As a student, you will be tasked to come up with different types of essays—from narrative essays to argumentative essays, you name it, you have been assigned to write it. Have you ever encountered commentary writing? If you have not, then we are here to give you a good step-by-step guide on how you can come up with a good one.
Aside from the tips and guidelines, we will also be sharing a couple of commentary essay examples that will help your writing task go as smooth as possible. Are you ready? Just make sure that you keep reading!
Sample School Commentary Essay
Commentary Writing Notes
Academic Essay Commentary Sample
Literary Commentary Guideline Sample
What Is a Commentary?
A commentary is basically giving your own opinions and insights about someone’s work through an in-depth and analytical process. It is not just simply reporting or summarizing the work. It aims to explore beyond what is stated in the work and the writer of the commentary should try to give his/her thoughts about the work and synthesize each point to come up with a good conclusion. You may also see business writing samples and templates.
Writing a Commentary
When it comes to writing a commentary, there is no fixed format or guide that you should follow since what you are writing is mostly based on your own opinion. However, coming up with a clear goal about what you want to write would be a good idea even for other essay writing tasks. So how do you do this? That is what we will be sharing with you right here!
Before we get started on the tips, there are two types of commentary essays that you should be aware of: literary commentary and data commentary. A literary commentary is basically a detailed analysis of a text or passage while a data commentary is a text that accompanies the graphics or visuals of a certain topic. We would like to give you a guideline for writing both types of commentary. You may also like book writing samples.
1. Coming Up with a Literary Commentary
When it comes to literary commentary, you want to make sure that you read the passage over and over again. You can start by reading the text out loud and then just plain reading it. Take time to go through each of the general statements and paragraphs. If there are any words that you think you are having a hard time understanding, make sure you check out what it means.
It would also be a good idea to have a hard copy of the text for highlighting purposes. You can highlight key points or important details by using a pen, pencil, or a highlighter. You may also opt to highlight any statements or words that you are having a hard time comprehending. You may also check out article writing samples and templates.
Now based on what you have read and highlighted, you can start making an essay outline. This essay outline would now serve as your guide on what the sequence of your essay would be. Make sure that your outline contains the essay basics which are the introduction, body of the essay, and the conclusion.
Now here’s how you can start writing the essay proper:
- Start with the literary basics. The literary basics pertain to the title, the author, and the genre of the literary piece. These should all be found in the introduction of your essay. You may also see minutes writing samples and templates.
- Discuss. Discuss in the body of the essay what the literary piece is all about, who it is for, and what is its purpose.
- Make use of specific samples. Doing this will help to support the thesis statement that you have.
- Close with a strong conclusion. You should compose your conclusion in a manner that does not only reiterate your main points but also relates everything back to the thesis statement.
- Make sure that you cite your sources. Keep track of the names of your sources, the authors, date of publication, and other pertinent information. You may also like informative writing samples and templates.
2. Writing a Data Commentary
A data commentary is also easier to write as you basically describe and comment on a set of data and present it in either graphs or tables. Here’s how you can come up with one.
- Know the guidelines. Usually, a data commentary is given as an assignment with a set of guidelines that you need to follow. You may also check out reflective writing samples and templates.
- Present a synopsis. A quick summary of your topic is important to give your readers a good background about what your topic is all about. Ensure that the data is analyzed in a good manner.
- Come up with a graph or table for representation purposes. This will help to emphasize key points of your topic and make it easier for them to understand your point. You may also see summary writing samples and templates.
- Write a conclusion. Your conclusion should let the reader know the significance of the results. Since data commentary is commonly used in a research, you may also state here further recommendations that future researchers would like to do.
- Provide the sources. Since a data commentary is based on facts, you should make sure that you include the sources that you have used. You may also like abstract writing samples and templates.
Example of Poetry Commentary
Health Profile Commentary
Language and Literature Comparative Commentary
Financial Commentary Sample
We hope that our article finds you well and that it can help you get through the task of coming up with a good commentary essay. We also hope that the samples included will make it easier for you to digest how this type of writing looks like. If you have been assigned by your teacher or professor to come up with a commentary essay, you may also ask him/her for more details about commentary writing. You may also see speech writing samples and templates.
If you want more information about other types of writing, the list below can be of help:
7+ Thesis Writing Samples
7+ Free Writing Samples
6+ Narrative Writing Samples and Templates
Quick Tips in Writing a Resignation Letters
Steps to Writing a Reference Letter for Immigration
Professional Letter and Email Writing Guidelines
Writing a Sales Letter: Tips & Examples
29+ Sample Letter of Recommendation for Scholarships
11+ Job Application Writing Samples & Templates
9+ Marketing Writing Samples
7+ Expository Writing Samples and Templates
7+ Sample Tribute Speech Examples
Guidelines for Writing a Good Recommendation Letters
The Importance of Writing a Strong Recommendation Letters
Tips for Writing a Thank-You Letter