The difference between a formal letter and a memo is discernible by looking at the length and the format of it. It is an understanding that a letter is more formal, but in terms of legality of the documents, there is what we call a legal memorandum, which presents analysis and research.
Format of memo varies depending on the organization or the purpose of writing one, but there are basic parts that all memos should include. Memos are not just used in the corporate setting, it is used in the academics, government, and health care as a standard written communication as well.
Business Memo Sample Template
Sample Business Memo Template
Professional Memo for Business
Standard Business Memo
Project Management Business Memo
Business Informative Memo
Business Case Memo
How to Write a Business Memo to Your Boss
- In the same manner with a business memo for employees, label the memo with “Memorandum” at the top.
- Include in the memo header the sender, the recipient, date, and subject line.
- For the body content, go straight to your main point in the first paragraph. Be clear and specific while still providing a brief background to your boss about the main issue or problem. If you are writing for a summary of a report, do not use graphical presentations in memo.
- The final section or the closing section should include supporting information or the attachments and why you included the said documents.
Uses of Business Memo
Memos are used by the management and employees within the company to present informal report, but despite the fact that this report is not the detailed version, it still follows a legal memo format and professionalism is still greatly observed. Memos are used for providing instructions, suggestions, and responses. It is sent to seek explanation regarding an issue or problem, to make a request, solve problems, and most importantly convey information. Sample business memo usually portraits these uses including how the memo would look like and how the contents were organized.
Business Trip Memo
Business Interoffice Memo
Business Meeting Memo
Business Memo Format
Sample Business Memorandum
What to Include in Business Memo
As you could see in the sample memo presented, business memo includes the recipient, sender, date, and subject line for record-keeping since this memo is considered a legal document that the company is responsible for. It should include an opening paragraph that would introduce the issue, a summary section that would contain an explanation, a discussion section that would involve how the issue or problem will be handled, a closing statement to conclude the contents, and necessary attachments if applicable. Take note that in writing your closing statement, you should not include a letter-like ending because a memo is different from a letter.
Tips to Design Best Business Memo
- Do not use long and wordy sentences.
- Use bullets if applicable.
- Be specific when pointing out important issues or problems.
- Write the body of the content clearly, concisely, and with correct grammar.
- If you use memo samples, make sure that important details are customized for your organization.
- Write the conclusion of the memo in an approach that would require a response from the recipient.
- Cover a single subject per memo.
- Write your first draft and then proofread.
- Establish the tone that is appropriate for the recipient or audience.
- Include all necessary information that would explain the purpose of the memo.
14+ Memo Writing Samples and Templates – PDF, Word
14+ Memo Writing Samples & Templates – PDF
31+ Sample Memos
7+ Bid Memo Template – Examples in Word, PDF
7+ Blank Memo – Examples in Word, PDF
5+ Blank Memos – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
8+ Notice Memo – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
9+ Employee Memo Template – Examples in Word, PDF
9+ Budget Memo Templates – Examples in Word, PDF
6+ Standard Memo Templates – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
7+ Board Memo Template – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
8+ Board Memo Template – Examples in Word, PDF
9+ Employee Memo Templates – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
8+ Memorandum Samples
10+ Memo Samples in Word