Every hour spent doing work needs to be appropriately compensated. When certain issues and other significant events happen in the workplace, you may need to put it in a daily log. This way, a daily log acts as a diary of the project. There are a variety of Daily Log Uses that make them vital documents of any organization.
Daily logs are usually free form documents that are done based on the worker’s preferences. However, more companies have incorporated the use of a standardized daily log with fields for date, event, responsibility, and so on. When Creating a Daily Log, the sample daily log templates that we provide here would surely be very useful.
Construction Daily Logs
Construction Daily Report
Project Daily Logs
The Purpose of a Daily Log
A daily log is basically a record filled by an employee with some informal issues or the things that they have accomplished during a given day. Because of its nature, this log needs to be updated daily. You can download our sample daily log for your own use. Below are some additional important uses of a daily log.
- They give the owner an insight on what is done on a daily basis.
- They are acceptable as documentary evidence in court.
- They keep track of employee performance
- They measure project progress.
How to Write a Daily Log for Work
As the name implies, the daily log needs to be written daily. However, not everyone does it and not everyone does it right. For a more organized way of keeping a time log, use our Log Templates. They are especially made to foster productivity in the workplace. Below are steps to follow in writing a daily log for work.
- Make sure information is organized. Our daily log templates are made in such a way that information is easy to find.
- Be descriptive. Be detailed as to what happened or what you did throughout the day.
- Stick to facts. The daily log can be a legal document also, so be sure that what you enter are pure facts.
Daily Activity Logs
Employee Daily Activity Log
Daily Work Activity
Daily Physical Activity
Daily Work Log
Printable Daily Work Sheet
Daily Medication Logs
Student Daily Medication
Daily Plan vs. Daily Log: A Comparison
Most people confuse a daily log to a daily plan. These two are completely different things though. For a clearer sample of daily logs, check out our daily log template word to see what they look like. The difference between the two could be accurately expressed through a single phrase: expectation versus reality.
- Daily Plan = Expectation. This is the main difference between a daily plan and a daily log, with expectation being the daily plan and the reality being the daily log. With a daily plan, you are making a list of things that you want or need to accomplish during a given day. By making a plan of things to do during the day, you are outlining a list of your expectations for the day. In this way, it functions as a to-do list. While it is important to prepare a daily plan, not all the things you planned are actually accomplished.
- Daily Log = Reality. A daily log, on the other hand, is a list of things that have actually happened throughout the day. This way, the daily log is a reflection of the real events during the day. A daily log reflects the actual events that happened during the day. While a daily plan lays down all events planned for the day, only the exact things that were accomplished during the day are recorded on the daily log.
Daycare Daily Logs
Employee Daily Logs
Employee Daily Productivity Log
Daily Nutrition Logs
Printable Daily Nutrition Log
Patient Daily Logs
Patient Daily Care Log
Security Daily Logs
What Is a Daily Learning Log?
Schools are also a place where a daily log is kept. One particular kind of daily log that is prepared in schools is the daily learning log. A daily learning log is an official record of all the activities and learning occurrences in the classroom. This daily log is prepared by the teacher. Take a look at these Research Log Templates for more information regarding those. In a daily learning log, the teacher enumerates in detail the lesson for the day, including the learning objectives, the activities that were done, the evaluation method, and so on. This way, the teacher has an organized way of doing the lessons every day.
How to Make a Daily Log on Excel
With the rows and columns that an Excel file contains, it is a great place to make a daily log. When using Excel, you can put the detail of your log in tabular form, which makes it easier to understand. Draw inspiration from daily log template Excel so it is easier to make. Below are the steps to follow when making a generic daily log on Excel.
- Open an MS Excel file and rename it with your desired file name (e.g., Daily Log).
- Merge the first few cells and add your name.
- Label the first column “Date.”
- Label the column after it “Activity,” for you to place in detail what you did.
- Label the next column “Total number of hours.”
School Daily Logs
Daily Business Logs
Business Expense Log
Daily Cleaning Log
Daily Restroom Cleaning
Daily Diet Log
Daily Exercise Logs
Food and Exercise
Daily Exercise Activity Log
Daily Job Log
Job Work Log
Job Activity Log
Guidelines in Making a Daily Log
For some, a daily log has become commonplace that they don’t put too much thought into making them. Some of them just simply supply the information that were required on the different fields. Remember, however, that a daily log is not just a record of the things that happened during the day. It could also be the basis for the decisions in making the necessary changes for improvement. This way, it can function the same way as an action log. Check out these Action Log Templates if you are interested in those. When making a daily log, however, here are some guidelines that needed to be observed.
- Add time stamps on the daily log. Some logs do not require this but it would surely be helpful to add the exact time when you finished what you are doing or when something happened.
- Provide a detailed description of the event or what was done. You need to be specific on what was exactly accomplished during a given day.
- Keep it simple. The daily log is not a place to showcase your creative writing skills. Be concise and factual.
Daily logs are helpful little documents for every organization. When needing one for your own use, don’t hesitate to download and use our daily log templates.
19+ Inspection Checklist Samples
21+ Restaurant Checklist Templates to Download
11+ Event Checklist Templates
12+ Event Checklist Templates – Samples, Examples & Format
7+ Birthday Party Checklist Templates to Download
10+ Grant Budget Samples
9+ Grant Budget Samples
13+ Annual Budget Samples – PDF, Word, Excel
13+ Sample Annual Budget Templates – Word, PDF, Excel
8+ Sample Catering Quote Templates
19+ Sample Sales Proposal Templates – PDF, Word, PSD
11+ Sample Grant Proposals – Word, PDF, Pages
17+ Sample Grant Proposal Templates – Word, PDF, Pages
9+ Small Business Investment Samples – PDF, Word
6+ Sales Budget Samples