“Scrubs” or surgical technologists are crew members to the ship that is the operating room. The chief surgeon is the captain, directing every move and decision to make. Taking orders and coming to the support of the chief surgeon are the different members that form part of every OR.
There is the anesthetologist, as well as a number of surgical assistants, surgical nurses, and surgical technologists. Also called operating room technicians, the help that surgical techs particularly gives to the chief surgeon is to perform “scrub roles.” Read further on this below, and in these 8+ surgical tech Job Description Samples.
Sample Surgical Technician Job Description
Traveller Surgical Tech Job Description Example
Surgical Technician Manager Job Description in PDF
Surgical Technologist Job Description Responsibilities
Surgical Technologist Job Description Duties
Broadly, surgical technologists prepare the operating rooms to ensure that they are always sterile for surgeries.
The Work of a Surgical Technologist
Surgical technologists perform these so-called scrub roles. These include
- the transport of patients to and from the operating rooms,
- the sterilization of surgical instruments, and
- the preparation of all the necessary equipment.
For the course of the operation, surgical technologists may also pass to the surgeon the instruments needed. Thereafter, they should also monitor and organize all the tools.
Surgical Technologists vs. Surgical Assistants
These two roles are often confused for each other, but there is in fact a very significant difference. Remember that surgical technologists prepare the surgical rooms and see to all the necessary instruments. Surgical assistants perform more direct roles to the operation. These include holding incisions open and suctioning blood to help the surgeons.
Surgical Technologists vs. Surgical Nurse
Surgical techs and assistants support the chief surgeon. By contrast, surgical nurses support the patients. They deliver care and assistance to patients during and prior to their surgical operations.
The body of literature on surgical operations are written by doctors, professionals, experts, and technical writers. A technical writer makes instructional work on their field of expertise, as with these Technical Writer Job Description Samples.
Surgical Tech Instructor Job Description to Download
Free Surgical Assistant Job Description
Printable Surgical Operating Technician Job Description
Basic Surgical Service Tech Job Description
This Sample Job Description lists more or less the following qualifications.
Qualifications of a Surgical Technologist
- Academic requirements. Courses for surgical technology are offered at vocational, community, or technical colleges. These programs run from a year to two, at most. Accredited hospitals and universities may also offer this course. The minimum requirement for admission into a surgical technology program is a high school diploma. According to the United States Department of Labor,
Surgical technologists are trained in the care and safety of patients, sterilization techniques, how to set up technical or robotic equipment, and preventing and controlling infections. In addition to classroom study, students also work in supervised clinical settings to gain hands-on experience.
- License and certification. Post graduation from the programs, certifications for practice are processed from involved organizations or national departments.
Other Qualifications for Surgical Technologists
Apart from these requirements, surgical technologists are also expected to possess the following qualities:
- Instinct. Good surgical technologists are able to anticipate the needs of surgeons. They are alert and observant every minute into the surgical procedures.
- Organization. Their duties, furthermore, demand that they have good organization and management skills.
5+ Video Game Designer Job Description Samples
9+ HR Payroll Job Description Samples
11+ Payroll Job Description Samples
10+ Editor Job Description Samples
8+ Case Management Job Description Samples
8+ Copy Editor Job Description Samples
9+ Administrator Job Description Samples
8+ Building Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description
9+ Property Management Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description Samples
11+ Sample Systems Administrator Job Descriptions
9+ Project Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Design Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Assistant Engineer Job Description Samples