There are various methods of dealing with undesirable situations. This may be done through personally talking to the person/s involved or contacting them via phone or e-mail. At times when these attempts fail and worst comes to worst, complaint letters are filed against the person or entity that caused the problem. It is a formal way of dealing with situations that are difficult to resolve.
Complaint letters usually have a pattern and they are to be written with great consideration for the choice of words to imply the correct message and avoid misunderstandings. These Sample Letters help you draft a letter of complaint that would convey a polite and nonaggressive manner of dealing with problems.
Sample Complaint Formal Letter
Bank Complaint Letter Example
Free Complaint Response Letter
Landlord Complaint Letter to Download
Complaint Email Letter in Word
Parts of a Complaint Letter
Complaint letters contain elements similar to any kind of formal letter. (See Formal Letter Examples)
- Date when the letter was sent
- Sender’s address and contact information
- Recipient’s address and contact information
- The body of letter
- Complimentary close/closing salutation
How to Write an Effective Complaint Letter
A strongly written formal letter is powerful. Although they are almost always the last resort to resolving problems, they can deal with these situations. Despite how tedious it might seem to write one, it will always be worth writing. For your complaint letters to be effective and quickly resolve the problems presented, they should be
- concise and detailed in order to be understood quickly;
- authoritative in tone and choice of words must convey professionalism;
- based on facts (you can attach supporting documents, if applicable);
- encourage the recipient to make quick decisions by enumerating resolutions; and
- convey a sense of friendliness in order for the recipient to take this complaint positively. Avoid illegal threats of any kind to maintain the credibility of your letter.
You may also see Complaint Letter Format Samples for other examples.
Standard Reply Complaint Letter
Sample Complaint Letter in PDF
Basic Service Complaint Letter
Student Complaint Letter Free
Sample Education Complaint Letter
Ways to Send Complaint Letters
There are various platforms you can use when you want to send in your complaint letter. You may opt from any of the following:
- Handing it personally. A good example would be when you want to complain against a neighbor.
- Send it through certified mail. This can be effective when you are complaining against a retail store or service-oriented business. You can include a return receipt to ensure that they were able to receive your letter.
- Send it through e-mail. These may serve as a backup for complaint letters sent through the mail.
A complaint letter is issued whenever a situation calls for it and is an effective way of notifying an individual or a company of problems. Anyone can write one for any possible reason that may be disagreeable to the sender. In drafting one, always remember to take into consideration the feelings of the reader. After all, they are human too. Ensure that you do not sound rude or impolite. No matter how mad you may feel about a given situation, be aware of your choice of words. Take note that confrontation will not elicit good reactions from the recipient.
You may also want to refer to Letter of Complaint Samples.
10+ Sample Employee Thank-You Letters
10+ Student Reference Letters
10+ Employee Resignation Letters – DOC, Apple Pages
9+ Sample Recommendation Letter for High School Students
11+ Sample Job Recommendation Letters
8+ Sample Nursing Reference Letters
11+ Nurse Reference Letters – PDF, Word
8+ Sample Rental Reference Letters
8+ Sample Promotion Recommendation Letters
11+ Sample Promotion Recommendation Letters
10+ Sample College Letter Of Intent – PDF, DOC
10+ Pregnancy Resignation Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages
10+ Sample Resignation Letters in PDF
13+ Sample Thank You Letters After Phone Interview – DOC, PDF
44+ Sample Letters of Recommendation for Graduate School – DOC, PDF