A medical officer, commonly known as general practitioner, is responsible for providing personal, family, and community-oriented comprehensive medical care. He or she often reports to the chief medical officer (CMO) who in turn supervises all health care personnel to ensure the delivery of patient-centered, holistic medical care to the best of their abilities.
Our Job Description Samples for medical officer jobs are designed to show all the essential duties and responsibilities of qualified health care professionals who fit the description. These are all free to download and modify to fit user specifications and can be downloaded in either Word Doc or PDF file.
Sample Chief Medical Officer Job Description
Chief Medical Information Officer Job Description
Resident Medical Officer Job Description Example
Medical Records Officer Job Description in PDF
Resident Medical Officer Job Description
Medical officers are often employed by government health agencies to be assigned in communities that are in need of health care workers to provide health and development assessment and advice. He is also tasked with training and working with the nursing team to provide clinical guidance, hands-on training, and educational support on how to properly handle patients under their care in terms of medical support. His primary care responsibilities include the following:
- assessment of patient condition, maintaining clinical notes, and taking the necessary actions;
- prescribe medicines as he sees fit and advise patients based on their conditions to ensure the highest possible standards of patient care needed;
- perform urgent medical services like stabilization, assessment and diagnosis, and/or immediate resuscitation when necessary, and perform treatment and referral to a specialist if necessary;
- recommending treatment options for appropriate intervention and procedure like minor surgeries when necessary and prescribing medicines, advising, and educating patients through counseling or psychological interventions;
- establish and maintain teamwork and cooperation with other health care providers to ensure patients receive maximum benefit from coordinated care;
- examine and review patients at the request of consultants, initiate treatment as necessary, and inform consultants of any changes in the condition of patients; and
- be up to date of new developments in the field of medicine and corresponding literature, skills, and technology to respond to changes in medical procedures and work environment.
For other health care-related professions, do check out our Medical Assistant Job Descriptions and Medical Receptionist Job Descriptions. These are all available free for downloading and editing for user specifications and can be printed after downloading in either Word Doc or PDF file.
Medical Safety Officer Job Description
Senior Medical Officer Job Description
Medical Billing Specialist Job Description
Veterinary Medical Officer Job Description
Medical Review Officer Job Description
A medical officer may not be an expert in all disciples of medicine, but as a general practitioner, he must provide direct medical care. In cases like these, he must possess enough knowledge to be able to make vital decisions when a patient needs a life-and-death decision-making and he’s the only one with enough medical expertise to make a decision. Making a medical judgment is probably the most vital role that a medical officer needs to perform every now and then.
A medical officer may also need to actively participate in the organization’s community medical outreach programs that focus on health care for the entire community and help coordinate with community clinics and other activities that the organization supports.
For more health care-related professions, please check our website’s samples for Biomedical Engineering Job Descriptions. These examples have a comprehensive list of most of the duties and responsibilities of the profession.
11+ Payroll Job Description Samples
10+ Editor Job Description Samples
8+ Case Management Job Description Samples
8+ Copy Editor Job Description Samples
9+ Administrator Job Description Samples
8+ Building Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description
9+ Property Management Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description Samples
11+ Sample Systems Administrator Job Descriptions
9+ Project Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Design Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Assistant Engineer Job Description Samples
6+ Petroleum Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Activity Director Job Description Samples