When you were young and your mother was telling you to thank anyone who does something for your benefit, she knew what she was saying. Being polite and courteous is part of being a professional. Not only does it give you a good reputation, it also makes people like you and like working with you.
When someone makes the effort to write you a recommendation letter, they are putting you ahead of many priorities in an already full list of things they have to take care of. It is important that you acknowledge that and thank them for taking the trouble with these Sample Letters to help you compose a letter of gratitude.
Sample Reference Thank You Letter Template
Sample Restaurant Reference Thank You Letter Template
Professional Thank You Letter for Reference
Example of Thank You Letter for Reference
Thank You Letter for Reference for a Job
Thank You Letter for Reference Sample
Formal Thank You Letter for Reference
When writing a letter of thanks to someone with whom you are in a strictly professional relationship, it is important to remember that the letter you write is still a Professional Business Letter, not a casual note to a buddy.
You can send a thank-you note via e-mail, a thank-you card, or a letter. While all three are perfectly acceptable, a handwritten thank-you letter is a tangible reminder of your appreciation of the person’s efforts.
How to Write a Thank-You Letter
- Address the letter to someone specifically. Not addressing a thank-you letter to the person you are supposed to thank makes your letter lose its genuineness. After all, your reference did not recommend someone named “To Whom It May Concern.”
- Don’t thank the person in advance. A “thank you in advance for helping me in this matter” gives the impression that you don’t plan on writing a follow-up thank-you note.
- Stick to the point. Don’t waste your reference’s time. Your intention was to say thank you and make sure the recipient knows just by reading the first paragraph.
- Be sincere. It is easy to tell a sincere letter from one that is simply written as a formality.
- Make your letter stand out. A general “thanks for the reference” will appear ungenuine. Personalize the letter by including details of the event.
Thank You Letter to Professor for Reference
Thank You Letter to Employer for Reference
Sample Thank You Letter for Business Reference
Tips for Writing a Thank-You Letter
- Write you thank you letter immediately. A thank-you letter should be written within 24 hours after the interview.
- Be concise and clear with your words. In the world of business, there is no time to be flowery and romantic.
- Handwrite your letter. Letters of thanks are best handwritten in a quality paper. Only write through e-mail if you know for sure that this is the recipient’s preferred method of correspondence.
- Proofread a letter before sending it. A letter filled with grammatical slips appears unprofessional and might discourage the recipient from doing you this favor again.
- Write a cheerful letter that says you appreciate their kindness. Among the many letters you will compose in your entire professional life, a thank-you letter is perhaps the most important as it is what would strengthen your relationship with your colleagues.
Remember that one of the most important characteristics of a business letter is its timeliness. Reply to all business letters promptly. For other business letters you might encounter, see this section covering Offer Acceptance Letters.
FREE 10+ Sample Human Resources Cover Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 16+ Sample HR Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 47+ Sample Employment Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 6+ Apology Letter to School in PDF | MS Word
FREE 4+ Sample Motivation Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Employee Resignation Letter Templates in MS Word | Apple Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 14+ Sample Formal Invitation Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 29+ Requisition Letter Formats in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 9+ Sample Sponsorship Proposal Letter Templates in PDF
FREE 9+ Sample Resignation Letter Examples in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Sample Quotation Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF | Pages
FREE 59+ Sample Letter of Intent in MS Word | PDF
FREE 29+ Business Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE Things You Need to Remember When Writing a Resignation Letter [ With Samples ]
FREE 44+ Sample Proposal Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs