Nowadays, saying thank-you has become a lost art, especially in showing appreciation for the little things that happen every day. Many people often forget the value of showing their appreciation to other people who have given them a favor, an opportunity, their time, or even maybe a simple gift. Although you can verbally show your appreciation for someone, something as simple as sending a thank-you letter or note can go a long way. Writing a thank-you letter is important to be able to show that you appreciate them and that you have taken the time and effort to personally write one.
There are various types of thank-you letters and things to say in a thank you letter that you can write depending on the purpose, as well as the person you are writing it for. Whether you are writing one for a friend, a relative, or for other people who have done something for you, expressing how you really feel through a written thank-you letter is essential. In the workplace, you can write a thank-you letter to your colleagues, peers, and most especially to your boss. Do you want to write a thank-you letter to your boss but don’t exactly know how to do it? Writing one for your boss can be a tricky task especially if you haven’t written a thank-you letter before.
You want to avoid coming across as a sycophant or someone who is only doing it to gain an advantage. If you want to know the steps in writing a thank-you letter to your boss, then this post is for you. Here, you will read about the essential steps in writing one and some useful thank you letter tips to guide you in the creation of one. Moreover, we have also included some instances when it is appropriate to write and send one to your boss. The samples and templates available below will also be useful in helping you format of thank you letter and outline your letter.
Thank-You Letter to Mentor
Work Experience Thank-You Letter
Thank-You Letter to Boss for Opportunity
When Can You Send a Thank-You Letter to Your Boss?
There are many reasons and instances wherein you can send a thank-you letter to your boss. Knowing the appropriate time to write a sample thank-you letter is important to ensure that he/she will appreciate your gesture. Below, we have listed the instances when you can send one to your boss.
- You can write a general thank-you letter to your boss when you get a bonus, a promotion, or a raise. Although it is basically from the company, your boss has played a role in helping you get that promotion or in receiving that bonus.
- There may come a time when your boss does a personal favor, whether it is for allowing you to take a leave from work, or maybe when he/she takes the time to mentor you and give you the advice to help you excel in what you are currently doing, it is important for you to send a printable thank-you letter to show him/her that you appreciate the favor that he/she has done for you.
- You can also send out a thank-you letter to your boss or manager when he/she lends you a hand. For example, if you encounter a problem with the task that you are doing and your boss offers to help by providing you with the resources that you will need to solve the problem, the best thing that you can do is to send him/her a thank-you letter.
- When your boss gives you an opportunity to succeed in your job or career by giving you important and big projects. This means that your boss trusts in your abilities and talents. This is also one of the instances when you can send a formal thank-you letter to your boss to express your gratitude.
Manager Thank-You Letter Sample
Job Experience Thank-You Letter
Thank-You Letter for Farewell to Boss
Essential Steps in Writing a Thank-You Letter to Your Boss
To ensure that you will have a well-crafted thank-you letter to your boss, here are the steps that you need to follow:
- First, choose the right paper for your letter. There are many types of paper template that you can use to write your letter on. The most important thing to remember is to add some flair to the letter that you will be creating to make it more personal.
- Address your boss or manager by writing a cover letter salutation. You can write the word Dear followed by the name of your boss.
- To start your letter, write a brief statement format expressing your appreciation for your boss. Thank him/her for the favor, opportunity, promotion, or gift that you have received. Whatever purpose you are writing the letter for, it is important for you to be sincere in your message.
- In the body of your thank you letter example, explain further your sentiments and write how the gesture has positively impacted you. Also, share how grateful you are for the company and how thankful you are for the things that you have learned from both your boss and from the people in the business.
- Thank your boss one more time before closing the letter.
- Write a closing line in the letter that you have created. You can write “Best Regards,” “Yours,” “Sincerely,” or “Yours Truly” to close your letter.
- Write your name in the letter that you have written and affix your signature. This will give a more personal touch to the letter that you have created.
Thank-You Letter to Boss for Resignation
Thank-You Letter for Appreciation
Simple Thank-You Letter to Boss
Thank-You Letter for Work Experience
Important Tips for Writing a Thank-You Letter
Here are some pointers that you need to remember when writing a thank-you letter or note.
- When creating a thank-you letter, it is always best to have a handwritten letter since it will give a more personal touch to the letter that you will be writing. If you prefer a more formal letter, you can also send one through email.
- Avoid writing a letter with more than one page. It is important to remember to keep your letter on point and concise.
- Remember to choose different kinds of paper, pen, or envelopes when writing a job offer thank-you letter. This will give an impression to your boss that you have really taken the time and effort to personally create one.
- Always remember to proofread your letter. This is so you can ensure that all the information, grammar, and punctuation are correct and free from any mistakes that you may have made while writing the letter.
Now that you have read about the steps and some guidelines for writing a thank-you letter to your boss, use them as a reference to guide you when creating your own thank-you letters. Additionally, should you need other types of letters, you can browse through our selection of various letters available for download on our website. Some examples of the letters available include a recommendation letter sample, scholarship application letter, and a business letter sample.
14+ Sample Invitation Letters
7+ Invitation Letter Samples
32+ Examples of Invitation Letters – PDF, Word, Pages
35+ Sample Invitation Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages
8+ Sample Thank You Letters for Interview
11+ Thank You Letter Samples
6+ Interview Thank You Letter Samples
23+ Sample Thank You Letters
38+ Thank You Letters
10+ Collection Letter Templates – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages
10+ Sample Collection Letters – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages, PDF
43+ Collection Letter Examples – Google Docs, MS Word, Apple Pages, PDF
8+ Sample Confirmation Letters – DOC
10+ Sample Welcome Letters
7+ Sample Welcome Letter Templates