Clinics, hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, laboratory, and medical testing centers—all these medical institutions require a medical billing or coding specialist who will handle the financial aspect of the business/organization. Among many responsibilities, a medical billing/coding specialist is the person who is in charge primarily with preparing invoices, code medical procedures, and send out bills to patients.
So if you are a hospital owner/manager, or a doctor who wants to open his/her clinic, then you need to be able to hire a billing specialist who fits the job most suitably. Moreover, once you’ve hired one, you need to ensure that he/she is made more accountable and productive by using a standard job description as an employee-managing tool. And for your convenience, we have a collection of medical billing/coding specialist Job Description Samples that you may download for free. These are available in PDF and .Doc format. Scroll down below and click on our templates to download!
Medical Billing/Coding Specialist Job Description Responsibilities
Medical Billing and Coding Job Description in Word
Sample Medical Billing and Coding Clerk Job Description
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Job Description Example
Downloadable Medical Billing and Coding Instructor Job Description
Essential Responsibilities of a Medical Billing/Coding Specialist
- Evaluates patients’ financial status and establishes budget payment plans
- Follows and reports status of delinquent account
- Prepares and submits clean claims to various insurance companies either electronically or by paper
- Answers questions from patients and insurance companies
- Translates patient information into alphanumeric medical codes
- Investigates and corrects rejected and denied medical insurance claims
- Maintains strict confidentiality and adhere to all guidelines and regulations regarding patients’ medical records and billing records
- Ensures timely collection of amounts past due
- Develop, implement, and consistently seek improvement in policies and procedures for all billing and reimbursement functions to ensure department activities are carried out professionally and ethically, and that patients are treated respectfully
- Participates and coordinates with the administrative team and other departments in order to ensure that all daily activities are completed efficiently and company goals are achieved
- Analyzes present billing systems and constantly develops and implements improvements in policies and procedure for all billing and reimbursement functions
Free Medical Billing and Coding Associate Job Description
Printable Medical Biller/Collector Job Description
Receptionist Medical Billing and Coding Job Description
Medical Billing/Authorizations Specialist Job Description
Medical Billing and Coding Job Description Resume
Qualifications of a Medical Billing/Coding Specialist
- While there are no specific degrees that are necessary in order to qualify for this job, it is important, however, that the applicant must at least obtain a minimum of an associate degree (preferably higher) or a certificate ensuring that the applicant has former training regarding medical coding and billings.
- Applicant must be aware of appropriate medical billing and collection practices.
- Applicant must have knowledge of business office/medical office procedures.
- Applicant must be knowledgeable in basic medical coding, medical terminologies, and other medical procedures.
- Applicant must have a working knowledge and capability to operate computer programs necessary for medical coding/medical billing.
- Applicant must have strong organization skill in coordinating with administrative staff and other departments.
Speaking of medical billing, you might also want to view our job description samples for other clerks/specialists in the medical field such as the Pharmacist Job Description Samples. Simply click on the link provided.
FREE 14+ HR Director Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ HR Intern Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Sample HR Coordinator Job Description Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Sample HR Manager Job Descriptions in PDF
FREE 10+ Sample Treasurer Job Descriptions in MS Word | PDF
FREE 6+ Environmental Engineer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 8+ Construction Worker Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 14+ Construction Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Manager Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 9+ Construction Management Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Laborer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 11+ Construction Superintendent Job Description Samples in PDF
FREE 11+ Sample Construction Project Manager Job Description Templates in PDF
FREE 10+ Consultant Job Description Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Contractor Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF