A business letter is a form of formal written correspondence exchanged by parties involved in a professional relationship with each other. Business letters serve as additional and official documentation of agreements, complaints, notification, or request. This method of communication is common between companies and their clients.
Although there are more instant forms of communication, sending an actual physical letter is still preferred among many businesses as it produces a feeling of professionalism, an illusion of authority, and a sense of urgency.
To write a proper business letter, you must first be familiar with the properties of business letter writing and the proper techniques for effective composition. Here are a couple of Sample Letters and a a quick explanation of basic business letter layouts.
Formal Business Letter Layout
Standard Business Letter Layout
Professional Business Letter Layout
Personal Business Letter Layout in PDF
Business Form Letter Layout
Whether a complaint, an Employment Reference Letter, or a thank-you note, most business letters have the same parts:
- The letterhead includes the company logo, name, and contact information. Not all business have this. Others make do with simply writing these information on the top corner of the letter.
- Names and addresses should follow the company information. As much as possible, know these information. Call the recipient’s company to get these if you must.
- The date when the letter was completed should include the day, month, and year.
- A reference is basically like a subject line. This could just be a phrase or a single sentence.
- An opening salutation may include a “Dear” or just the person’s honorific and name.
- The body of the letter should have a space between each paragraph. Ensure smooth transition but making sure next paragraphs relate to the previous.
- Close by thanking the recipient for reading the letter. You may also write “Sincerely,” “Best Regards,” or something similar for your closing salutations.
- Sign the letter with a good pen.
- Enclosures should be listed at the bottom of the page.
Business Cover Letter Layout
Business Letter Layout Format
Business Thank You Letter Layout
Business Letter Layout Example
Things to Remember When Writing a Business Letter
When writing a Formal Business Letter, you are representing your company. Even in e-mails, it would be good idea to keep it formal and avoid customizing your default signature with different colors, cutesy stickers, and cheesy quotes and clichés.
Keep your letters short and straight to the point. Avoid using highfalutin terms and stick to easy-to-understand wordings. Use concise words and short sentences.
Keep it direct. State your purpose in the beginning unless it is bad news. For bad news, try to cushion it by beginning and ending the letter with a bit of positivity.
Find the balance between conversational and professional. Do not sound too robotic. You are, after all, human and the reader of your letter is (presumably) human too.
Proofread your letter. Make sure you get all information like names, positions, and addresses right. Double check your spelling as well.
While you must sell yourself in business letters, be careful not to sound boastful or arrogant. This could be a huge turn-off for your reader.
Always end the letter with a request for action.
FREE 9+ Character Reference Letters for Court Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 12+ Letter of Intent for Employment Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 11+ Sample Letter of Intent For University in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 11+ Passport Authorization Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 29+ Requisition Letter Formats in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 3+ Grant Proposal Cover Letter Samples in PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Employment Reference Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 14+ Leave of Absence Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 28+ Sample Employment Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 65+ Guarantee Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 9+ Sample Assignment Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 8+ Sample Business Name Change Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Sample Requisition Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF | Pages
FREE 14+ Immigration Reference Letter Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 10+ Sample College Letter Of Intent in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs