We see a lot of forms in the in the hospital. There are different forms ranging from admission forms, laboratory forms, request forms, and medication forms, to name a few. This is because upon admission, the patient is transferred from one department to another until finally they are endorsed in the ward.
All of the forms that were filled out and signed for the patient or their significant others are gathered in one file for the attending physician and the nurses to see. Among these forms is the medication reconciliation form. It includes a detailed record of the medications that the patient is taking. It is created as accurate as possible. Sample Forms for medication reconciliation are shown below.
Outpatient Medication Reconciliation Form
Discharge Medication Reconciliation Form
Home Medication Reconciliation Form
System Based Medication Reconciliation Form in PDF
When Do Medication Errors Occur?
Medication errors are common mistakes that happen in health-care facilities. Although this type of error is common, there are still a lot of medical practitioners who commit these mistakes because of various reasons. Fifty percent of medication errors in hospitals occur during patient admission, patient transfers to another ward, and when the patient is discharged. Medication errors can occur when
- determining the medications that the patient is taking during admission;
- writing the medicines in the patient’s medication record; and
- giving prescription medication to the patient after admission, when transferring the patient to another ward, and during patient discharge.
How Does Medication Reconciliation Work?
- First, the Best Possible Medication History (BPMH) is acquired. It is a complete list of all the medications that the patient is currently and is regularly taking. This information is obtained as accurately as possible to avoid any medication errors.
- The BPMH is used when writing medication orders for admission, transfers, and discharge.
- The BPMH is then compared to the admission, transfer, and discharge medication orders. Changes are made appropriately if there are any discrepancies identified. All the changes made must be documented.
Other forms, like Employee Emergency Contact Forms are also available online.
Medication Reconciliation Form in PDF
Patient Medication Reconciliation Form Sample
Medication Reconciliation and Order Form in Doc
Ambulatory Medication Reconciliation Form
The Goals of Medication Reconciliation
- Improving the safety in using medications
- Ensures the safety of all patients against medication errors
- Avoid unwanted medication errors like omissions, duplicates, dosing errors and timing errors, and adverse reactions or drug interactions
- Avoid undocumented intentional discrepancies and unintentional discrepancies
- Avoid incorrect medication dosages or dosage forms
- Provide accurate list of medications during admission and ward transfers, and a complete list of bring-home medications upon discharge
- Avoid any failures in the prescription of important bring-home medications during the hospital stay
- Provide clear instructions on which home medications are resumed or discontinued at home
- Prevent duplicate therapy at discharge.
The safety of the patient is the top priority not only in hospitals but across the entire health-care industry. Medication errors are the most common errors in the hospital setting. Preventing harm from any medication is very important among all health-care practitioners. But these errors are avoidable and a good way to do so is with the help of our downloadable medication reconciliation forms. Save yourself from any legal problems and start doing what is right.
These forms come in different file formats and will surely help you with your medication reconciliation needs. For other sample forms, please check Sample Physical Forms. What are you waiting for? Download now!
8+ Sample Incident Report Forms
22+ Requisition Forms in Excel
14+ Rent Roll Form Templates – PDF, Word
11+ Tenant Information Forms – PDF, Word
7+ Sample Blank Affidavit Forms – PDF
16+ Return to Work Medical Form Templates – PDF, Word
10+ Sample Material Request Forms – PDF, Word
10+ Sample Requisition Forms – PDF, DOC, Pages
9+ Sample Overtime Request Forms – PDF, Word
8+ Trust Amendment Forms – PDF
10+ Sample Temporary Guardianship Forms – PDF
8+ Vehicle Inspection Forms – PDF, Word
8+ Sample Employee Clearance Forms – Word, PDF
8+ Emergency Contact Form Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Emergency Contact Forms – PDF, DOC