When it comes to writing cover letters, you want it to end up becoming a job-winning cover letter. You want to be sure that all the effort you are expelling in writing a cover letter pays off. You want to avoid the possibility of it getting ignored or, worse, end up in the trash bin.
We want to help you make your cover letters better than ever. With that being said, we have prepared 10 quick tips that will definitely help you out. Aside from that, we have guide documents and free cover letter samples that you can use as a reference.
Writing Effective Cover Letters
Writing a Cover Letter Guide
Compelling Cover Letter Sample
Sample Academic Cover Letter
Sample Resume Cover Letter
Making Your Cover Letter Stand Out
- Properly address your letter to a specific contact person. It is definitely easier to personalize your cover letter if you can find the correct person to address your letter to. Letters starting with a general, “Dear Hiring Manager,” or “Dear Recruiter,” sounds more impersonal compared to a letter that starts with a “Dear Ms. Greene.”
- Introduce yourself. By introducing yourself, we mean introduce yourself in a specific manner—tell them your name, the position you are applying for, and what you can contribute to the company. It may come off as a surprise but it can definitely help set you apart from the other applicants.
- Customization is key. There are a ton of reasons why you should customize your cover letter. The key to an effective cover letter is a 1:1 ratio—one cover letter for each job application. Make sure you describe what you can bring to the table in a way that the company would also phrase it. Make sure you refer to the job postings of the positions you are applying for.
- Adequate research about the company is a MUST. A lot of companies now put up an online company profile. Use this to your advantage and read up on what the company’s goals, vision, and mission are. This way, you will have a good overview of what the company is all about. Employers are looking for candidates who are well-informed about what the company does and what the company is aiming for.
- Requirements needed for the position. Now, we just told you that you need to research about the company. Might as well research a bit about what the job position needs. Through your research, you will get an idea about what action verbs you should use and incorporate in your cover letter.
- Speak the language of the company. Strategic words are needed to make your cover letters appealing to the hiring manager or recruiter. Didn’t we say you should also research the job requirements? We are sure we did! Study the job requirement and incorporate some of the words in the job posting to your cover letter.
- Format your cover letter the same way as your resume. Make sure your cover letter matches your resume. Use the same font style, font size, margins, and spaces.
- Avoid sounding braggy and conceited. It is okay to talk about yourself but never, ever brag. Instead, sound professional and specific about your qualifications and skills. Flowery words should be avoided at all times.
- Review and edit. Reviewing and editing your cover letters is a big MUST. You also need to make sure you keep it short. Remember, you are not writing a short novel.
- End positively and in a strong manner. Let the recruiter/hiring manager know that you are willing to discuss your qualifications further through an interview. Make sure you leave relevant contact information to make it easy for them to get in touch with you.
Career Cover Letter Sample
Commerce Graduate Cover Letter
Sample Cover Letters for Resume
Writing Cover Letters Guide and Sample
If you follow all the tips we have mentioned, we are sure that you will avoid messing up your cover letters. This way, you will definitely get multiple callbacks and have a wide variety of job offers to choose from should you be one of the lucky ones.
FREE How Your Experience Level Impacts Your Cover Letter [ With Samples ]
FREE How to Format Your Cover Letter? [ With Samples ]
FREE 5 Reasons Why You Should Customize Your Cover Letter [ With Samples ]
FREE 11+ Sample Counter Offer Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 46+ Sample Business Letters Formats in PDF | MS Word
FRE 29+ Sample Letter of Recommendation in MS Word | PDF
FREE 10+ Official Letter Format Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 13+ Sample Catering Proposal Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 8+ Resignation Letter with Reason Samples in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Sample Business Proposal Cover Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word
FREE 25+ Doctor Letter Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | MS Outlook | PDF
FREE 53+ Payment Letter Formats in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 23+ Sample Experience Letter Templates in PDF | MS Word | Pages | Google Docs
FREE 30+ Sample of Termination Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF
FREE 9+ Sample Teaching Cover Letter Templates in MS Word | PDF