A magazine editor is someone who does not only correct grammar and spelling but also has different responsibilities, depending on the size of the staff and how well the department is organized. If you want to dive into the magazine publishing business, then you first need to understand the duties of a magazine editor. In choosing a magazine editor, you need to make sure that he/she possesses the essential skills, educational background, creative capabilities, and other qualifications that the specific position entails. In order to do so, you need to refer to a job description.
For your convenience, you may download form our collection of magazine editor Job Description Samples. Simply scroll down below and download the one that suits your needs!
Designer Magazine Editor Job Description
Magazine Managing Editor Job Description
Assistant Magazine Editor Job Description
Automotive Magazine Editor Job Description
A magazine is a periodical publication that is issued either weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly. This type of publication covers a particular subject or area of interest. The person who is tasked to write and edit the contents of a magazine is called a magazine editor.
Types of Magazines
- Lifestyle magazine
- Sports magazine
- Fashion magazine
- Furniture magazine
- Architectural magazine
- Interior design magazine
- Home decor magazine
- Automotive magazine
- Technological magazine
- Beauty magazines
- Celebrity magazines
- Music magazine (e.g. Rolling Stones)
- Film magazines
- Art magazines
Typical Duties of a Magazine Editor
The following are the most common job functions of a magazine editor regardless of the type of magazine he/she is working for:
- generate new ideas for stories and articles;
- conduct in-depth interviews with the relevant celebrities or persons who can be featured in the magazine;
- write and edit news stories, features, and other articles in accordance with the magazine publication’s rules and standards;
- selecting the most appropriate images to accompany the articles being written;
- coordinate with co-editors and managing editors in order to brainstorm what content to write and how best to approach a topic/subject matter.
- keep himself/herself up to date with current trends and developments in the magazine’s subject area in order to churn out more relevant and attractive content.
Speaking of content editing, you may also have a need for technical writers. If so, download our collection of Technical Writer Job Description Samples.
Senior Magazine Editor Job Description
Magazine Photo Editor Job Description
Magazine Copy Editor Job Description
Magazine Chief Editor Job Description
Necessity of Job Descriptions
Job descriptions are marvelous tools in smoothening any business operations. Here are some of the benefits of using it:
- It allows recruiters or HR managers to make informed hiring decisions by developing recruiting strategies that clearly outline to potential applicants their role and responsibilities.
- When conducting interviews, job descriptions can serve as the basis for the development of interview questions.
- It can aid in the development of standardized compensation program for each position.
- When the job expectations and requirements in the job description are not met, the job description can be used in determining which areas are in needs of training and development.
- It can serve as a tool for employee performance management.
Aside from job descriptions, we also have Copy Editor Resumes that are available for download.
9+ Administrative Assistant Job Description Samples
10+ Assistant Manager Job Description Samples
11+ HR Director Job Description Samples
11+ Dispatcher Job Description Samples
9+ Delivery Driver Job Description Samples
12+ Auditor Job Description Samples
9+ Night Auditor Job Description Samples
10+ General Intern Job Description Samples
10+ Accounting Intern Job Description Samples
9+ Office Intern Job Description Samples
10+ Business Intern Job Description Samples
10+ Summer Intern Job Description Samples
7+ Social Work Intern Job Description Samples
10+ HR Intern Job Description Samples
10+ IT Intern Job Description Samples