Nothing is more appreciated than a good formal thank-you letter sent to someone who deserves it! One can be sent to show that you appreciate a gesture, formal and informal situations alike. Well-written thank-you letters for business-related situations give a sense of professionalism and are great ways of ensuring that business relationships remain secure and intact.
Writing a formal thank-you letter can be quite a task and can also pose as a challenging thing to do. Luckily, we are here to help you out! We have compiled useful tips and helpful guidelines about thank-you letters that we would like to share with you. These tips and guidelines will give you a good head start when it comes to writing your thank-you letters. To help you out some more, we have uploaded some formal thank-you letters! We assure you that the samples that we have to share are high in quality. Isn’t that great? You get good quality samples for free! To know more about formal thank-you letters, just keep on reading this article.
Formal Thank You Letter for Interview
Thank You Letter for Scholarship
Professional Thank You Letter
Post-Internship Thank You Letter
Email Thank You Letter
Formal Thank You Letter After Interview
Sample Formal Thank-You Letter
Thank-You Letter Format
Thank You Letter to Your Mentor
Proper Way of Writing a Formal Thank-You Letter
A formal thank-you letter is a great way of being able to cultivate a good business relationship with the recipient. A thank-you letter needs to be handed out for circumstances that involve someone who has allotted a portion of his/her time to spend on you. For example, when you have come from an employment interview, you should prepare a thank-you letter after job interview to ensure that you are able to increase your chances of getting hired compared to those who did not send one.
Another circumstance that may need a thank-you letter is one that involves being granted a scholarship grant. In this situation, giving a sponsor thank-you letter to the donor of the scholarship would be a good way of letting them know how much the scholarship will help you with your education.
When it comes to writing a thank-you letter, you have to be sure everything that is reflected in your letter has words that are chosen carefully. We have a few guidelines for thank-you letters that will make the letter-writing task a whole lot easier for you.
Basic Formal Thank-You Letter Format
There are a lot of different ways of writing a thank-you letter. However, for formal thank-you letters, following a formal letter format is highly advisable.
The typical details that you will usually see in a thank-you letter are the following:
The heading of your letter will be composed of your details, the date the letter was written, and the details of the recipient. In any case you have a personal letterhead, it should be attached at the top of the page.
A cover letter salutation that is personalized and properly addresses the recipient is deemed to be appropriate for formal thank-you letters. So ensure that you have the correct title of the recipient (i.e., Dr., Atty., Dir., Mr., Ms., etc.). Follow the title with the recipient’s last name. Ensure that you also spell the name of the recipient properly.
Body of the Letter
The body of the letter will be composed of about three to four paragraphs. This should be enough to properly convey to the recipient about how thankful you are.
Make use of a complimentary close that will be a good fit for the formal thank-you letter sample you are writing.
- Yours truly
- Best regards
Sign the Letter
Allot a few spaces after the complimentary close and type in your name. Sign above your typed name. Use the best sign pen you have in either black or blue ink.
Tips to a Good Formal Thank-You Letter
- Use unruled, clean paper or stationary. Writing a paper in 20lb will be best as it does not crumple or rip easily.
- Keep the size of the paper to either short (8.5″ × 11″) or A4 (8.27″ × 11.69″).
- Keep the font styles and font size professional and formal. Font styles in the Serif or Sans Serif family are appropriate and font sizes between the sizes 10pt–12pt are great for these letters.
- Keep the margins between 0.5″ and 1″.
- Keep your thank-you letter brief. One page is enough.
- Make sure that you proofread the letter and make all the necessary edits.
- Observe proper spacing in your letter. Single spacing should be observed. Allot one space in between each paragraph to ensure that you make good use of white space as to not strain the eyes of the reader.
- Thank-you letters are deemed to be important, so following proper formatting should be done.
What to Say in Your Formal Thank-You Letter
- State the reason why you are saying thank you. Be straight to the point and state the occasion that calls for the need of a professional thank-you letter.
- Explain why you find the favor done for you by the recipient beneficial. Tell the recipient how much you appreciate what they did. No matter how big or small the gesture is, just show the recipient that what they did made an impact on you.
- Before closing your letter, make sure that you reiterate your thanks. Remember that the first and last part of your letters are the most vital things that the recipient of your letter will get to read. Reiterating your thanks makes your letter a whole lot memorable to the reader.
Professional Formal Thank You Letter
Business Interview Thank-You Letter
Formal Scholarship Thank-You Letter
Interview Thank You Letter
Donation Thank You Letter
Thank-You Job Offer Acceptance Letter
Thank-You Letter for Gift
Formal Thank-You Letter Example
Thank You Appreciation Letter
Uses of Formal Thank-You Letters for Business
There are certain situations in the business world that may call for the need of a business thank-you letter. Some of the circumstances are as follows:
- Appreciating the efforts done by a speaker during a business meeting agenda.
- Appreciating the continuous patronage of a loyal customer.
- Letting employees know that their efforts in performing well are greatly appreciated.
- To thank customers for referrals.
- Appreciate the efforts done by volunteers of a project.
Thank-You Letter Etiquette to Stick To
- The length of the letter should be directly proportional to the gift or gesture that was done. For big gestures, a lengthy one with full details is appropriate while for smaller gestures, a short thank-you note will be enough.
- Send your thank-you letters as promptly as possible. The sooner you write one and send one, the better. Within 24–48 hours, business-related thank-you letters should be sent. For other instances, sending a thank-you letter within the week would be seen as an appropriate time frame.
- If you are going to write a letter of thanks, make sure that you make use of the space of your business card properly and that you make your penmanship legible.
Making Use of Formal Thank-You Letter Samples
We included about free sample thank-you letters that you can definitely use as a good reference for writing your very own thank-you letter. The great thing about the samples we have is that they are high in quality and will most definitely not burn a hole in your pockets or wallets as they can be acquired without any charge. So how do you get a hold of our awesome samples? Simple! Follow the steps below:
- Pick the sample that you like best. You can pick as many letter examples as you like that you see as a good fit for the situation you will be writing the letter for.
- Beside the sample, there is a clickable Download button that will change into a Verify button.
- You will be asked to fill out a captcha. Make sure you follow the exact captcha reflected so that it will be easier for you to verify.
- Click on Verify. This will revert it back to a Download button. Click on the button and save your file(s).
It’s that easy! So download the samples you need, follow the guidelines, and start writing your own printable thank-you letter!
9+ Notice of Termination Letter Samples & Templates in Word | PDF
9 Maternity Resignation Letter Samples & Templates
16+ Lease Termination Letter Format Samples & Templates in Word | PDF
8+ Client Thank-You Letter Samples & Templates in Word | PDF Format
28+ Contract Termination Letter Examples & Templates in Word | PSD | PDF Format
11+ Letter Writing Samples & Templates in PDF | Word
15+ Tenancy Termination Letters in PDF | Word
17+ Short Resignation Letter Samples and Templates in PDF | Word
6+ Retirement Resignation Letter Samples and Templates in PDF | Word
3+ Rental Termination Letter Samples and Templates in PDF | Word
6+ Resignation Letter with Regret Samples and Templates in PDF | Word
15+ Lease Termination Letter Samples and Templates | PDF
15+ Tenancy Termination Letter Samples & Templates in PDF | Word
8+ Purchase Order Letter Samples and Templates | PDF
16+ Formal Termination Letter Samples and Templates in PDF | Word