Private high schools, primary schools, colleges, graduate schools—all educational institutions emphasize the importance of honing students who are not only well-versed in varied subject areas but are also well-balanced and socially-aware individuals who thrive and grow emotionally and ethically. It is exactly for this holistic approach of molding students that necessitates that these educational establishments must be goaded by the visionary guidance of a school counselor.
If you are looking to hire a competent and empathetic school counselor for your school or university, then it is best that you refer to a school counselor job description in order to hire the perfect counselor there is. To help ease you through the counselor selection process, we have collected easily downloadable school counselor Job Description Samples for you to choose from. Scroll down below to browse through our collection!
Sample High School Counselor Job Description
School Guidance Counselor Job Description
Elementary School Counselor Job Description
School Career Counselor Job Description
Middle School Counselor Job Description in PDF
Responsibilities of a School Counselor
- Counsel students to help them overcome potentially disturbing emotional, behavioral, and social problems.
- Evaluate the students’ traits and emotional well-being through surveys and vocational aptitude tests.
- Maintain confidentiality of the information divulged by students from counseling.
- To make psychotherapist referrals for students with grave mental health issues or emotional problems when deemed necessary and must do so with utmost confidentiality.
- When referring a student to a professional mental health practitioner, the school counselor must coordinate with this professional and consistently monitor the student’s progress.
- Maintain an organized record of relevant student information, survey results, and periodic counseling reports.
- Prepare a guideline for teachers/professors to follow in dealing with the emotional and behavioral aspects of the students.
- Consult with parents regarding educational, behavioral, and social needs of their children when necessary.
- Prepare activities that will develop the emotional and social well-being of the students.
- Initiate career-guidance seminars for students to attend and encourage their active participation.
- Monitor the academic progress of students and make appropriate interventions to improve student achievement and attendance.
- Analyze and interpret a variety of data in order to assist in the development of an appropriate educational program and placement for students.
- Assist students in planning realistic educational goals and understanding their aptitude and ability.
For other counselor-related job descriptions, click on the following links:
School Adjustment Counselor Job Description
School Counselor Assistant Job Description
School Counselor Job Description Example
School Counselor Intern Job Description
School Counseling Secretary Job Description
Qualifications of a School Counselor
- Possesses a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Counseling, Behavioral Psychology, General Psychology, or any related degree.
- Have the ability to cooperate with staff, parents/guardians, administration, and professors in the promotion of the students’ well-being.
- Possesses effective communication skills in dealing with students and keen on observing behaviors.
- Capable of establishing rapport in a short span of time.
- Patient in dealing with problem students and in resolving conflicts as to avoid being temperamental during these circumstances.
- Capable of preparing survey forms, aptitude tests, and several counseling documents that are necessary for counseling.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Capable of assessing the needs of students through a combination of intuition, critical thinking skills, and factual behavioral surveys.
- Capable of creating seminars, trainings, and other interventions in accordance with the results in the needs assessments.
Want more counselor job descriptions? Check out our collection of Camp Counselor Job Descriptions by clicking on the link provided.
5+ Video Game Designer Job Description Samples
9+ HR Payroll Job Description Samples
11+ Payroll Job Description Samples
10+ Editor Job Description Samples
8+ Case Management Job Description Samples
8+ Copy Editor Job Description Samples
9+ Administrator Job Description Samples
8+ Building Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description
9+ Property Management Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description Samples
11+ Sample Systems Administrator Job Descriptions
9+ Project Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Design Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Assistant Engineer Job Description Samples