Newspaper companies, publishing houses, and even advertising firms—basically all media outlet use photos in their daily publications. The quality of these photos are often as important as the written content. That is why, it is essential that these companies hire a competent photo editor.
For your guidance, we have collected a variety of photo editor Job Description Samples that are easily downloadable and ready-to-print. Scroll down below to view these samples.
Photo Editor Job Description Format
Video Editor Job Description in PDF
Associate Photo Editor Job Description
Job Responsibilities of a Photo Editor
A photo editor’s duties may vary depending on the type of company that hired him/her. Some of the common duties of a photo editor are the following:
- Manipulate photos/images in order to achieve the highest quality using the appropriate editing tools.
- Ensure that all photo equipment are used properly by photographers, photo editors, and other photography staff.
- Assign projects to photographers and provide them specific details regarding their photo projects and enforce their deadlines.
- Review photos, edit, and make the changes necessary to improve the photo quality.
- Coordinate with key agents of the company such as the writers, editors, graphics team in order to identify the photography needs.
- Decide on the most appropriate image to be included in a published article.
- Work closely with the editor-in-chief to ensure the highest quality of photography will be included in the print and other digital products of the company.
- Determines which photographer-applicant is the most fitting individual for the job.
- Keeps himself/herself abreast with technological developments in software and hardware that relates to photo editing.
- Constantly communicates with writers/editors in order to provide the best photos that will fit the narrative of the article or written content.
- Actively participates in trainings, seminars, and upgrades regarding photography.
- If possible, studies more advanced photography or photo editing-related programs/degree courses.
For more editing-related job descriptions, click on the following links:
- Editor Job Description
- Copy Editor Job Description
Assistant Photo Editor Job Description
Junior Photo Editor Job Description
Photo Editor Job Description Sample
Web Photo Editor Job Description
Typical Companies That Need a Photo Editor
- Newspaper companies
- Magazine companies
- Websites-based companies
- Marketing/Advertising firms
- Book publishing firms
Essential Requirements for a Photo Editor
- A degree in photography, visual arts, digital media, or any related field is preferable (if not necessary in most cases)
- Working knowledge of manipulating images and experienced in digital technology and various photo editing software packages such as Photoshop, Gimp, Pixlr, etc.
- Strong photo editing skills
- Excellent portfolio
- Creative and capable of producing photos that corresponds with written content.
- Prior work as a photographer or a photo editor is a plus.
Hire the Best Photo Editor: Use Job Descriptions
A job description contains a lot of categories that enumerates the specifics of a job position. The first step of recruiting a photo editor is to determine the qualifications that a job applicant must posses. In order to attract the most qualified applicants, indicate on your photo editor job posting the qualifications that are enumerated in the photo editor job description. Afterward, you can assess job applicants by creating interview questions that are relevant to the nature of the photo editing job and the type of company.
Speaking of publications and editing, you might also want to check out our collection of Technical Writer Job Description Samples. Simply click on the link provided.
5+ Video Game Designer Job Description Samples
9+ HR Payroll Job Description Samples
11+ Payroll Job Description Samples
10+ Editor Job Description Samples
8+ Case Management Job Description Samples
8+ Copy Editor Job Description Samples
9+ Administrator Job Description Samples
8+ Building Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description
9+ Property Management Job Description Samples
9+ Quality Engineer Job Description Samples
11+ Sample Systems Administrator Job Descriptions
9+ Project Engineer Job Description Samples
9+ Design Engineer Job Description Samples
8+ Assistant Engineer Job Description Samples