If you are someone who is looking for a job, applying for scholarships, or working in a business/corporate industry, you might want to check out the Letter Examples that we have. It is important in these situations that your requests and communication formats be done in a formal manner in order to properly convey the message that you want the recipient to understand.
We will give you a few tips and guidelines about Writing a formal letter, so make sure to keep reading! Plus, the samples we have included will serve as great guidelines that you can use as a reference.
Formal Resignation Letter Examples
Formal Nursing Job Resignation Letter
Formal Email Resignation Letter
Formal Request Letter Examples
Formal Meeting Request Letter Format
Formal Holiday Request Letter Example
What Is the Format of a Formal Letter?
In writing a formal letter, there are a few things to keep in mind as these need to follow a format that is different from other types of letters. They are typically written for a variety of purposes that may include:
- Filing for an official complaint
- Filing for a request
- For inquiry purposes
- Job applications
- Business proposals
- Reference letters
- Formal invitations
A Formal Letter Format would typically include:
- Your own details and the date. This will usually be found on the upper right-hand corner of the letter.
- The recipient’s details, which will be left-aligned a few lines after the date.
- An opening greeting/salutation. The name of the recipient should be spelled out properly.
- A formal letter will usually carry a heading that specifies what the letter is about.
- The introduction of the letter will talk about the purpose as to why the letter is being written.
- The body of the letter will explain what the message you are trying to convey is all about.
- A concluding paragraph will be a summary of what you have written about and resolutions should the formal letter be talking about a problem.
- Seal the letter by affixing your signature above your written name. You can also include your contact details under your name.
Formal Complaint Letter Examples
Formal Business Complaint Letter
Formal Employee Complaint Letter
Formal Business Letter Examples
Formal Business Proposal Letter
Formal Business Complaint Letter Example
Formal Thank You Letter Examples
Formal Email Thank You Letter
Formal Thank You Business Letter
Formal Grievance Letter Examples
Formal Grievance Response Letter
Formal Grievance Appeal Letter
Tips for Writing a Formal Letter
Technology has allowed the use of emails as a means of writing letters to be sent to a recipient. Due to this, people do not write formal letters as much as they should. However, there are still times that call for the need to write one such as for job applications or academic-related applications. You can take after these few tips to ensure your letters are good to go.
- A concise and straightforward letter is preferred, so it is best to establish the purpose immediately. Stick to the topic and avoid using of flowery words as these are not necessary.
- The letter should use a formal and professional tone. Jargon are highly discouraged as well as shortened words (I’m, can’t, they’re). Vague words should also be avoided. Your words should be precise and specific but maintaining to be polite and respectful at the same time.
- Proofreading is an important task for formal letters and other kinds of write-ups. A careful grammar and spelling check is highly recommended. You can also ask someone else to check your letter and give suggestions for improvements and corrections.
You can find more writing tips at Formal Letter Layouts.
Importance of Writing Formal Letters
Traditional letters, whether sent via mail or email, still prove to be a great means of communication between businesses and employer-employee setups. A good impression lasts a long time. With formal letters, you are able to showcase your professionalism and this will say a great deal about how you communicate in person and with other people. A formal letter will show bits and pieces about how you are as a person, your education, and your attention to details. This is why it is a good idea to take a look at the Examples of Formal Letters that we have here.
Formal Invitation Letter Examples
Formal Informal Invitation Letter
Scholarship Invitation Acceptance Letter
Formal Cover Letter Examples
Formal Annual Report Cover Letter
Formal Cover Letter for Job Application
Formal Application Letter Examples
Formal Scholarship Application Letter Format
Formal College Application Letter
Formal Letter Format Examples
Sample Letter Format
Formal Resignation Letter Format
Formal Letter Essay Example
How to Write a Formal Letter of Request
A letter of request is part of the Formal Letter Examples. Typically, this letter will ask for a favor or, as the name suggests, a request from the recipient. To increase the chances that the recipient will agree to what you have asked of them, you may check out our tips.
- Let the recipient know of your request in the first few lines of your letter.
- Provide enough information about you in case you have not been in touch with the recipient in a long time.
- Explain to the reader what it is you are asking or what your request is. Include deadlines should there be any.
- Provide all the necessary information that the recipient needs to know about your request. This may include any supporting documents. This is to ensure that the recipient fully understands your request.
- Include all of your pertinent contact information such as telephone and mobile phone numbers, address, email address, and your full name. This can be incorporated in the concluding paragraph or after the signature section of the letter.
- Make sure to express your thanks that the person took their time to consider and read your letter.
Formal Letter Layout Examples
Formal Cover Letter Layout
Formal Business Letter Layout
Formal Letter for Student Examples
Formal Student Absence Excuse Letter
Student Formal Leave Letter Format
Formal Apology Letter Examples
Formal Apology Letter to Teacher
Formal Apology Letter to Boss
Formal Advice Letter Examples
Formal Advice Seeking Letter
Formal Letter asking for Advice
Formal Business Letter Examples
Formal Business Research Proposal Letter
Formal Business Letter Format
Formal Claim Letter Example
Formal Claim Authorization Letter
Formal Demand Letter Examples
Formal Rent Demand Letter
Formal Recruitment Demand Letter
Formal Email Letter Examples
Formal Business Email Letter
Formal Email Request Letter
Formal Notice Letter Examples
Formal Two Weeks Notice Letter
Formal Redundancy Notice Letter
Formal Proposal Letter Examples
Formal Budget Proposal Letter
Formal Sales Proposal Letter
Formal Warning Letter Examples
Formal Verbal Warning Letter
Formal Warning Letter in Word
Despite the decline in using official mail for sending letters, you can always incorporate the tips and guidelines we have given even if you are sending your mail via email. This way, formal letter-writing will never be obsolete and it will be easier to get your message across.
There are two important things that you need to remember when writing a formal letter:
- Presentation style or layout
- Format (see Formal Letter Formats)
These two things are the key elements to making your formal letter stand out and make a good impression.
Formal letter-writing proves to be a tricky task as every little detail about it is closely inspected including the format, layout, spellings, and content. Rest assured though that the samples we have presented will help you achieve important details about a formal letter with regards to structure and content, especially if you are writing one for the first time. One more thing about the templates is the fact that they have been drafted to give a professional polish and classy look to them, which is great for writing formal letters. So, what are you waiting for? DOWNLOAD the Sample Formal Letters that we have for you and start drafting those letters now!
131+ Sample Thank You Letters
35 Sample Resignation Letters in Word
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letter Templates
12+ Basic Rental Agreement Letter Templates
13+ Sample Rental Agreement Letters
Free Sample Love Letters in Word
11+ Sample Thank You Letters for Gifts Free Download
12+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters
13+ Sample Formal Complaint Letters – PDF, Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
12+ Sample Appeal Letters
12+ Example of Appeal Letter Templates to Download for Free
11+ Appeal Letters – Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
14+ Appeal Letter Samples – PDF, Word
12+ Appeal Letters – Free Samples , Examples & Format
9+ Sample Retirement Resignation Letters