An affidavit of support is basically a document that assures the authorized bodies know that an individual is accepting the responsibility of financing someone else or becoming a financial sponsor to someone who is about to live in the United States on a permanent basis.
When you want to immigrate to the United States, you want to make sure that you get the best affidavit of support because you want to make sure that you get reunited with your family as soon as possible. This is why we have a couple of affidavit of support samples that can be of help. We would also like to take you on a step-by-step guide on how you can get a good affidavit of support. So keep reading if you would like to find out more.
Example of Affidavit of Support
Affidavit of Financial Support Letter in PDF
Sample Affidavit of Support Letter
Sample Affidavit of Support
Affidavit of Support Income
Affidavit of Support Form
Getting an Affidavit of Support
Immigrating to the United States, or any country for that matter, can be quite a lengthy process. One of the things involved with immigration is getting a sponsor who will write you an affidavit of support and will willingly support you financially while you get settled in the country.
1. The Need for the Affidavit
The affidavit of support that you have can either be in basic application form format or can also be in formal business letter format. Whatever format you choose, make sure that you follow the steps we have for you below.
- Ask the help of an attorney. Immigration laws and immigration officers are pretty stringent about deciding immigration cases. So you want to make sure that you have someone with you that has an expertise regarding immigration laws such as an attorney. The attorney you hired will help you review your application and give you an outline for what you need to accomplish during this process. You may also see free affidavit forms.
- Determine your visa. You want to make sure that you already have a good idea about what type of visa you would like to apply for. There are a couple of visas that may need an affidavit of support while there are others that do not need any. So make sure that you know your visa type and review the requirements for this with your lawyer. You can find more about visa and visa application by checking out Sample Visa Sponsorship Letter.
- Exemptions for affidavit of support. There are certain circumstances wherein there is no need for you to secure an affidavit of support. Some of the most common circumstances wherein an affidavit is exempted are the following:
- Using an approved Form I-360 (for self-petitioning widow or widower and battered spouse/child).
- A child whose entry to the United States entitles him/her to become a citizen of the country.
- Getting a covered 40 quarters due to Social Security through your job or or your parent’s job.
2. Securing the Requirements
- Deciding what form should be used. There are three types of forms that can be used when it comes to immigration.
- Form I-864EZ – This form is a more condensed version of Form I-864. If your immigration sponsor and your supporting sponsor are the same person, this is the form that is used. The income that will reflect when this form is used is the entire salary that you have or the pension that you will be receiving based on your W-2.
- Form I-864A – When one sponsor does not meet the requirements of sponsoring a potential immigrant, a co-sponsor is usually needed. This form will act as a contract between the main sponsor and the co-sponsor.
- Form I-864W – This form is used when you fall under any exemptions. You may also like sample affidavit forms.
- Outline the liabilities of the sponsors and co-sponsors (if any). The affidavit of support is a security that will help to ensure that the immigrant will have someone who will support him/her during his/her stay in the country while they are still unable to support themselves financially. The affidavit of support will stipulate that the sponsor is going to be responsible for everything that is related to finances such as liabilities, debts, as well as allowance for the immigrant’s basic needs. Some of the expenses that the sponsor will need to cover are as follows:
- Medical expenses
- Public assistance sponsored by the US government
- Contractual debts. You may also check out sample sworn statements.
- Locating a sponsor. A ton of times, a sponsor will be a relative who is already living in the United States. Your sponsor is also typically the one who is taking care of your visa. You want to make sure that the sponsor meets all the basic criteria of a qualified sponsor. The basic qualifications are as follows:
- A current resident of the United States
- 18 years old
- A US citizen or a permanent resident
- Have income assets way above the poverty line. You might be interested in affidavit of loss samples & templates.
3. Preparing the Forms Needed
You want to make sure that when it comes to the needed forms, you have downloaded all of the latest versions of the forms. To properly prepare the forms, you want to make sure that you do the following:
- Make sure to fill out that form in all CAPITAL letters.
- Print everything in black ink.
- Attach all of the necessary documentation for proof that your sponsor is capable enough to support you financially.
- Consult with your attorney before handing in the forms you have filled out.
- If you have any problems regarding the document, you may want to ask the USCIS for confirmation.
More information about immigration applications at Steps to Writing a Reference Letter for Immigration.
Affidavit of Support Sample Letter
Affidavit of Financial Support Form
Immigration Affidavit of Support
Child Support Financial Affidavit
Affidavit of Support For Spouse
Collecting the Financial Documents
Once you have submitted the documents that you need for visa application, you may want to start collecting the financial documents that will be needed to prove that the sponsor is capable of providing for your needs as an immigrant.
What financial documents are needed? Here’s a quick list that you can show your sponsor:
1. IRS Tax Transcript.
Nowadays, it is easier to get your hands on an IRS Tax Transcript. You can easily apply online and get it via email or via mail.
- If you applied for extensions, you may want to submit an IRS Form 4868 or attach a statement letter that proves that you filed for an extension.
- If you failed to file your taxes, write a statement letter proving that you did not file your taxes.
- If you cannot get an IRS Tax Transcript, submit the most recent copy that you have of your W-2 Form or Tax Return Forms.
2. Evidence of Income.
This can be payslips, employment certificate, or the business license. If the sponsor is retired, this can include retirement benefits and retirement documents.
3. Proof of relationship.
To prove the relationship of a sponsor and an immigrant, the following forms may be submitted:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Adoption certificate
- Tax Income Returns (if you are a dependent)
- Notarized statement letter to prove the relationship. You may also like letter of support samples.
4. Proof of domicile.
This is usually in a formal letter form that will indicate how the sponsor meets the domicile requirement.
5. Proof of US status.
A copy of the following documents may be submitted:
- Birth certificate indicating that the sponsor was born in the United States
- Naturalization Certificate
- US Passport
- Green Card
6. SSA Earnings Statements.
SSA Earnings Statements can be downloaded online.
7. Proof of assets.
If you used assets to meet the minimum income requirements, make sure that you submit a copy of your assets’ statements. You may also check out sample notary statements.
Responsibilities of a Sponsor
When your sponsor agrees to become your sponsor and signs the affidavit, he/she accepts the legal responsibility of taking care of the finances that you would be needing while you are in the United States. His/her support usually lasts up until the time that you become a US citizen or if you are eligible to be credited with 40 quarters of work. You may also see gun bill of sale samples.
So what are the basic responsibilities of a sponsor?
- Repaying costs that the agency has provided the immigrant.
- Paying the debt that the immigrant has incurred while he/she is in the United States. Failure to pay debts and liabilities can end up with your sponsor facing charges in court.
- If there is a co-sponsor, the co-sponsor shares the same responsibilities as the main sponsor.
You might be interested in sample deed of trust forms.
Meeting the Income Threshold
There are times when a sponsor may not be able to reach the minimum income target needed to qualify for the sponsorship. Should this occur, a co-sponsor may fill in the gap. The co-sponsor should be related to the sponsor by birth, by marriage or by adoption and living in the same residence as the sponsor for six months. You may also like change log templates.
There you have it! Those are the basics about how you can get your hands on a good affidavit of support.
If you find that you are unsuccessful with your application, it’s okay. You should not be discouraged and you should definitely try again.
All the best of luck with your adventures in the United States of America!
12+ Sample Domestic Partnership Agreement
9+ Non Receipt Sample
9+ Sample Gift Letter
9+ Sample Thank You for Your Support Letter
8+ Sample Gun Bill of Sale
6+ Letter of Support
6+ Sample Character Reference Letter for Court
46+ Statement Form Examples
31+ Sworn Statement Templates
29+ Statement Samples & Templates
18+ Witness Letter Format
9+ Sample Notary Statements
8+ Sample Bill of Sale For Gun
8+ Sample Guardianship Form
6+ Sample Proof of Funds Letter