When it’s time to leave your job in a company for good and move on to other opportunities, you can’t just dash and go without leaving something behind that will indicate you once worked there. For most positions, especially at the project management or supervisory level, an employee must write a handover note to help his or her replacement, or the people left in the company know his or her responsibilities and what unfinished tasks need to be continued. A handover note does not have to be pages long; in fact, you can only send a one-page copy that summarizes everything that needs to be done by your replacement once you’re no longer in the company. Read the article to know how to make a short handover note.
3+ Short Handover Note Samples
1. Short Handover Procedure Note Template
2. Sample Short Handover Assignment Note Template
3. Short Post Handover Note Template
4. Sample Short Handover Report Note Template
What is a Handover Note?
A handover note is an official document created by an employee who is going to leave their position and the company and the document will assist their successor or replacement to continue in carrying out his duties and responsibilities.
How to Make a Short Handover Note
- Give yourself some time to write your handover note. The handover note sample is a document that contains important information on your responsibilities so take some time into making it. You don’t want to do it at the last minute when you’re more likely to forget to include a task or two.
- Write your handover note or encode it in a Word document. This is the easiest and fastest way to produce a handover note. And it is also a much more formal approach rather than writing it through email. You’re only writing a brief note, so a simple Word document or even a handwritten one will do.
- Now it’s time to finally write the actual handover note. Even though it is short, be sure to be concise and include the most important details only, such as the tasks that need to be done and information that is useful for the job estimate. The format of writing the final output of your handover note follows:
- Information of the day-to-day tasks and priorities; Detailed information on your day-to-day activities, tasks, and priorities. It could be a table that states the tasks, their details, their timeline, and persons involved or responsible for the tasks.
- Schedule of upcoming events and deadlines,
- Login information, passwords, and guide of navigating some systems in the computer
- Expectations for your successor and a sample brief discussion of ongoing issues within your job and the company,
- List of files and documents that will be handed over to the successor, and
- List of contacts or partners in the projects you were handling.
- Once you’re done writing your handover note, hold a meeting note with your supervisor or manager and your colleagues, especially your successor, who will be affected by your leave. Discuss your handover note to note if there are any changes or any tasks information you forgot to add and you can give instructions to your successor on how to deliver the tasks you have left for them.
How long should a handover take?
The handover of an employee should only take at least half a day. It includes telling the successor of a leaving employee about their day-to-day tasks and training them on how to do the job.
Why is handover so important?
The importance of having a handover process manual is to inform any shift or changes within the organization’s personnel to continue to deliver efficient work within it even though a certain employee has left the organization.
A handover note is great for your colleagues not contacting you when you’re no longer in the company and it helps you leave the company on a good note and makes you an overall responsible person. This also helps you reflect on all the responsibilities that you’ve achieved while you’re in the company. To start writing a short handover note, check out our free handover note templates and download them right now.
FREE 17+ Sample Engineering Reports
FREE 10+ Budget Report Samples
FREE 10+ Delegation Letter Templates
FREE 9+ Thank You Note Samples
FREE 9+ Sample Progress Note
FREE 9+ Ownership Transfer Letter Samples
Best Way to Write Clinical Notes
FREE 7+ Sample Weekly Agenda
FREE 7+ Letter of Resignation Samples
FREE 3+ Sample Business Lease Agreement
FREE 22+ Promissory Note Samples
FREE 20+ Sample Restaurant Business Plan
FREE 9+ Daily Report Samples
FREE 9+ Medical Note Samples
FREE 9+ Market Research Report Samples