When buying something or making purchases no matter how big or how small they are, a receipt is always handed to every buyer after payment has been made for those purchases. It is the responsibility of every seller or vendor to provide a receipt as proof of purchase and as a written acknowledgment that they have received the exact amount of payment for the products or services that was sold. You may also see itemized receipt templates.
There are different kinds of purchase receipt being used all over the world and each of them have their own unique format, size, and shape. Receipts that are provided as proof of purchase of something are called purchase receipts. There are different varieties of purchase receipt samples and templates that are now made available online for anyone who wishes to use it for whatever purpose. Let us learn more about purchase receipts and why they are used.
Simple Purchase Receipt
Car Purchase Receipt
Equipment Purchase Receipt
Vehicle Purchase Receipt
What Is a Purchase Receipt?
Every time you make a purchase, whether it be in a convenience store or in a car company, you always get a receipt after every payment that you have made. Vendors and sellers are required by law to provide a written receipt to their customers or buyers for the products or services that they have paid for. Still, this requirement depends on the state jurisdiction where the products or services were sold. Some of the uses of a purchase receipt are as follows:
- It serves as a proof of the purchase and payment made by the customer or buyer for the products or goods that they bought from a particular business establishment.
- In case of a defect or problem with the purchased item, a purchase receipt along with the item’s warranty statement is presented in order to have the item replaced, repaired, or refunded.
- Purchase receipts are also used to determine the actual purchase price of items such as jewelries, antiques, and other equipment in the event that the owner decides to pawn them or sell them to somebody else. It can be used as a basis of the items for appraisal. You may also see fundraiser receipt templates.
- It helps keep track of the goods that has been sold by a business, as well as keep a record of all the sales transaction that took place. These records are then used at the end of every month in the inventory of goods and determine the income generated for the whole month.
- Customers or buyers can use a purchase receipt to keep track of the things that they bought and the amount that they have spent on such purchase. This can be very useful when one is on a budget and is recording it in a budget spreadsheet template.
You may also be interested in other types of receipts, such as parking receipts, store receipts, and order receipts.
What Is the Difference between a Receipt and an Invoice?
Receipts and invoice are often considered to mean the same thing. For a lot of people, a simple invoice means a receipt and a receipt means an invoice. Truth is, they may have similarities but they are actually not the same. This is a common misconception among a lot of people. In order to gain a clear understanding of these two intriguing words, it is important for us to be able to identify their differences through the comparison we have made below.
- Receipts are issued or provided to customers or buyers after they have made the payment for the products or services that they have purchased from a store or business establishment. You may also see order receipt templates.
- They include the amount paid by the customer or buyer, the mode of payment used, the date when the payment was made, the change provided to the buyer if paid through cash, and the name of the cashier who processed the transaction.
- It is used as a proof of the purchase made by the customer or buyer or the confirmation that payment has been made. You may also like sample general receipt templates to download.
- The receipt indicates the total amount that is paid by the buyer along with the actual discount that they have received from such purchase.
- An invoice, on the other hand, is provided by the seller to the buyer to request for payment to be made to the items to be purchased. This means that an invoice is issued before the payment is made, which is contrary to that of a receipt. You may also see sample service receipt templates.
- Since it is issued before payment is made, it only includes the total amount that the buyer or customer needs to pay and other details of the merchandise that are yet to be sold. It does not show the mode of payment used, the change given, and the name of the person who processed the actual payment transaction. You may also like printable receipt templates.
- It cannot be used as a proof of purchase since the goods have not been officially sold and paid for by the buyer.
- Its main purpose is to provide a detailed record of the goods or services that a buyer or customer has ordered.
What do you think is the key defining characteristics that tells both receipt and invoice apart? You can say that it is the time when they are issued. Just take note that a receipt is issued after payment is made and an invoice is issued before payment is made. That way you would easily remember them and avoid confusion. Learn more about receipts and invoices on our website. We have here a variety related topics that you can choose from, like blank invoice samples, sales receipt samples and templates, and commercial sales invoice samples and templates.
Real Estate Purchase Receipt
Deposit Purchase Receipt
Goods Purchase Order Receipt
Lubricating Oil Purchase Receipt
How Can You Make Money with Purchase Receipts?
It sounds crazy thinking about how you can earn money with purchase receipts, where in the first place you spend money to get them. You would probably think if that is even possible. Well, it is possible, and a lot of people have been doing it for years. They often refer to it as a cash back. With the help of technological advancement, it is even made easier for everyone to make money through receipts. Here are some ways on how you can go about doing so. You may also like restaurant receipt templates.
- There are a lot of different application that you can use to be able to turn your receipts into cash. What you need to do is take a picture of your receipt using the application and follow the instructions to have it submitted for you to get the cash back.
- Retailers have also partnered with these online applications if they do not have an application of their own. This aims to encourage their customers or buyers to always ask for a receipt in all of their purchase transactions because if they do so, they’ll get some money back in return. You may also check out catering receipt templates.
- There are government campaigns that encourage every consumer or buyer to always ask for a receipt every time they make a purchase. To further motivate buyers to do this, they have created a program where they provide a dollar equivalent to every printed receipt submitted to them within a particular period of time. If you have a lot of purchase receipts that are starting to become clutter, why not gather them and turn them into cash?
- Who says these cash back campaigns are only good for printed receipts? If you have a lot of online purchase receipts sent to your email, you can still get a cash back for them. There are certain applications that will help you do that automatically after you sign up with them. So start saving those online receipts to get more money. You may also see construction receipt templates.
- If you cared to check your receipt until the last part of the printed sheet, you might notice that some receipts provide you with a link to a short survey. Don’t ignore these surveys as there are freebies waiting for you after you have completed them. I had a free cup of delicious coffee after participating in one.
The next time you see any of your purchase receipts lying around on your desk or piling up in your bag, you know better than to throw them away. So start keeping and organizing your receipts so that you can have more chances of getting a cash back. Just imagine how many times you make a purchase for a certain period of time. More purchase receipts means more money back. Also check out related topics, like General Receipt Samples & Templates, Payment Receipt Samples, and Refund Receipt Samples & Templates on our website.
What are E-Receipts?
In an effort to make purchase transactions paperless not only online but in actual stores, retailers have started the use of e-receipts, also known as electronic receipts. E-receipts work just like any other receipt, which is to serve as proof of payment and acknowledgment that payment has already been made for a particular purchase. The only difference between printed receipts and e-receipts is the way they are issued or provided to buyers. With printed receipts, you get a paper receipt right after making the payment. On the other hand, an e-receipt is sent to the buyer’s email address right after payment is made for their purchase. You may also see sales receipt template download for free.
The use of e-receipts is highly encouraged by many retailers and other business so that they can cut certain costs without actually drastically affecting the services that they provide. Other companies like telephone, Internet, and cable service providers charge their customers a dollar or two for a printed copy of their service bill. Opting them to use e-receipts allows their customers to save more. In addition, e-receipts helps to save trees from being cut. The lesser paper we use, the more trees are spared and allowed to grow as old as they can.
Other receipt templates you might be interested in are expense receipt templates, loan receipt templates, and sample photography receipt templates.