Managing editors are responsible for a myriad of aspects in any publication. They are not merely tasked with editing, but they also plan, assign duties, coordinate with junior editors, follow the mandates of the executive editor, instruct, coach, and discipline junior/associate editors, and represent the publication/company in community events and social function in case the executive editor is unavailable.
Indeed, this job position is abounding with crucial responsibilities, that is why if you are the manager, recruiter, or owner of a large-scale publication, then you need to ensure that your managing editor would be made aware of the specific parameters of his/her job position. You can do this by referring to a job description, and for your convenience, we have a huge collection of managing editor Job Description Samples that are available for download. Scroll down below and click on the ones that you prefer.
Print Managing Editor Job Description
Managing Assistant Editor Job Description
Managing Editor Job Description PDF
Managing Editor Website Job Description
Full time Managing Editor Job Description
Companies That Need a Managing Editor
- Large publishing houses
- Sports magazines
- Automobile magazines
- Lifestyle magazines
- Fashion magazines
- Online magazines
- Other media outlets that has more than 5 editors
Responsibilities of a Managing Editor
A managing editor must know how to perform the tasks of a basic copy editor, as well as other higher-level tasks that pertains to the management of one or more editing teams.
The following are the primary responsibilities of a managing editor:
- supervises the daily operations of the publication;
- reports to the editor-in-chief regularly or weekly;
- responsible for selecting the best job applicant for an editing position;
- oversees the associate and assistant editors;
- analyzes current trends in order to formulate content editing ideas that he/she can suggest to the editor-in-chief;
- assigns articles/manuscripts to be edited by junior editors;
- handles problems and conflicts within the editing team;
- answers questions from department editors;
- determines the importance of the varying articles and decides which articles or content must be placed on the front page, second, etc.;
- in the occasion that the editor-in-chief or the executive editor is not present, he/she will fill in the role temporarily; and
- when an executive editor is preoccupied with meetings, an associate editor would serve as the representative of the publication during community events and fund-raising events.
For a more comprehensive list of the managing editor’s job functions, download our well-crafted and informative templates on this page.
Are you handling a magazine publication? Here, we have a collection of Magazine Editor Job Description templates that you may download for free. Simply click on the link provided.
Newspaper Managing Editor Job Description
Deputy Managing Editor Job Description
Managing Editor Job Description Sample
Journal Managing Editor Job Description
Aside from the managing-related responsibilities, a managing editor must also be equipped with the skills and knowledge of a basic or associate editor. Some of those tasks are the following:
- edits content/manuscripts according to pertinent style manuals;
- codes manuscripts or contents in order for it to be ready for design features;
- instructs the production team regarding the design features of the content;
- oversees the work of indexers, typesetters, and graphic designers of the publication; and
- improves the overall quality of the content/manuscript by removing inconsistencies and repetitions, and using the most appropriate words and terms.
For more reference about the tasks of a basic editor, check out our collection of Copy Editor Job Description samples.
FREE 14+ HR Director Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ HR Intern Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Sample HR Coordinator Job Description Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Sample HR Manager Job Descriptions in PDF
FREE 10+ Sample Treasurer Job Descriptions in MS Word | PDF
FREE 6+ Environmental Engineer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 8+ Construction Worker Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 14+ Construction Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Manager Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 9+ Construction Management Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Laborer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 11+ Construction Superintendent Job Description Samples in PDF
FREE 11+ Sample Construction Project Manager Job Description Templates in PDF
FREE 10+ Consultant Job Description Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Contractor Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF