You may have pursued the arts thinking you are exempt from the nitty-gritty of the business world. This, however, is a misconception. At the very least, the one thing you cannot avoid is the resume. A resume summarizes your list of skills and qualifications for any job; keyword any. This includes professions relating to the arts.
As an aspiring actor or actress, even a resume is a basic requirement. You take one with you to auditions or screen tests. The whole point is the same: your resume should sell what you have to offer. Specifically, however, theater or actor resumes are formatted rather uniquely. To guide you, see these Sample Resumes.
Sample Musical Theatre Resume
Theatre Art Resume in PDF
Film Theatre Resume Example
Professional Theatre Resume to Download
Free Theatre Director Resume
The assumption is that you just go to audition after audition, hoping for a callback, and eventually a role. One would think that such a process is devoid of paperwork and documentation apart from the scripts and the lines, but a resume is still actually a requirement. Basically, it should be formatted as these Sample Acting Resumes.
All other jobs in the performance arts require these resumes too. For instance, dancers like in these Sample Dance Resumes. For applications in this industry, resumes should put the spotlight on a talent’s experience, skills, and qualifications. That said, do not be in a hurry to pen out the typical chronological or functional resumes, because a theatre resume differs in a lot of ways.
The Actor’s Headshot
A performer’s calling card in this industry is his or her headshot. What most people do not know, however, is that attached or stuck behind the headshot is the actors’ or actress’ theatre resume. The first rule to take note of is that these two always come together and should never be apart.
The headshot itself should follow these industry preferences:
- sized 8 × 10 inches;
- in matte, not glossy finish; and
- as dramatic as black and white photographs can be, your headshot should be in full color.
Smiling headshots are typically suited for more “commercial roles,” while serious ones are said to be for the more serious or “theatrical.”
As for the the theatre resume, it should follow the following guidelines.
The Actor’s Resume
Chronologically, these are the details that it should contain:
- HeaderYour resume starts with your name, in bold. Beneath it, indicate your expertise. For instance “actor-writer,” “actor-ballet dancer,” or just “actor” or “actress.” If you have an agent, this should be followed by his or her contact information. If not, just put in your own. Remember to use a professional, rather than a personal e-mail, because landing jobs in this industry is still a professional process.
- Associations or AffiliationsThese are acting guilds or groups that you belong to, if any. This section is a good reference point for your work.
- Physical FeaturesActing is a very visual art. Include this section to let casting directors determine whether you look the part or if you look appealing to audiences.
- Acting ExperienceThis is the most important section of your theater resume. Start the list with the biggest role you have had. For every item on this list, specify the production, the role you played in it, and its director.
- Artistic TrainingIf you trained in an acting school, indicate where and when. Include acting programs you may have attended here too.
Theatre Regional Resume Sample
Printable Theatre Training Resume
Standard Theatre Acting Resume Sample
Printable Theatre Skills Resume
Theatre Resume in Word
Since it is attached at the back of your 8 × 10 headshot, all these details should be found in a single page. To guide you further, see these Resume Templates.
26+ Professional Manager Resume Samples
32+ Executive Resume Designs
11+ Executive Resume Examples
31+ Executive Resumes in Word
12+ Executive Resume Samples
10+ Sample Executive Resumes
8+ Executive Resume Templates – Samples , Examples & Format
9+ Sample Police Resumes
7+ Sample Police Officer Resumes
9+ Sample Administrative Assistant Resumes
10+ Administrative Assistant Resume Samples
11+ Sample Admin Assistant Resumes
15+ Sample Supervisor Resumes to Free Download
11+ Sample Supervisor Resumes
10+ Programmer Resume Templates – Samples , Examples & Format