You are all familiar with cover letters, excuse letters, business letters, and resignation letters, but are you familiar with academic reference letter? How about a job reference letter? Or personal reference letter? These are all formal documents required from you when you become a graduate student, especially if you’re looking for a permanent academic employment, or when you transfer to a new workplace the employer would ask for a job reference letter from your previous employer.
There are sample letters available to guide you if you don’t know the contents that are essential in the letter and the proper format.
Academic Reference Letter for Professor
Academic Request for letter of Reference in PDF
There is what we call an academic reference letter. It is one to two pages long that emphasizes the student’s character, the student’s academic performance and potential, and it could also include the student’s goals or the career path he/she would want to take. On the other hand, job reference letters are written by the previous employer. This letter should contain the qualities and skills you have that would make you suitable and qualified for the job you’re applying to. The letter should also be in a formal business format.
Tips on Writing a Job Reference Letter
- If you’re asked to write a job reference letter, evaluate the person internally if you think that person is really qualified for the job he/she is applying for. If you think that he/she is not competent or fit for the job, don’t agree in writing the letter. Remember to still decline the request with good manners.
- Mind your format. Make sure that the contents of the letter is formal, and use proper terminologies that are understandable and formal.
- Make the job description as your guide on what to write. This would help you be on the same page as the person you’re writing the letter for and to stick to the main subject matter.
- Keep the positive tone, but do not overdo it.
Academic Reference Letter Example
Academic Reference Letter for Scholarship
Another type of letter that is important for us to learn is the personal reference letter or sometimes called character reference letter. This letter is written by people who are aware of the professional skills and qualities of the person outside of work and not the employer. These people know the candidate on a personal level.
How to Write a Personal Reference Letter
Other than following a formal business format, if you request for a personal reference letter or if someone requested a letter from you, make sure you have all the vital details or information. Including the deadline and the recipient. Organize your thoughts and contents, and be specific on the main qualities. It is better to have a list of three to five qualities or skills that you want to highlight in the letter.
When to Use Personal Reference Letter
- When you’re looking for your first job. Job reference from an employer is not available in this state.
- When you’re not so confident regarding your employer’s job reference letter, you can use this as an additional supporting document.
- Loan application at the bank or school application might require you a personal reference letter.
FREE 3+ Distribution Agreement Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 2+ Multi Society Immigration Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 10+ School Excuse Letter Samples & Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 12+ Donation Acknowledgement Letter Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 10+ Job Application Letter Samples for Accountant in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 8+ Job Application Letter Samples for Employment in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 10+ Debt Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 15+ Landlord Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Camp Counselor Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 4+ Sample Faculty Position Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 4+ Internship Letter of Interest Samples [ Medical, Counselling, Summer ]
FREE 10+ Credit Dispute Letter Samples [ Card, Inquiry, Bureau ]
FREE 3+ Sample Proposal Letters for Funding in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs
FREE 5+ Sample Bid Proposal Letters [ Construction, Rejection, Acceptance ]
FREE 6+ Sample Construction Proposal Letters [ Project, Church, Building ]