It is important that you know the format of a resume before you try to make one. We write resumes to accompany an application letter for a specific job that we want to apply for. Writing a resume requires skills to make it effective because an effective resume can definitely get you the job.
Whether you are a new graduate applying for your first job, or you want to switch careers, a resume is a necessary document every time you apply for one. If you need to write a resume, there are various types available on this site. Read more about general resume types below.
Tips in Formatting Your Resume
In order to format your resume as effectively as possible, you can follow these tips to help you. Resume templates are also available for you to download to help you format your resume.
- One important tip when creating a resume is to keep it clear and simple. Creating a complicated resume will only lessen your chances of getting the job that you are applying for.
- Always keep your resume as professional as possible. Avoid using wacky fonts, glitter paper, cheap paper, or anything that will make it look unprofessional. A neat resume will give potential employers the impression that you really want the job.
- When creating your resume, also focus on the achievements that you have contributed to your previous jobs. State how a potential employer will benefit from your skills and experiences. This is essential if you want to get the job that you are applying for.
- When choosing a template or format for your resume, it is important to choose one that is appropriate with the position that you are applying for.
- The most important tip when writing your resume is to be honest. All the information that you write in your resume should be true. Potential employers will most likely spot exaggerated information written on your resume.
Types of Resumes
There are various types of resumes that you can use depending on the job that you are applying for. Here are the types of resumes that are commonly used. Also, you can use the sample resumes on this page to help you create one.
- Chronological Resume – this type of resume lists your most recent job first. This type of resume lists your work history in reverse chronological order, allowing the reader to easily see the most important information. A chronological resume is useful for those who have been in the same career for a long period of time since this highlights the positions that you have held in the past.
- Functional Resumes – Unlike a chronological resume that focuses on your work history, a functional resume mostly focuses on your skills and experience. A functional resume can be useful for new graduates or if you are switching careers.
- Combination Resume – a combination resume is a combination of both a functional and a chronological resume. First, it highlights the skills and experiences that you previously had and then your work history. A combination resume contains the important information that will make you the best fit for the job that you are applying for.
How to Format Your Resume
- Header – The first thing that a potential employer should see in your resume is the header. Your header should include personal information such as your name, address, contact number, and email address.
- Title – Your resume should include the position that you are applying for. For example, if you are applying as a manager, write “Manager” as the title of your resume. This allows your resume to stand out and most likely get noticed.
- Objective ∑ write an objective for your resume. An objective contains a short description of your goals for the company that you are applying for.
- Executive summary – some resumes require an executive summary, especially if you are applying for a higher position. An executive summary contains a summary of your past skills and experiences. Just like an objective, it should not contain more than a few sentences.
- Qualifications – this part of a resume contains a list of your qualifications and past experiences that will make you the best fit for the job that you are applying for.
- Education – for people who just graduated and is starting to apply for a job, writing your education is important.
8+ Sample Basic Resumes – PDF, DOC
6+ Sample Hostess Resumes – PDF, DOC
9+ Curriculum Vitae Examples – PDF, Word
8+ Basic Resume Samples, Examples, Templates
7+ Hostess Resumes Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Event Coordinator Resumes in PDF
8+ Sample Event Coordinator Resumes in Word, PDF
Simple Guide to Creating Your Own Resume
Curriculum Vitae vs. Resume
31+ Professional Manager Resume Samples
42+ Professional Fresher Resumes
11 Customer Service Resumes to Download
7 College Student Resume Templates Download for Free
22+ Resume Writing Samples & Templates – PDF, Word
10 Resume Writing Samples & Templates