarious forms resignation letters can have.
Simple Resignation Letter
Auditor Resignation Letters
Current Auditor Resignation
Company Auditor Resignation
Academic Resignation Letters
Academic Job Resignation
Academic Position Resignation
Acceptance of Resignation Letters
Resignation Acceptance and Withdrawal
Acceptance of Employee Resignation
Board Resignation Letters
Non Profit Board Resignation
Board of Directors Resignation
When Is a Resignation Letter Effective?
The date of a resignation letter’s effectivity may vary. There are various factors that can affect the date when a resignation letter can be effective. The following are the multiple ways a resignation letter can take effect:
- A resignation letter usually takes effect on the date that is permissible in the employment contract. An employment contract contains terms regarding a notice period. A notice period is the specific duration of time that must be permitted to stretch between the moment a resignation letter has been submitted and the moment it takes effect. Usually, for the sake of fairness, a notice period can only run up to two weeks.
- In case the employment contract does not contain terms on resignation, one must follow the standard rules prescribed in the pertinent laws of one’s state regarding the effectivity of resignation letters.
- In the absence of both laws on resignation and a notice period set out in an employment contract, then the date wherein both the employer and employee would agree before the writing of a resignation letter must be followed.
When Can You Write a Resignation Letter?
There are various reasons for writing a resignation letter. Here are some of the most common reasons that push individuals to leave their jobs:
- Pregnancy complications
- Post-pregnancy complications (maternity resignation letter)
- Personal reasons
- Relocation of an employee to a distant area that makes it impossible for him/her to report to his/her office and perform the tasks required of him/her
- Terminal illness of an employee’s family member
- Health reasons
Whatever the reason for one’s resignation, you have to tailor-fit your resignation letter to suit the reason behind your resignation. To know more about the different types of resignation letters, download our templates on this page. We also have a collection of informal resignation letter templates that may be helpful to you.
Business Resignation Letters
Formal Business Resignation
Basic Resignation Letters
Basic Retail Resignation
Coaching Resignation Letters
Youth Coaching Resignation
Coaching Resignation Letter Format
Committee Resignation Letters
Church Committee Resignation
Committee Member Resignation
Executive Resignation Letter
Sales Executive Resignation
CNA Resignation Letters
2 Week CNA Resignation
Sample CNA Resignation
Can We Resign by E-mail?
With the increasing use of technology and social media in the corporate setting, it has become customary for office workers and their managers and employers to communicate through e-mail. That is why if you are planning to take advantage of the convenience of notification through e-mail, there are certain rules you can follow in ensuring that you are resigning properly.
- When resigning, you must avoid as much as possible sending a resignation letter that abruptly or immediately takes effect; not only is it impolite, it is also gravely inconvenient for your employers as they would not be given the time to look for a proper replacement.
- You must properly set up a meeting with your immediate head or your company’s human resource manager in order to discuss the proper reason why you want to resign and when you want to resign.
- You can only opt to send an employment resignation letter through an e-mail as a form of formality and only after you have previously set up a meeting with your head or manager.
Job Resignation Letters
Job Change Resignation
Job Resignation Notice
Nurse Resignation Letters
Staff Nurse Resignation
Request for Resignation Letters
Employer Request for Resignation
Request for Resignation Acceptance
Thank-You Resignation Letters
Professional Thank-You Resignation
Thank You After Resignation
Professional Resignation Letters
Professional Resignation Email
Professional Resignation Letter for Personal Reasons
Retirement Resignation Letters
Retirement Resignation Acceptance
Early Retirement Resignation
Tips in Writing the Best Resignation Letter
Do you need any help in writing resignation letters? Here are some tips that can aid you in your letter-writing:
- Write your resignation letter after you have verbally notified your employer or manager regarding your intention to resign. A formal meeting with your head is an essential step in writing an effective resignation letter as this helps you define the date and terms of your resignation.
- Observe the proper format of resignation letters. You may refer to our templates on this page for guidance.
- State in unequivocal terms the specific reason behind your resignation.
- As much as possible, offer your genuine willingness to help your employer find a candidate who can replace you after you leave your post. It is also polite if you state in your letter your willingness to help train the replacement.
- Always maintain a formal tone. Don’t ever rely on the intimate friendship you may have formed with your manager as a form of assurance that can negate the necessity of formality. Remember that you are writing a letter in the professional setting wherein formality is always a must.
For more reference, feel free to check out our school resignation letter should you be a professor or a school administrator who is planning to leave your respectable post in a school or university.
FREE 3+ Common Ways Job Applicants Mess Up Their Cover Letters in PDF
FREE 7+ Tenant Warning Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 12+ Sample Thank-You Letter to Employees in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook
FREE 12+ Teacher Cover Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Sample Job Application Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Non-Engagement Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 3+ Sample Hogwarts Acceptance Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | PSD
FREE 38+ Thank You Letter Templates in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 12+ Company Resignation Letters Samples in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 12+ Letter of Support Templates in MS Word | Apple Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 9+ Termination Letters in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 9+ Sample Offer Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Behavior Warning Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 10+ Doctor Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 8+ Job Applicant Rejection Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF