In the course of our lives, we are placed in situations that necessitates us to write a formal letter to a private individual, a company, or an organization. Formal letters have been used widely since the days of old when monarchs communicate to their subjects and vice versa. The reason why the practice of writing formal letters has surpassed the test of time is because of its effectivity in terms of communicating formal concerns.
Whether you are a businessman, a fresh graduate looking for a job, or member of a nonprofit organization who is seeking for monetary aid, you need to know how to best approach your problems or concerns by addressing the right people and organizations. Moreover, it is not enough that you send a letter expressing your intent, you also need to craft a letter that is specific and appropriate for the purpose of your letter. That’s why if you are still new formal letter-writing or even an experienced one, you can benefit the most by downloading our templates on this page and use them as your guide. Scroll down below to view our templates on Formal Letter Formats and select the one that suits your needs!
Formal Business Letter Format
Formal Business Cover Letter Format
Formal Business Thank You Letter Format
Formal and Informal Letter Format
Personal Formal and Informal Letter Format
Formal and Informal Planning Letter Format
Formal Resignation Letter Format
Formal Business Resignation Letter Format
Formal Resignation Letter in Word Format
Formal Request Letter Format
Formal Letter Format for Holiday Request
Formal Business Request Letter Format
A formal letter is a type of letter that is sent with the intent to communicate a formal concern. By formal concern, it means that a person is writing to someone or to an institution that he/she is not personally engaged with. In other words, a formal letter is sent by an individual in his/her formal capacity.
There are various reasons why someone would write a formal letter and some of those are the following:
- to acquire an establishment, apartment, or commercial building;
- to seek the counselling of an attorney;
- to request an appointment with a physician (dermatologist, general practitioner, gynecologist, etc.);
- to request an appointment with any professional;
- to request the payment of an overdue amount;
- to invite someone or an organization to a formal event;
- to offer partnership to a potential business partner;
- to decline or accept a partnership offer;
- to negotiate the terms of a partnership offer;
- to ask permission to conduct research using an institution’s facilities or resources;
- to ask for financial aid for an academic research;
- to request official documents for whatever official and legal purpose;
- to apply for a job;
- to apply for a scholarship grant;
- to apply for a leave;
- to apply for a job promotion;
- to apply for college degree program;
- to apply for a graduate course;
- to apply for law school;
- to apply for medical school;
- to request a vacation leave;
- to purchase an object or property;
- to accept an offer;
- to decline an offer;
- to negotiate the terms of a contract;
- to terminate a contract;
- to initiate a lease agreement;
- to alter the terms and conditions of any type of agreement;
- to request someone to write an employment recommendation letter; and
- to request someone to write an academic recommendation letter.
Importance of Observing Formal Letter Formats
Indeed, there are more reasons for writing a formal letter. What matters the most is that when one sets out to write one, he/she should observe the proper format for the type of formal letter that he/she is writing. Here at sampletemplates.com, we are providing you with ready-to-print formats of formal letters. These templates contain the specific layout of the various kinds of formal letters. Moreover, you will also be guided as to the proper content that must be included in the different parts of your formal letters. Subscribing to a standard format will not only help you to effectively realize the purpose of your letter but also for your process of letter-writing to go more smoothly and easily without compromising its quality and accuracy. That is why, if you are thinking about writing a formal letter, go ahead and download our templates now! These are flexible templates of Sample Formal Letters and you may choose to fill in these templates should you feel it easier to do as compared to writing your letter from scratch. Or if not, you can always refer to our format templates as your guides in writing your letter.
Formal Cover Letter Format
Formal Email Cover Letter Format
Formal Resume Cover Letter Format
Formal Invitation Letter Format
Formal Meeting Invitation Letter Format
Formal Invitation Letter Format for Event
Formal Complaint Letter Format
Formoal Business Complaint Letter Frmat
Formal Legal Complaint Letter Format
Formal Letter Format Example
Formal Solicitation Letter Format Example
Formal Greeting Letter Format Example
Formal Business Letter Format
Formal Email Business Letter Format
Formal Business Proposal Letter Format
A Wide Array of Formal Letter Format
On this page, we are providing you with a variety of formal letters with their corresponding formats. Feel free to scroll down this page and download our templates!
Formal Resignation Letter Format
A Formal Resignation Letter is the letter that an employee would send to his/her employer or manager in the event that he/she decides to leave his/her job position in his/her current company. There is a proper procedure in tendering one’s resignation. As a matter of fact, it is insufficient for an employee to simply send a resignation letter without thinking of the various factors and rules that may affect its legality or appropriateness. Below are some helpful tips for someone who plans on tendering his/her resignation any time soon:
- Check the laws of the state that your company is in and assess whether or not your grounds for resignation is legal. Otherwise, the company might have reasonable right to file an action toward you due to your illegal resignation.
- Perhaps the most important rule of all is to check the terms and conditions of your employment contract as well as the company rules regarding proper resignation. Always make sure that you are going through the proper procedure of tendering a resignation. Moreover, you also have to ensure that you can comply with the requirements necessary for resignation should your company prescribe you to do so.
- Speaking of company rules of resignation, most companies require their employees to observe a notice period in tendering their resignation. For clarity’s sake, a notice period is the duration of time between the tendering of resignation to the actual effectivity of an employee’s resignation. Usually this period consist of two to three weeks in which the company or employer would use such time to look for qualified substitutes who can fill in the position once the resigning employee leaves his job position. This time can also be spent by the resigning employee to render his/her last service to the company by training the staff or employee who would fill in his/her position when he/she resigns.
Formal Job Application Cover Letter Format
A job application cover letter, or simply known as cover letters, are the documents that are attached to the resume. This letter serves as the overview of the resume’s contents. A cover letter must only be a one-page document and you must enumerate only those qualifications and attributes which concurs to the qualifications required of the specific job position that you are applying for. When writing this letter, make sure you include the following information:
- the specific job position which you are aiming for;
- your relevant job experience, which you have gained enough skills and knowledge that can help you perform your job efficiently should you be hired in the company in that specific job position that you are applying for; and
- the relevant educational background.
You may check out some of our sample Cover Letter Formats should you need them.
Formal Dispute Letter Format
Formal Debt Dispute Letter Format
Formal Credit Dispute Letter Format
Formal Excuse Letter Format
Formal Excuse Letter Format for School
Formal Excuse Letter Format Sample
Formal Leave Letter Format
Formal Job Application Letter Format
Formal Personal Letter Format
Formal Personal Thank You Letter Format
Formal Personal Reference Letter Format
Formal Offer Letter Format
Formal Job Offer Letter Format
Formal Offer of Employment Letter Format
Formal Leave Application Letter Format
A formal leave application letter is sent by an employee for the purpose of applying for a leave. The usual recipient of a leave application letter are the following:
- a manager,
- a human resource staff,
- a human resource manager,
- a department head,
- a team leader, and
- an employer.
The act of applying for a leave does not always lead to the grant of the right to leave. Oftentimes, the authority to assess whether an employee’s circumstance deserves a leave grant falls upon the shoulders of the human resource manager or simply, the general manager. There are various types of leaves and some of the most commonly used ones are the following:
- Medical Leave – A medical leave is otherwise known as a sick leave. This type of leave can only be applied for when an employee is suffering from an illness, disease, or an injury that can incapacitate him/her from performing his/her job functions properly. If you are applying for this type of leave, make sure that you attach a copy of your medical certificate in order to verify the truthfulness of your medical condition.
- Vacation Leave with Pay – Almost all companies, especially the most stable and successful ones, value their employees greatly. They show this by allowing their employees to take a vacation leave for a specific duration of time (mostly 3 days to one week) at least once per year. This type of vacation leave does not affect the money-making endeavors of the employees since they can still receive a salary for the days they went on leave. Most companies that offer a paid vacation leave are known to be more successful in their business operations since they ensure that their employees are holistically healthy and prepared to do their jobs at the utmost of their abilities that can only be possible if the employees have time to rest and enjoy a vacation without having to worry about losing portions of their monthly salary.
- Maternity Leave- This special type of leave is availed of by women who just gave birth or are suffering from pregnancy complications that require them to stay at home or in a specialized pre-maternity hospital unit/room. The duration of this leave can vary depending on the laws of the state mandating that companies grant their female employees a maternity leave.
- Emergency Leaves- This leave is applied for when something unplanned comes up that requires the employee to leave his/her workplace in order to attend to it immediately. Most of the times, the reason for this type of leave is when an employee’s family has a pressing concern that must be taken cared of immediately.
Formal Warning Letter Format
Formal Written Warning Letter Format
Formal Work Letter Format
Formal Work Experience Letter Format
Formal Work Complaint Letter Format
Formal Apology Letter Format
Formal Business Apology Letter Format
Formal Apology Letter to Client Format
Formal Demand Letter Format
Formal Official Demand Letter Format
Formal Master Demand Letter Format
Formal Thank You Letter Format
Formal Personal Thank You Letter Format
Formal Solicitation Letter Format
A formal solicitation letter is sent when a person, a prospective student, or a nonprofit organization wants to ask for financial aid from someone or from a corporation. The following are the individuals who usually send this letter:
- a prospective student who is in dire need of financial aid for his/her academic endeavors;
- a nonprofit organization that is involved in community service, which due to the non-lucrative nature of their organization, must necessarily require the aid of other entities in order for them to move forward with their organizational goals and activities;
- a budding businessman or woman who needs financial aid to start up his or her business; and
- a church member who seeks financial aid in order to further the activities and programs of the church that he/she is a part of.
When writing a solicitation letter, you must follow certain Letter Formats and include the following information:
- The heading that consists the name and address of your recipient as well as your information.
- The formal greeting in which you must utilize legitimate titles such as Ms., Mr., and Mrs., or Atty. or Dr. Moreover, you must also include the complete name or surname of your letter’s recipient. It is crucial that you address your recipient personally in order to make them feel that you value them and recognize their significance in your personal or organizational success.
- The statement of solicitation sentence in which you will state clearly that you are writing your letter with the intent of requesting for a donation or some form of financial aid.
- Afterward, you also have to include the specific reason why you are making your solicitation. In this part, make sure you write it in a way that is persuasive so that your recipient would be convinced of the significance of your goals or visions.
- Include your contact number.
- Formal closing of your letter.
FREE 27+ Sample Sponsor Thank You Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Sample Requisition Letter Templates in MS Word | Pages | PDF
FREE 8+ Sample Business Name Change Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 14+ Sample Immigration Reference Letter Templates in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 11+ Sample Commitment Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 17+ Letterhead Samples in MS Word
FREE 10+ Sample Partnership Proposal Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs
FREE 9+ Financial Aid Appeal Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 5+ Vehicle Purchase Agreement Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 14+ Sample Employment Offer Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 12+ Letter of Support Templates in MS Word | Apple Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 14+ Quotation Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 14+ Apology Letters to Teacher in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 13+ Sample Letter of Intent for Promotion Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 11+ Court Character Reference Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages