One of the most deadliest natural calamities that we human beings have encountered are earthquakes. What makes this calamity dangerous is because of its unpredictability, unlike typhoons or cyclones with the help of modern technology has managed to save lives. The damages an earthquake could bring is catastrophic in nature, not only does it take lives but the aftermath of its destruction could bring the lost of property and affect the flow of business. Earthquakes also prompts another deadly calamity called a tsunami, most especially when the earthquake must be a shallow marine event that displaces the seafloor. Also fires, landslides and building collapse. And since earthquakes are part of nature, and this is something we humans have to live with. It has become of great importance that an earthquake action plan are thought about most especially in areas that are constantly struck by this unfortunate disaster. Read more about earthquake action plans in our article below and check out our free earthquake action plan samples to help you make one.
10+ Earthquake Action Plan Samples
1. Earthquake Action Plan Template
2. Earthquake Action Plan
3. Earthquake Emergency Action Plan
4. Earthquake Leader Action Plan
5. Sample Earthquake Action Plan
6. Earthquake Safety Action Plan
7. Earthquake Contingency Action Plan
8. Pre-Earthquake Action Plan
9. School Earthquake Safety Action Plan
10. Earthquake Zone Fuel Action Plan
11. Earthquake Medical Emergency Action Plan
What Is an Earthquake Action Plan?
Since earthquakes are a reality of nature, advance preparation is a priority of everyone in a city or community most especially in earthquake-prone areas. It is important to let everyone know the danger that an earthquake can cause, and since earthquakes cannot be prevented the next best thing to do is to prepare in advance in case an earthquake would strike. An earthquake action plan is a detailed plan intended to guide anyone in earthquake prone areas in order to minimize the loss of life, personal injury and damage to personal and commercial property. This type of action plan is quite beneficial for business establishments, building owners, schools and a community or city in general. But this is not limited to such, it would also be wise to create earthquake action plans for you personally and your family. As they say, its better safe than sorry. So the best time to prepare is better it happens, because once it happens you will know what to do and what not to do.
How To Create an Earthquake Action Plan?
Earthquakes can be quite a traumatizing experience most especially strong ones, if unprepared it can cause chaos and panic which may lead to more casualties. While an earthquake action plan cannot 100% prevent fatality, nor can it avoid any casualties but it can help lower the number of loses. Creating appropriate actions that everyone should take before, during, and after an earthquake occurs. Earthquake action plans may differ where these are implemented (schools, businesses, community) but here the following general information that will guide you on how you can create an earthquake action plan.
I. Preparation Before An Earthquake
If your area is well-known to have occasional to frequent earth tremors then it is highly advisable that everyone in the community from schools, business establishments, private homes and every citizen are prepared beforehand. This would include the following:
- Mandatory earthquake drills. Practice drop, cover, and hold on with family and coworkers.
- A well-stocked earthquake emergency kits
- Create an emergency communications plan that has an out-of-state contact.
- Create an emergency back-up plan.
- Inspect all fire protection and safety equipment.
- Protect your property in advance, by conducting regular safety inspections.
- Emergency plans in case of a tsunami or landslide should occur.
II. In An Event of An Earthquake
When an earthquake finally occurs, most of the times we are either too shock and afraid to move or may most likely panic. But you must always remember what you, your colleagues, family and friends have practiced beforehand. It is important to have presence of mind and stay calm as possible as this would safe not only your life but of others as well. Your earthquake action plans when an earthquake occurs are as follows:
- Keep in mind to follow you have practiced: drop, cover, and hold on process.
- Remember to follow the procedures given during the earthquake drill.
- Procedures to turn off any electrical connected appliances during a power failure.
- Proceed to follow instructions in case an tsunami warning has been issued, most especially those who are located by the open sea or ocean.
III. Aftermath Of an Earthquake
After an earthquake occurs, this does not simply mean you are entirely safe. The likelihood of aftershocks are to occur, and more importantly you must be aware of any damages in your surroundings and if anyone has been injured. Your action plan should include:
- Procedures how to carefully check on serious hazards such as damage to the building, leaking gas and water lines, or downed power lines.
- Fire safety procedures
- Procedures how to assist the injured
- Visual inspection of the property for evident hazards such as structural damage, potential building collapse, power cable damage, developing fires, and gas or water pipe damage and leaks.
- Instructions how to report to local authorities.
- Evacuation procedures after an earthquake
Take note, the main objectives of your earthquake action plans is not only intended for the safety of human lives, but to ensure the public and private properties are earthquake ready and strong enough to withstand the tremors and induce less damage.
Why Is an Earthquake Drill Important?
An earthquake drill is one of the earthquake preparedness measure that would help business establishments, school and a community as a whole what to do when an earthquake occurs. Several procedures are implemented during these drills, helping people prepare in advance.
Why Is It Important to Be Prepared for a Natural Disaster?
Being prepared can reduce panic and chaos–which is one of the reasons that can add to injuries and damage. And it is also designed to coordinate a plan that reduces the waste of resources, time, and efforts.
What Is Disaster Preparedness?
This is the knowledge, capabilities, and actions of governments, organizations, community groups, and individuals to identify, assess and manage disaster related risk.
Over the years, earthquakes has claimed thousands of lives and inflicted millions worth of damages. This calamity has managed to create adverse impact on societies, changing the lives who had lived to tell their tale. So implementation of earthquake action plans are increasingly becoming mandatory most especially in earthquake-prone areas, in hopes to further save lives and minimize the damages these earthquakes can cause.
FREE 41+ Printable Checklist Samples
FREE 23+ Wedding Contract Templates
FREE 16+ Training Checklist Samples in Excel PDF | MS Word ...
FREE 11+ Sample Inflation Calculator
FREE 10+ Medical Business Proposal Samples
FREE 10+ Health and Safety Checklist Samples
FREE 10+ Fiscal Policy Samples
FREE 10+ Sample Wedding
FREE 9+ Sample Action Reports
FREE 7+ Sample Project Proposal Reports
FREE 43+ Report Examples
FREE 37+ Checklist Samples
FREE 29+ Formal Request Letter Templates
FREE 10+ Sample Sales Contracts
FREE 9+ Retirement Speech