When was the last time you updated your resume? Did you know that every year, writing styles for resumes change? You have to to be up-to-date with the latest trends, especially since more and more corporate companies are looking for employees who are into what’s new and what’s the current buzz.
Keep in mind though to keep the basics. Just play it up with the new formatting styles that are considered to be the year’s flavor. We’ll help you figure out what are the best format for resumes that should be used for the year 2017. We will give you a couple of tips for picking the best resume format to use, as well as a few samples that you can refer to.
Resume/CV Writing Guide 2016–2017
This document will serve as your guide when it comes to knowing what to put in your resume. It comes with a list of verbs you can incorporate in your resume and a resume sample that will be useful especially for those who are new to writing resumes.
No Experience Resume Sample for 2017
No experience? Here’s the perfect resume! Despite not having any work experience, it should never be an excuse to not be updated with the current resume format trends. This sample is great and will definitely be a great reference.
Chronological Resume Template 2017
This chronological resume template will give you an idea about what this type of resume looks like. Should you prefer using this resume format, you can definitely use this one as reference.
Types of Resumes and Who Should Use Them
Let’s start with a few resume basics. Let us talk about the three types of resume out there.
A chronological resume, as its name suggests, lists down your relevant work experiences in chronological order—from the most recent one going down to the first. The following should make use of a chronological resume:
- Job applicants with a few employment gaps
- Job applicants with a wide variety of professional experience
- Job applicants who have a steady career path
A functional resume is meant to highlight your skills and abilities. It is commonly used by job applicants who are short on relevant experiences and want the employer to focus more on what they can contribute to the company. If you plan on using this resume format, make sure to make a list of your strongest skills and qualities to include in your resume.
These resumes are ideal for the following:
- Job applicants who have a big gap in their employment history
- Job applicants who are looking into a big career change
A combination resume is a mix of the chronological and functional resume. If you are going to apply for a job that requires a ton of skill and expertise, then this resume format is perfect for you. These are also ideal for job applicants who are looking into moving from one industry to another.
Combination Resume Template 2017
Functional Resume Format 2017
2017 Resume Template in Word
Helpful Reminders in Formatting Your Resume
- Resume length. The length of a resume is not fixed as it all depends on your experiences. Preferably, resumes should not be more than two pages long. If you feel like your resume is going to be longer than two pages, you may opt to prefer a curriculum vitae.
- Font. The font style and size of your resume is part of the expert tips on resume principles that you should always remember. Make use of Sans Serif or Serif font styles ranging between a 10.5–12 font size.
- Margins. The general rule is to use a one-inch margin on all sides of your paper.
- Bullets. Bullets are easier on the eyes and will make everything easier to read compared to blocks of texts.
We hope you learned a thing or two with the help of the tips we have and the samples we have presented. It is now time to start updating your resumes. Type away!
8+ Sample Basic Resumes – PDF, DOC
6+ Sample Hostess Resumes – PDF, DOC
9+ Curriculum Vitae Examples – PDF, Word
8+ Basic Resume Samples, Examples, Templates
7+ Hostess Resumes Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Event Coordinator Resumes in PDF
8+ Sample Event Coordinator Resumes in Word, PDF
Simple Guide to Creating Your Own Resume
Curriculum Vitae vs. Resume
31+ Professional Manager Resume Samples
42+ Professional Fresher Resumes
11 Customer Service Resumes to Download
7 College Student Resume Templates Download for Free
22+ Resume Writing Samples & Templates – PDF, Word
10 Resume Writing Samples & Templates