A payroll clerk is responsible to provide all the payroll needs of the company. He or she is the employee tasked to prepare the payroll of other employees and maintain a record of all the schedules, benefits, and compensation of the employees. More than these, there are also other clerical and administrative works that may be assigned to a payroll clerk.
We can provide you with the demands of the work of a payroll clerk and other functions that a payroll clerk does in the workplace. Moreover, we also have Job Description Samples of other job positions that you may use as references should you want to know the kind of job that will fit your expertise and other professional competencies.
Sample Senior Payroll Clerk Job Description
School Payroll Clerk Job Description
Payroll Billing Clerk Job Description
Accounting Payroll Clerk Job Description
Work Functions of a Payroll Clerk
A payroll clerk needs to do the following job functions in the workplace:
- create payroll worksheet top be used for the payroll processing and documentation;
- coordinate all the information that are needed for the creation of different payroll accounts to the concerned employees;
- maintain a record of the past payrolls and assure that these records are stored properly as they may be used for future transactions and as references; and
- assure the proper deduction in the payroll of employees, which may involve payment for insurance, different kinds of taxes, bonds, and other items that are subjected to be deducted in a specific payroll period.
Other Professional Functions of a Payroll Clerk
Aside from the abovementioned work functions of a payroll clerk, here are other professional functions that a payroll clerk is tasked to do:
- assure that all the timekeeping systems are working so that proper time reports of employees will be recorded accordingly;
- examine the payrolls of employees and assure that all the items that are included in the payroll are complete and accurate;
- assure that the payroll schedule is being followed and met with the highest accuracy;
- provide employees the information with regards to salary increases and promotions; and
- compile records and new employees, resignations, terminations, and absences.
For more job descriptions in this field of expertise, you may browse through our Payroll Coordinator Job Descriptions and Payroll Job Descriptions.
Assistant Payroll Clerk Job Description
Benefits & Payroll Clerk Job Description Example
Payroll Clerk Job Description Skills
Certified Payroll Clerk Job Description
Payroll Clerk Job Description Format
Can I Be a Payroll Clerk?
If you have plans in applying for a payroll clerk positions, you must first have the following qualifications and skills:
- you must be knowledgeable of different clerical and administrative duties and job functions;
- past experiences in payroll creation is an advantage;
- ability to execute all the payroll processes efficiently;
- ability to understand all the rules, regulations, and conditions of the company in terms of creating the payroll for its employees;
- be able to work fast as payroll activities follow a schedule and deadlines should always be met;
- you must be aware of all the systems that are used in payroll creation, maintenance, and safekeeping;
- you must have an exceptional communication skills, especially with regards to its usage in payroll explanation to the employees and other concerned parties; and
- you must always be organized as there are many details that you need to take note of and refer to when creating the payroll of employees.
Templates and samples of Payroll Accountant Job Descriptions are also available for download should you think that you can be more functional and productive in this job position.
11+ Payroll Job Description Samples
10+ Editor Job Description Samples
8+ Case Management Job Description Samples
8+ Copy Editor Job Description Samples
9+ Administrator Job Description Samples
8+ Building Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description
9+ Property Management Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description Samples
11+ Sample Systems Administrator Job Descriptions
9+ Project Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Design Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Assistant Engineer Job Description Samples
6+ Petroleum Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Activity Director Job Description Samples