When you enter a health facility, you’re usually greeted at the reception by a clerical staff who welcomes you and asks what medical service you need. She then hands you a form that you can fill out and this in turn will be the basis by which your physician will base his diagnosis or prescription on. That person who is the first point of contact between you and your doctor is the medical secretary. A medical secretary receives patients and assists them by making them comfortable while retrieving their medical files.
Our Job Description Samples for medical secretaries are presented with an expansive list with which employers may base their descriptions on. These can all be downloaded and edited or modified according to specifications.
Sample Senior Medical Secretary Job Description
Medical Secretary Job Description Example
Trainee Medical Secretary Job Description in PDF
Medical Receptionist/Secretary Job Description
Private Medical Secretary Job Description Free
Medical secretaries do a lot of transcription and medical reports beside entertaining patients and making them fill out forms. They also need to have good communication skills that they can use to great effect by assuring patients they will be taken cared of. They should possess enough tact to be able to adjust accordingly to any patient that’s particularly agitated or nervous while waiting for the attending physician. They should be prepared for cases where the patient is clearly in pain and should use her better judgement to try and convince the other patients waiting and tell them to the best of her ability that the patient needs to be given attention first.
Aside from those things, the medical secretary is expected to do the following:
- perform administrative and support functions and be familiar with various medical terms and functions;
- completes medical forms, records, and assists in patient paperwork for insurance purposes;
- be ready to take the place of other medical staff related to the secretarial team when they go on sickness and annual leave;
- receive incoming calls and inquiries from patients relating to their medical cases and initiate outgoing calls to facilitate communication with either patient or physician and taking their messages;
- to liaise with hospitals and other health care institution in case the patient needs to be transferred to a specialist on another facility or upon request by the patients themselves;
- establish and maintain filing of records in the administrative system’s computers for easy accessibility and record security; and
- maintain the secrecy of patient records and never discussing about them with non-qualified medical staff in and outside the health care facility.
For more professions related to health care, please check out our website’s other samples like Medical Records Manager Job Descriptions. These are all free to download on both Word Doc and PDF files.
Simple Medical Secretary Job Description
Example Medical Secretary Job Description
Medical Unit Secretary Job Description
A career as a medical secretary is a good option for those who want to work in health care facilities performing non-medical duties. Of course, it would help if you have a background in any of the medical courses being offered because there are medical terms that need to be understood when taking records or transcribing a physician’s medical jargon.
Being a medical secretary shouldn’t mean you should be stuck in the same position for years. With enough experience gained, you can be promoted into a managerial position or you may opt to study a medical course and become a health care professional yourself.
For more health care-related job description samples, please check out our Medical Assistant Job Descriptions for users who may want to know more about being a medical assistant.
FREE 10+ HR Intern Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Sample HR Coordinator Job Description Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Sample HR Manager Job Descriptions in PDF
FREE 10+ Sample Treasurer Job Descriptions in MS Word | PDF
FREE 6+ Environmental Engineer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 8+ Construction Worker Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 14+ Construction Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Manager Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 9+ Construction Management Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Laborer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 11+ Construction Superintendent Job Description Samples in PDF
FREE 11+ Sample Construction Project Manager Job Description Templates in PDF
FREE 10+ Consultant Job Description Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Contractor Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 7+ Sample Cardiologist Job Descriptions in PDF