Why is sending out a thank-you letter essential? Writing a thank-you letter is the simplest way to show that you value or appreciate a gift or opportunity that another person has given you. There are a number of reasons why we write thank-you letters. If you’ve recently been in a job interview for a particular position, sending a thank-you letter after the interview will increase your chances in getting hired. A thank-you letter is also useful if you want to sincerely express your gratitude for a particular donation or funding that an organization or entity has provided your cause. These are only some of the reasons why a thank-you letter is important.
Crafting an effective thank-you letter doesn’t require you to be an exceptional writer. The most important part of writing a thank-you letter is to ensure that you are sincere and you show that you are grateful for that particular person or entity’s help. Having a hard time writing your letter? Then you’ve come to the right article! Here, you will be able to learn more information about writing your letter, the contents of an effective thank-you letter, some killer tips, and other relevant details that will be useful to you. We have also provided you various samples and templates that you can download in this article such as a volunteer thank-you letter sample, donation thank-you letter template, email thank-you letter samples, and so on.
Donor Thank-You Letter Template
Physician Thank-You Letter Sample
Email Thank-You Letter to the Member of Congress
Sample Judges Thank-You Letter
Essential Pointers for Crafting Your Thank-You Letter
There are certain pointers or tips that you need to follow when writing your thank-you letter, whether you are writing a thank-you letter for the purpose of business or for a more personal reason. We have provided you a number of tips that will be useful in helping you create an effective letter.
The important pointers for crafting your thank-you letter are as follows:
- Always check the format of your thank-you letter. To make it easier for you, you can download the templates we have available in this article and on our website to ensure that you will have the appropriate format or outline for your letter.
- Remember to choose the right font style and size for the letter that you will be writing. Depending on the purpose of your letter, you would need to use traditional fonts like Times New Roman, Calibri, and Arial when creating a business thank-you letter. For the font size, you can choose between the sizes 10 to 12.
- Ensure that your thank-you letter is accurate and does not contain any misspellings, errors, and other mistakes. Proofread the letter that you have written before sending them out to the recipient.
- If you are writing a job interview thank-you letter or any thank-you letter for an urgent matter, it is important to remember to send one within 24 hours. This is to ensure that the recipient of the letter gets the document on time.
- Always keep your thank-you letter concise. A thank-you letter that exceeds more than a page is unnecessary and will not be as personal as a thank-you letter should be.
- You can either choose between a printed or typed letter, a handwritten letter, and an email thank-you letter. For important matters, an email thank-you letter is acceptable, especially when it is work related. For a more personal approach, a handwritten letter is preferable since it gives the recipient the impression that you have taken the time to write one, which will make them appreciate the gesture more.
- Always be sincere and genuine when expressing your gratitude or appreciation.
Sample Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Sample Thank-You Letter for Candidates
Sample Thank-You Letter to Reporter
Why Write a Thank-You Letter?
Writing a thank-you letter can be useful for a variety of reasons. In order to help you effectively create your letter, it is important to understand the purpose of writing one. Here are a few of the reasons why you should write a thank-you letter:
- Sending a letter after a job interview allows you to thank the interviewer or potential employer for taking the time to interview you. You can also take this opportunity to sell yourself and remind them of your skills and why you will be the best candidate for the job position.
- A thank-you letter is also useful if you want to thank a particular entity or organization for the donation that they have given you.
- Through a thank-you letter, you will be able to build a strong relationship with another person since it shows that you value and understand the other person’s feelings, beliefs, etc.
How to Effectively Outline Your Thank-You Letter
An effective thank-you letter should have an organized format. To help you create and outline your letter, the components of a thank-you letter are as follows:
- Header: If you are writing a formal letter such as a business thank-you letter, the header should include the company name of the recipient, address, contact number, and other relevant information. For a personal thank-you letter, you can write the date when the letter is written.
- Salutation: The salutation is where you will be addressing the recipient of the letter. In a formal thank-you letter, address the person by saying, “Dear, Mr./Ms.,” followed by the person’s name. If you are writing a thank-you letter for a friend, relative, or in other words, a personal letter, you can write the words “Dear,” “Dearest,” “Hi,” “To my friend,” followed by the name of the recipient.
- Body: Start the body paragraph by thanking the person for the gift, opportunity, donation, etc., that he/she has given you. For example, if you are writing a job interview thank-you letter, start your letter by showing your appreciation for the time he/she has taken to interview you. This is the section where you will be able to fully express your gratitude and talk about all the things that you may want to talk about with the recipient of the letter.
- Closing line: To end your letter, think of a closing line that will match the type of thank-you letter that you are writing. The words “Sincerely,” “Respectfully,” “Truly Yours,” and so on are a few examples of a closing line for a formal letter. For a more personal letter, you can close your letter by writing “Love,” “Cheers,” “Much Love,” followed by the name of the person.
- Signature: Include your signature in the thank-you letter that you are creating, especially if it is a handwritten letter. This will give a more personal touch to the letter that you have written.
Sample Volunteer Thank-You Letter
Vendor Thank-You Letter Template
Work Experience Thank-You-Letter Template
Steps in Creating Your Thank-You Letter
Understanding the steps in creating a thank-you letter is important, especially if you need to create one from scratch. The steps in creating your thank-you letter are as follows:
Step 1: Choosing the format of your thank-you letter
- Decide whether to create a handwritten or typed thank-you letter. A handwritten thank-you letter is preferable if you want a more personal-looking letter. If you want a more professional-looking thank-you letter, a typed letter is better.
- Pick the material that you will be using to write or print your letter on. You can choose from a variety of materials such as a stationary, different types of paper, a thank-you card, and so on.
- Other than a handwritten or printed thank-you letter, you can also express your appreciation for another person through email. An emailed thank-you letter is appropriate if a particular matter is urgent and you need to send one as soon as possible.
Step 2: Writing the letter
- To make it easier for you to create your thank-you letter, you will find various types of thank-you letter samples and templates in this article that you can download.
- First, write the date of the letter that you will be writing. If you are writing a business thank-you letter, write the heading by including the name of the organization, the address, and contact information.
- Write the salutation or greeting. Choose a greeting that is appropriate for the type of letter that you are writing. For a personal letter, write a more friendly greeting such as “To my favorite,” “Dearest,” etc.
- As an introduction, state the purpose of why you are writing the letter. If the person has sent you a gift, indicate that you are writing the letter to thank them for a particular gift that he/she has given you.
- Write the rest of the contents of the letter that you are writing. In the body of the letter, you can share some news or other things that you may want to tell that person. This is where you will build your relationship with that person by telling them that you appreciate the gesture, opportunity, gift, and so on.
- As a conclusion, thank the person again and write the closing line by saying “Love,” “Sincerely,” “Many Thanks,” etc. After the closing line, write your name and include other details that you may want to write such as your contact number.
- Write your signature above your name to give a more personal touch to your letter. If you are creating a typed letter, you can include a digital signature or you can just include your name in the letter that you have created.
131+ Sample Thank You Letters
35 Sample Resignation Letters in Word
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letter Templates
12+ Basic Rental Agreement Letter Templates
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letters
Free Sample Love Letters in Word
11+ Sample Thank You Letters for Gifts Free Download
12+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters
13+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
12+ Sample Appeal Letters
12+ Example of Appeal Letter Templates to Download for Free
11+ Appeal Letters – Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
14+ Appeal Letter Samples – PDF, Word
12+ Appeal Letters – Free Samples , Examples & Format
9+ Sample Retirement Resignation Letters