A leave letter allows you to formally request your HR or your manager for a leave. No matter how motivated you are to work, there are times when you are placed in situations wherein you cannot report to your place of work to perform your job functions. Most companies require their employees to file a formal leave request if they wish to be absent from their work. However, in moments when the reason for the necessity of one’s leave is unplanned, it may be difficult to file a proper leave beforehand. It is in cases like such that a leave letter must be sent to the HR manager. You may also see leave of absence letters
If you are currently in the process of writing a leave letter, then you need to make sure that it contains the proper format and content. For more information about leave letter examples, refer to our templates on this page.
Leave Letter Sample
Simple Leave Letter Template
Leave Letter Format
Official Leave Letter Template
What Is the Process of Requesting for a Leave of Absence?
Most companies have established certain policies regarding the proper way of applying for a leave of absence. Company owners and managers are strict when it comes to granting their employees the right to take a leave of absence from their jobs. This is because once an employee would take a leave of absence, the tasks that he/she is expected to perform could not be accomplished, or if it can be accomplished, it is usually the coworkers who suffer the brunt of having an additional task on top of their own.You may also see formal sick leave letters
Since business owners and managers are perfectly aware of the reality that in one way or another, their employees may have the need to take a leave of absence from work, they usually impose specific processes that must be undergone by employees who are thinking of taking a leave of absence. Usually, if the employee is aware of an event or circumstance that causes him/her to take a leave of absence, he/she would inform the manager before formally applying for a leave of absence.You may also see requisition letter
Sample Maternity Leave Letters
Maternity Extension Leave
Maternity Leave Application
Maternity Leave Request
Vacation Leave Letters
Annual Vacation Leave Letter
Vacation Plan Leave Letter
What Are the Steps You Need to Do before Sending a Leave Request Letter?
Policies on the proper way of requesting for leave may vary from one company to another. However, most companies follow more or less the same processes. Here are some steps that you must take before you can even think about sending your manager or employer a leave request letter:
Know your company’s policies on taking leaves.
As mentioned, companies are very precise when it comes to the leave application process. More often than not, you are required to do the following:
1. Notify the immediate manager.
It is only polite and courteous to talk to your immediate manager regarding your intention to take a leave of absence, especially if you plan on taking a long vacation. Employers and managers always prefer to be dealt with honestly by their employees and subordinates. Your honesty in making your reasons for taking a leave known would help strengthen the bond that you have with your employer or manager. Schedule an appointment or a brief meeting with your immediate head, team leader, or manager. During your talk with your manager, be open to them about the reason why you plan on taking a leave. Avoid resorting to lies, especially if you are planning to go on a vacation. Be upfront about it. Most managers will understand your need to relax and unwind. You may also see recommendation request letters
2. Send a leave request letter.
After you have given your manager an overview of the reason for your leave request, it is time for you to apply for a leave formally through a leave request letter. To know more about leave request letters, feel free to download our leave letter examples on this page.
3. Comply with the requirements demanded by your company.
Most companies would require their employees to fulfill certain tasks and obligations first before they can take their leave of absence. The most common requirement would be for the employee to supervise the training of his/her temporary substitute as this substitute is the one who would perform his/her job functions while he/she is on a leave.You may also see request letters formats
Request for Vacation for Leave
Sample Sick Leave Letters
Application for Sick Leave
Sick Leave Letter to Boss
Annual Leave Letter Examples
Annual Holiday Leave
Request for Annual Leave
Annual Leave Approval
Sample Emergency Leave Letters
Sample of an Emergency Leave Letter
4. Check the pertinent laws on the proper way of taking a leave.
It is not enough to observe the rules of your company pertaining to leave applications. More often than not, states regulate this leave application process as well. There are certain legal protections that are due the employee such as his/her right to
1. retain his/her job the moment he/she comes back from a leave,
2. not be demoted or relegated to other tasks that are not part of or are inferior to his/her job functions, and
3. not suffer unjustifiable penalties due to his/her leave of absence.You may also see casual leave application
Medical Leave Letter Samples
Leave for Medical Issues
Sample Paternity Leave Letters
Extension Parental Leave
Paternity Letter to Employer
Study Leave Letter Samples
Study Leave Application
Request for Study Leave
Study Leave Approval
Sample Unpaid and Paid Leave Letters
Sample Paid Maternity Leave Letter
Unpaid Long Leave Letter
Sample Sick Leave Verification Letter
Leave of Absence Letters
Approval of Medical Leave of Absence Without Pay
Request Letter for Medical Leave
Sample Leave Application Letters
Leave Encashment Application
What Are the Different Types of Leaves?
1. Medical Leave or Sick Leave
As the name suggests, a sick leave is any kind of leave that is requested by an employee due to a certain sickness or injury that he/she may be suffering from. There are two kinds formal sick leaves and those are the following:
- Paid Sick Leave – A paid sick leave is a kind of privilege leave that an employee is still paid his/her regular compensation on the days he/she has taken his/her leave. In writing this letter, you may refer to our formal sick leave letters.
- Unpaid Sick Leave – This kind of sick leave is not paid. The benefit of requesting a leave despite the absence of privilege or compensation is the fact that most companies would consider absences without a formal request for leave as violative of company rules against consecutive and repetitive absences. Absenteeism is indeed frowned upon by most institutions. One’s informal absence can result in a deduction of points from one’s employee metrics.
2. Vacation Leaves
In most countries, business owners are required to provide their employees with vacation leave, which usually consists of three days to one month per year. During this period, the employee may or may not still be paid a salary by his/her employers depending on the pertinent laws of the state. You may also see an application for leave.
- Paid Vacation Leave – A paid vacation leave is usually the kind of leave that is planned by the company or granted by the company to a deserving employee.
- Unpaid Vacation Leave
3. Emergency Leave
There are times when some unplanned thing occurred that forces us to deal with it first instead of reporting to your place of work. In such cases, all that you can apply for is an emergency leave. Most of the time, emergency leave is being requested through any immediate mode of communication such as but not limited to:
4. Maternity Leave
- Pregnancy is not a physically taxing time of a woman’s life. This is the time when a woman is most susceptible to bodily pains, injuries, and illnesses. While pregnancy might be physically challenging, it is the post-pregnancy phase that a woman would need time to recuperate as well as time to take care of her newly born child. That is why a woman is granted by most states with the right to maternity leave. This maternity leave usually spans 2 to 3 months and is a paid leave so that the woman would have a source of income to sustain herself and her baby. You may also college application letters.
5. Privilege Leave
A privilege leave is the number of days or months that a company would allow employees to go on paid leave. Most of the time, privileged leave is used by employees for their vacations. Sometimes, companies allow their employees to convert to cash their unused privileged leave at the end of every year.
Leave Request Letter Samples
Request for Medical Leave
Leave Request for Emergency
Sample Leave Extension Letters
Leave of Absence Extension
Leave Letter for School Samples
Vacation Leave for School
Sample Leave Letters for Office
Medical Leave for Office
Short Leave Application for Office
Request for Personal Leave of Absence
Personal Leave Letter Samples
Request for Personal Leave
Personal Emergency Leave
Sample Leave Letter for Personal Reason
Sample Teacher Leave Letters
Leave Letter to School Teacher
Teacher Leave Letter to Principal
Guidelines in Writing a Leave Request Letter
Here are some guidelines for you to follow should you have the need to write a leave request letter:
- Write a heading in accordance to the proper formatting of formal letters. Make sure that you include the following information in your heading:
- Your Personal Information
- your complete name
- your job position in the company
- your complete address
- Your Manager’s or Employer’s Information
- position title
- complete address
- Your Personal Information
- After the heading, greet your employer formally. Use the following:
- Dear Mr.
- Dear Ms.
- Dear Mrs.
- In your letter’s body, make sure that you can include the following information:
- your clear statement of your intent to request for a leave
- the description of the reason behind your leave request
- the specific time and duration of your leave
- your genuine thankfulness for the time and effort spent on considering your request
- if you are sending a letter after you have taken an emergency leave such as when you took an emergency sick leave, then it is your responsibility to attach documents that can serve as proofs of your claims. The most common attachment to emergency leave letters is medical certificates, which ascertains the veracity of one’s claim of having suffered from an illness or an injury.
- Lastly, close your letter formally with a polite remark such as
- Sincerely yours
- Truly yours
- Best wishes
- Warmest regards
- Affix your name and signature.
1. What is a Leave Letter?
A leave letter is a formal letter that is written by an employee and submitted to a manager to request a leave of absence from work. It should be formatted in a way that it gives your manager maximum notice for your absence.
2. What Format Should You Follow for a Leave Application for Office?
Make sure to follow this format while writing a leave application for office:
- Purpose of the leave application (subject)
- Reason for absence from work
- Number of leaves needed along with dates
- Work plan during your absence
- Your contact information
3. What Information Should Your Office Leave Letter Include?
Your office leave letter should include the following details:
- The date
- Your information
- Your manager’s information
- The reason for the request
- Your date of departure
- Your date of the return
- A request for permission to your manager/HR
4. What are Some Formal Leave Letter Writing Tips?
Here are some tips that you can follow while drafting your formal leave letter for work:
- Talk to your manager or direct supervisor and take verbal approval
- Maintain a polite and professional tone
- Include a thank-you note
- Attach necessary documents if required.
5. When is a Formal Leave of Absence Letter Needed?
A leave letter is needed when an employee decides to take time off from work due to personal reasons or if he/she is unwell. A leave letter is also needed when the employee takes leaves apart from those that are already granted by the organization.
FREE 8+ Job Applicant Rejection Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Application Letter Formats in PDF | MS Word
FREE 6+ Sample Coworker Recommendation Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 13+ Sample Formal Complaint Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 6+ Sample Recommendation Letter for Coworkers in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 6+ Sample Generic Letter of Recommendation in MS Word | PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Letter of Recommendation for Coworker in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 34+ Sample Formal Letter Formats in PDF | MS Word
FREE 7+ Coworker Recommendation Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE How to Write a Captivating Recommendation Letter for Employment [ Helpful Tips ]
FREE 6+ Thank-You Letters for References and Recommendations in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 36+ Payment Letter Formats in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 40+ Donation Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook
FREE 3+ Distribution Agreement Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 2+ Multi Society Immigration Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word