A memo is a written document essential in maintaining communication between the several departments of a company. This is especially useful when a certain issue needs to be discussed without having to call a meeting in the company. Various memo types can be used depending on how they are used.
When formatting a memo, there are memo formatting guidelines that need to be followed if you want to create an effective one for your business. If you are looking for external memos, we have samples in word and PDF available to download on this page. Learn how to write an external memo below.
External Audit Memo Template
External Audit Planning Memo
External Legal Memo
External Memo Example
How to Write an External Memo
Unlike an internal memo, which is used within the boundaries of a company, an external memo is a type of memo used to send a message or note to other organizations outside of the business. To help you in writing an external memo for your business, the steps in creating one are listed below:
- Download from our external memo templates to help you outline your blank memo.
- Write a title in your external memo. Label it with the word Memorandum on the first part of your memo.
- Write the details of your company such as the name, address, contact number, email address, and your logo, if you have one.
- Write the name/s of the recipient, the company name, and the contact number.
- Write the date and the subject of your memo.
- Create the body of your memo by writing an introduction, the body of your memo that contains the reason for the memo, and a summary or conclusion that will suggest the appropriate actions that will be made. Proofread your external memo and send it to the recipients.
The sample memo available on this page may also be useful to you.
External Office Memo
External Consultant Memo
External Memo Sample
Tips for Writing an External Memo
- When writing a memo, it important to only include the necessary issues that you want to address in your external memo.
- Organize the outline of your memo ensuring that you follow the set guidelines when creating one.
- Avoid using complicated words in your memo.
- Always proofread and check your external memo for any errors and typos.
- In order to write an effective memo, it is important that you understand who you are sending it to.
- Avoid using a salutation in your memo, it is important that you say your point clearly.
- An effective memo contains a bulleted list. This way your memo will be easier to understand.
What Is a Memo and What Is It Used For?
A memo is a written document used as a form of communication and is sent by an individual to another individual. A memo is usually sent within the different departments of a particular company and contains various messages. For example, if an employee from one department needs to send out a memo, whether it is for a request, confirmation, etc., he or she sends out a note to the other party. The memo format and the free memo samples available on this page will be useful in helping you create a memo.
FREE 30+ Memo Samples in MS Word in PDF | MS Word
FREE 10+ Cash Memo Templates in Google Docs | MS Word | Apple Pages
FREE 10+ Accounting Memo Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Interoffice Memo Samples in MS Word | Apple Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 10+ Email Memo Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Project Memo Samples in MS Word | PDF
15+ Free Memo Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PD
FREE 5+ Investment Memo Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 10+ Strategy Memos in MS Word | PDF | Google Docs
FREE 10+ Credit Memo Samples & Templates in PDF
FREE 9+ Audit Memo Templates in MS Word | PDF | Google Docs
FREE 10+ Management Memo Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 6+ Mutual Agreement Samples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 14+ Memo Writing Samples & Templates in PDF
FREE 14+ Memo Writing Samples and Templates in PDF | MS Word