More often than not, teachers may require their students to come up with a persuasive essay as a school requirement. Some people may also just want to explore more on how persuasive essays look like and how to come up with a good one.
If you are looking for helpful tips with how you can come up with a persuasive essay, say no more! We’ve got it all right here. Plus, we also have a couple of persuasive essay samples that can help to give you a good idea on how such essays look like.
Persuasive Outline Speech Essay
Persuasive Research Essay
Persuasive Narrative Essay
Persuasive Essay Rubric
Persuasive Essay Paper Example
Writing a Persuasive Essay
Persuasive essays are basically written in the hopes that you will be able to persuade the reader of your insight on a certain subject. So how do you come up with a good one? Check out our tips.
1. Writing in a Persuasive Manner
Make sure that start with a strong stance that you can defend in a strong manner as well. Discuss the good and the bad side and always make sure that your counter arguments are strong.
Begin each paragraph in a clear manner.
By doing this, you will be able to make sure that your paragraphs end up becoming more cohesive and you will also be able to end all paragraphs in a strong manner.
Incorporate facts and references.
Having facts and references list to use as a backup for the claims that you have made. To make sure that it remains strong, you can start by stating the facts and references and follow it up with your own claims.
Keep it brief.
Make your sentences short and easy to read. To ensure that your sentences are short, try reading the sentences that you have. If you find yourself needing to catch your breath while you are reading, it means that your sentences are too long. Make sure to cut it short or place commas where deemed necessary.
There are a couple of persuasion techniques that you can follow to ensure that your essay ends up being effective.
- Repeat. Repeating your main argument or main point across your essay can help to establish what your essay is all about. It will also be easier for the reader what it is that you are trying to relay.
- Social Validation. Incorporating business quotations can help to establish that you are not making things up and that your arguments are valid.
- Agitate the Problem. Agitating the problem can help to give your reader a better understanding of the problem that you are trying to address in your personal essay.
Make it seem like you are an expert.
Being confident with your arguments and what you are trying to address can help to make you sound like an expert with what you are writing. Be sure to sound firm with what you are claiming.
Pique the interest of the reader.
You want to make sure that you are able to challenge your reader by forcing your reader to evaluate what his/her thoughts are about what you are discussing in your essay.
Answer possible rebuttals.
While persuasive essays usually focus on what you are trying to say, answering possible rebuttals that you may encounter when it comes to your essay will make it sound convincing and that you know what you are talking about.
2. Organizing Your Essay
Take your time. If you want to make sure that you end up with a good persuasive essay, make sure that you take time in organizing what it is that you are going to write. Preparing an essay outline would be a good idea to ensure that you know how your essay would look like.
Understand the structure of a persuasive essay.
- Make use of rhetorical devices that would get in touch the emotions, the logic, and the credibility of the argument.
- Layer evidences to incorporate in your essay to make it more solid.
- Have clear thesis statements in every paragraph.
- Think about your audience. Match the tone of your essay with your audience. Targeting your essay is pretty crucial to ensure that people will be able to relate with what you are writing about.
- Choose your topics carefully. Make sure that the topic you choose would be something that you would be interested to write and something that your audience will be able to relate to.
- Make your thesis statements clear. Your thesis statements should be clear and straightforward in order to properly represent the arguments that you have.
- Prepare your evidences. Make sure that you prepare a lot of evidences and that you pick out which evidences present your arguments in a strong manner. Mind mapping would be great for this.
- Do a lot of research. Research would help to make your essay stronger. Remember, the more your evidences, the better.
3. Writing Your Essay
- Follow your outline. Your outline would typically have three parts:
- Introduction. The introduction of your essay should be a strong one to ensure that you are able to hook your readers into reading the rest of your essay.
- Body. The body of your essay is where you would typically present and defend all of your arguments as well as the evidences that you have gathered.
- Conclusion. Your conclusion would aim to tie everything together. In short, it would serve as the summary of your whole essay.
- Come up with a good hook. Your hook would be the determining factor if your audience would like to read the rest of your essay. You can start with an anecdote or a popular quote that is related to the subject of your essay. Make sure that your introduction will be able to grab the attention of your reader/s.
- Structure the body of your essay. The structure of the body should be done in a way where every paragraph is discussing a main point. Every paragraph in the body of your essay should aim to justify what the subject of your essay is.
- Transition cohesively. When you are ending your paragraphs, make sure that you end it in a way that would help to make sure that it would end up flowing smoothly onto the next paragraph.
- Write a counterargument. Including counterarguments can help to make your essay a whole lot stronger and way more solid.
- Write a good conclusion. Your conclusion is basically a business summary of what your essay is all about. You also have to make sure that your audience will remember what you have written.
Persuasive Sales Speech Assignment Example
Argumentative Persuasive Essay
Sample College Persuasive Essay
Persuasive Policy Speech Example
How to Polish Your Essay
Polishing your essay is just as important as writing it. If your essay is not polished, it will look unprofessional and not well-written at all which, in turn, will make your audience lose interest in your essay. Here’s how you can polish your essay.
- Do not read your essay for a couple of days. This will help to reduce the bias that you have toward your essay. Come back to your essay after about two days to check for any errors.
- Read through the essay carefully. Check for cohesiveness and check if everything you have stated in your essay is relevant to the topic.
- Revise. Revising your essay is necessary in order to make it more straight to the point and to ensure that whatever is discussed is relevant. Make sure that your punctuation are also correct and will also help to give your essay more sense. Check for:
- Grammatical errors
- Wrong spellings
- Wrong punctuations
- Read your essay again. Double-checking would be a good idea to ensure that you were able to cover everything that is needed to be covered and that you have revised everything that is needed to be revised.
- Give it to someone else to read. You may ask someone else to read your essay. This way they will be able to let you know what you may have missed.
Simple Tips for Your Persuasive Writing
- Make sure that you make use of simple and easy to comprehend language.
- Ask for help and research more about persuasive essays or persuasive speeches in order to gain more ideas on how these types of write-ups look like.
- Make your arguments clear and choose one side only.
- Every word counts. Do not add any decorative sentences unless deemed necessary.
- Use third-person point of view for a more professional touch.
- You may opt to write the body of your essay first before diving into the conclusion and the introduction of your essay.
Writing a school essay? You may want to check out our Academic Essay Samples to make give you a good idea of how you can make your school essay look good and professional.
9+ Sample Writing Template
8+ Business Writing Samples & Templates
6+ Sample Book Writing
6+ Sample Forensic Report
Top 10 Resume Writing Tips for 2017!
Writing Job Offer Thank-You Letter
Cover Letter Examples & Writing Tips
7+ Sample Psychological Report
What to Avoid When Writing Your Resignation Letter
Writing an Effective Academic Recommendation Letter and How to ...
Guide to Writing Recommendation Letters—with Tips and Examples
Steps to Writing a Reference Letter for Immigration
11+ Speech Writing
8+ Application Writing Samples
6+ Printable Writing Paper