Accounting departments, insurance companies, banks—basically, all types of financial institutions or departments will run smoothly with the aid of an assistant who takes care of the more clerical accounting tasks. Such a person is called an accounting assistant.
If you are looking to hire an accounting assistant, then may want to refer to an accounting assistant job description in choosing the best candidate for the job. For your convenience, we have made available various Job Description Samples for you to choose from.
Administrative Accounting Assistant Job Description
Assistant Accounting Clerk Job Description
Payroll Accounting Assistant Job Description
Senior Accounting Assistant Job Description
Accounting Financial Assistant Job Description
What Is an Accounting Assistant?
An accounting assistant is the employee who assists an accounting manager with their daily tasks. He/she may be made to perform clerical tasks such as bookkeeping, record-keeping, answering financially-related phone calls, process tax concerns, process insurance, and sometimes even help ensuring the efficiency of the payroll system. Depending on the company, an accounting assistant can have various responsibilities.
Accounting Assistants Report to Whom?
Since an accounting assistant’s primary job is to assist. He/she usually works under the supervision of any of the following:
- accounting manager
- finance manager
- payroll manager
- compensation and benefits accountant
Industries or Companies That Need Accounting Assistants
- Lending institutions
- Financial firms
- Insurance companies
- Government Agencies
- Distributing companies/Retail stores
- Universities and other educational institutions
- Accounting firms
Indeed, an assistant would make the the job easier for senior accountants and accounting managers. If you are also interested in knowing more about other accounting-related job positions, download our collections of Accounting Manager Job Description Samples and Accounting Clerk Job Description Samples! Simply click on their corresponding links.
Accounts Receivable Assistant Job Description
Accounting Office Assistant Job Description
Accounting Department Assistant Job Description
Senior Accountant/Assistant Controller Job Description
Accounting Assistant Job Description
Job Functions of an Accounting Assistant
- Assist employees engaged in performing moderately complex accounting tasks and check their works or accuracy and correct accounting errors
- Addresses and resolves vendor and purchasing agent issues
- Extracts general ledger information
- Reconciles report discrepancies and problems as directed
- Codes data to input to financial data processing system according to company procedures
- Enters, compiles, organizes payroll data such as hours worked, taxes, and insurance to be withheld, and employee identification number from time sheets and other records
- Compiles and sorts documents such as invoices and purchase requisition and/or purchase orders, substantiating business transactions
- Reviews the computed wages of each employee and corrects errors of computation in order to ensure payroll accuracy.
- Generate and send checks as instructed by accounting staff/supervisor.
- Process payroll checks, vouches, and automatic deposits.
- Verifies and post details of business transactions, such as funds received and disbursed
Qualifications for an Accounting Assistant Role
- A degree in Finance, Accountancy, or Management is a plus but not necessary.
- Capable of performing clerical tasks.
- Possesses a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. Capable of effectively coordinating with accountants and financial managers in the daily performance of accounting tasks.
- Meticulous and detail-oriented; capable of preparing financial reports when asked.
- Knowledgeable of the basic documents involved in finance, taxes, payroll, and accounting.
- Excellent numerical abilities.
For relevant job descriptions, you can check out our collection of Accounting Job Description Samples. Simply click on the link provided.
FREE 10+ HR Intern Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Sample HR Coordinator Job Description Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 15+ Sample HR Manager Job Descriptions in PDF
FREE 10+ Sample Treasurer Job Descriptions in MS Word | PDF
FREE 6+ Environmental Engineer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 8+ Construction Worker Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 14+ Construction Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Manager Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 9+ Construction Management Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Construction Laborer Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 11+ Construction Superintendent Job Description Samples in PDF
FREE 11+ Sample Construction Project Manager Job Description Templates in PDF
FREE 10+ Consultant Job Description Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Contractor Job Description Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 7+ Sample Cardiologist Job Descriptions in PDF