Employee development is an essential process in every company, business, or organization. Since employees are the most important resource that any business has, companies need to develop and improve the performance of their employees in order to effectively run the business on a daily basis. Businesses need to establish a performance evaluation system that will give them the most accurate results when evaluating their employees to ensure that they will be able to implement various training methods and programs. An employee evaluation is not only done to improve the skills and knowledge of a particular employee/s in the business but can also be used for a number of reasons.
One effective tool that businesses can use to evaluate their employees is through an employee performance evaluation form. There are many types of evaluation forms that businesses can use. One example of this is a self-evaluation form. Businesses typically conduct employee evaluations on a yearly basis or if an employee is in the process of becoming a regular employee. Through an employee evaluation, both the employees as well as the business or organization will benefit from it. This article contains several important information that will help you further understand an employee evaluation such as its definition and importance, the steps in writing your own employee evaluation, the essential elements, some useful tips, and the different types of employee evaluations that you can do. You will also find employee evaluation form samples and templates like a training evaluation form, staff evaluation form, skilled laborer evaluation form, and other types of evaluation forms that you may need for your business.
Employee Evaluation Form Template
Staff Evaluation Form Sample
Student Employee Evaluation Form Template
Non-Supervisory Employee Evaluation Form Sample
Skilled Laborer Evaluation Form Template
Definition of Employee Performance Evaluation
What is an employee performance evaluation? An employee performance evaluation is a comprehensive assessment or review of a company’s employee/s to be able to identify the different aspects of an employee’s performance such as his/her strengths and weaknesses. Through an employee evaluation, both the employers and their employees will be able to discuss the employee’s job performance, identify and set goals that are needed to be accomplished, as well as discuss the company’s expectations from the employee/s. If you want to read about the importance of an employee performance evaluation, read more about it below.
What Is the Importance of an Employee Evaluation?
As mentioned above, the main purpose of an employee performance evaluation is to measure the job performance of a company’s employees. There are many reasons why an employee evaluation is conducted or performed by businesses. The importance of an employee evaluation are as follows:
- An employee evaluation provides companies accurate information or data regarding an employee’s performance for a particular period of time. Since evaluations are done on a yearly basis, employers will be able to determine if the individual’s performance qualifies for a promotion. An employee evaluation form is important in helping companies decide whether to promote an employee based on the evaluation results.
- An employee evaluation is also important in assessing whether an employee deserves an increase of his/her salary based on the performance or contributions of the employee to the business.
- Through an employee evaluation, you will be able to identify the strengths and the weaknesses of a particular employee, which will help companies decide if that individual needs to undergo training to improve his/her skills and knowledge to effectively do his/her job that will meet the standards of the company.
- If an employee has shown issues or a poor performance, based on his/her employee evaluation, businesses will be able to impose a disciplinary action to address these issues. This is important to be able to have a written proof of the individual’s inefficiency.
- An employee evaluation is also important in setting career goals for the employee as well as the business. Setting goals is important for employees to understand what they need to achieve.
Employment Candidate Evaluation Form Template
Simple Employee Evaluation Form Template
Sample Employee Evaluation for Public Library Staff
Sample Fire Department Performance Evaluation Form
Probationary Employee Performance Evaluation Form Template
How to Effectively Perform an Employee Evaluation
Performing an employee evaluation can be beneficial to both the employees and the business. However, doing one requires preparation and time. Before you start conducting one, it is important that you understand the right steps to ensure that you will have an effective tool or system. Below are the steps in conducting an employee performance evaluation:
- Use of an evaluation form – to ensure that you will have an accurate tool when conducting or performing your employee evaluation, it is important that you make use of an evaluation form. An evaluation form contains all the necessary components to effectively evaluate or assess your employees. To help you start, you can download the templates available in this article or you can download the samples to help you outline your form if you need to create one from scratch.
- Create performance measures – performance measures are standards that you will need to set to ensure that you will be conducting the evaluation based on the company’s standards and goals. The performance measures that you set depends on the job position of the individual to whom the evaluation is done. Through performance measures, companies will be able to evaluate employees objectively.
- Set different guidelines for providing feedback – after all the essential information are collected from the employee evaluation forms, managers and supervisors will need to provide feedback to their employees for them to be able to be aware of their strengths and weaknesses. When giving feedback, ensure that there are guidelines followed to ensure that you are providing feedback as effectively as possible. Feedback from employees is as important as the feedback provided by their employers.
- Develop training programs and methods – now that you have identified the strengths and weaknesses of your employees, it is important that you develop or establish training programs for your employees to enhance and improve their skills and knowledge about the work that they are expected to do.
- Schedule your evaluation – it is important that you schedule and conduct employee evaluations often. This enables you to understand the development process of your employees as well as to ensure that these employees will meet the expectations that have been set.
Tips for Creating an Employee Evaluation Program
Employee evaluation programs help companies motivate their employees to do better with their jobs and improve or become better with what they are doing. Through the evaluation, the company will know what the employee is good at and this gives them a reason to give them the necessary recognition. They will also be able to determine what an employee is having a hard time doing, which allows them to create an action plan on what to do to help the employee overcome their weakness. That is why an employee evaluation program should be carefully planned. Here are some tips that will definitely help you create an effective employee evaluation program.
- Set the goals of your employee evaluation program. Creating something without a goal in mind will only waste your time and your resources. Before you start your evaluation, make a list of the things that the company needs to improve on and determine which of them are based on the employee’s performance.
- Do not talk about positive performance and a performance that needs improvement if it is the first time that you are going to evaluate the employee. Discuss the evaluation criteria and emphasize its important components.
- Write your employee evaluation in a way that it can easily be read and understood. Use simple words and terms that a lot of people know without having to open a dictionary. There is a possibility that the employees will assume what a word or phrase means instead of looking it up.
- Check other employee evaluation program samples that you can find on the Internet. You may also use the company’s previous employee evaluation documents as your reference and get as many ideas as you can.
- Test your employee evaluation program first. Make the necessary changes before you have it finalized. It is also best if you ask feedback about the program that you have made.
- Get advice from the people being evaluated and those who will be evaluating the employees firsthand, like their immediate superiors or managers.
- Always spell-check and proofread your work. This is to ensure that your document contains accurate information and data and also to make sure that your output is presentable.
Furthermore, if you need other types of evaluation forms such as a conference evaluation forms, meeting evaluation forms, project evaluation forms, you can download the samples and templates that are available on this site.
FREE 63+ Sample Application Form Templates in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | MS Word
FREE 7+ Sample Employee Advance Forms in MS Word | PDF
FREE 4+ Employee Performance Appraisal Form Templates in PDF
FREE 20+ Membership Form Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 33+ Consultation Form Samples in PDF
FREE 20+ Coaching Form Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 20+ Student Registration Form Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 29+ Education Form Samples in Google Docs | MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Sample Employee Details Forms in MS Word | PDF
FREE 33+ Campus Form Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 20+ Administration Form Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 20+ Case Report Form Samples in PDF
FREE 20+ Waiver Form Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 15+ Sample Startup Form Templates in Google Docs | MS Word | PDF
FREE 28+ Patient Intake Form Samples in PDF | MS Word