Orientations are conducted by schools, companies, and a number of other institutions to introduce new people or newcomers for the first time. This helps them learn and become familiar with the place or institutions they are going to be in, whether it be for school, work, or for personal matters.
Newcomers are scheduled to attend an orientation that is conducted by the institution that they are going to be part of. It is a gathering of different people in one place at the same time. Providing a complete and accurate orientation schedule is a task that needs to be planned carefully as there are a lot of other tasks associated with it. The aim of this article is to help you learn and understand what an orientation schedule is. You may also use the orientation schedule samples and templates attached in this article for whatever purpose it may serve you.
General Freshmen Orientation Schedule
New Employee Orientation Schedule Template
Sample Intern Orientation Schedule
College Freshman Orientation Schedule Template
Sample Fall Freshmen Orientation Schedule
College Students Orientation Schedule Template
Uses of an Orientation Schedule
Orientations are scheduled to welcome newbies into a particular institution and introduce them properly to the new environment that they will soon be a part of. The following are some of the uses of an orientation schedule.
- An orientation schedule is used to disseminate and provide accurate information about the exact date and time of an institution’s orientation as well as the exact number of people attending it.
- A properly scheduled and a planned orientation allows an institution to make the appropriate preparations to for the scheduled event. This way all of the required tasks and activities are discussed and covered.
- Newbies get to familiarize their new environment during a scheduled orientation, which later on helps them adapt faster to to the processes and things done in that environment, especially in the workplace.
- A well-oriented and introduced employee is important as this will help them become effective and productive members of the workforce.
- One of the important activities during an orientation is the meeting or introduction of newcomers to the management people, whether in the workplace or school setting. This meeting or introduction promotes communication between the new people and the management, together with other existing members of the said institution.
- It is also during orientation that employees are instructed about their job or position in a company or organization.
Scheduling orientations provide a lot of uses and benefits to the people who are involved in it. But it’s not just orientation schedules that are useful. There are other types of schedules that also provide a lot of uses and benefits, just like staff schedule templates, construction schedule templates, and interview schedule templates.
Who Needs to Attend An Orientation?
Orientations are aimed at newcomers as a form of introducing them to what is ahead of them in a particular environment. New students or transfer students are required to attend school orientations to introduce them to the school environment that they will be studying in and so that they can get acquainted with the teachers and other personalities within the school. It also helps them become familiar with the campus as well as the activities are going on and those that are still to come.
Another group of individuals who are required to attend orientations are new employees. Just like orientation for new students, orientation for new employees are also aimed at introducing new employees to their soon-to-be work environment. This introduction will make it easy for them to understand and get familiar with the processes and policies at work, as well as the things that they are expected to do. It also makes it easy for them to transition from new employees who know nothing about the job into productive and reliable employees in the future. Employees who clearly understand and know company policies are likely to stay in the company compared to those who did not get any orientation.
Existing students or employees also get the chance to attend another orientation. This happens when their school or company makes big changes or important changes to certain processes and policies. These orientations no longer aim to make introductions or orientations. The goal instead is to let the students or employees know of the major changes made as well as what is going to happen later on. Orientations are also done to disseminate information that needs to be explained in person rather than read in emails and bulletin posts. This just means that orientations are not always meant for newcomers. Other schedule-related topics you may be interested in are nursing schedule samples and templates, leave schedule samples and templates, and job schedule samples and templates.
Sample Summer First-Year Orientation Schedule
Highlander Orientation Family Program Schedule
New Student Orientation Sample Schedule
2017 New Employee Orientation Schedule Sample
Onsite orientation and Training Schedule Template
Type of Employee Orientation
There are different types of orientation that an employee undergoes on their scheduled orientation day. They are orientation to the facility and the staff, orientation about safety and other policies, and orientation about work expectations and company expectations. Each of these types of orientation are discussed below.
Orientation to the facility and the staff
It is always a good practice to orient new employees to the work environment that they will be a part of. This helps them function effectively with their jobs. This type of orientation includes the following activities:
- Introduction to managers, supervisors, and coworkers
- Showing the new employee or employees the specific locations in the office where they need to go to get supplies, use certain machines, their work station, and the dining or resting area
- Showing the employee the company grounds and where to find the tools they need to do their outdoor job
- Assigning a partner to whom the employee can approach or ask if they have any concerns or questions regarding their job
- Provision of the employee handbook and other office supplies that the new employee needs
- Distribution of their company IDs
- Creation of their computer log-ins, passwords, etc.
- Discussion about what must and must not be done within the facility or work premises
Orientation about safety and other policies
Safety should always be the top priority of any company regardless of how big or small they are. Employees should be kept safe at all times because they are the ones doing the work that generates income for the company. That is why every new employee should be oriented about the safety precautions and policies that the company follows to ensure the safety of all its employees. The following are the orientation activities included in this type of orientation:
- Discussion about the safety rules and regulations of the company as well as the safety rules and regulations implemented in the occupied building
- Showing the new employees the routes that could get them to safety in cases of emergency, like showing them where the stairs or the emergency exit is
- Giving a copy of the safety checklist of the company
- Orienting the new employees on where the first aid kits are located
- Giving a discussion about what they should and should not do in cases of different emergencies
- Clear discussion about other company policies, like office dress code, vacation leaves and sick leaves, attendance policies, and many more.
Orientation about work expectations and company expectations
Before any new employee starts working, they should be made well-aware of what is expected of them, which includes orienting the employee about the type of work expected from them and the company atmosphere you want to project. This will guide employees on how they should handle things and how other employees handle things within the company. The following are the activities included in type of orientation:
- Discuss about work output and how work should be done
- Tell them about the supplied tools they should use to get their work done
- Discuss about the company’s vision, mission, and goals
- Explain to the new employee the type of work environment you want to foster as well as the type of image you want to be projected by all employees
- Let new employees know what types of behavior you want in your company and explain to them why that is so
Every new employee will come across these types of orientation in their workplace and there could even be more depending on how the company conducts their work orientations. This just goes to show how orientation schedules help both new employees and companies understand each other. If you find this topic interesting, then you may also want to check out other related titles on our website like Office Schedule Samples and Templates, Volunteer Schedule Samples and Templates, and Weekly Task Schedule Samples & Templates.
10+ Audit Schedule Samples and Templates - PDF, Word, Excel
13+ Game Schedule Samples - PDF
11+ Snack Schedule Samples & Templates - PDF
Sample Schedule - 47+ Examples in PDF, Word, Excel
Sample Schedule C Form - Examples in PDF, Word
11+ Immunization Schedule Samples & Templates- PDF
Sample Excel Amortization Schedule - 8+ Examples in Excel
Sample Printable Daily Schedule Template - 23+ Free Documents in ...
Sample Vacation Schedule Template - 8+ Free Documents ...
12+ Baby Feeding Schedule Samples & Templates - Word, PDF
9+ Appointment Schedule Samples and Templates - PDF, Word, Excel
12+ Travel Schedule Samples and Templates - PDF
5+ Weekly Chore Schedule Samples and Templates - PDF, Word
Sample Schedule A Form - 8+ Examples in PDF
10+ Leave Schedule Samples & Templates - PDF, Word, Excel