Consent to medical care is among the most complicated ethical issues medical practitioners face. A consent represents the ethical and legal expression of a person’s freedom and self-determination respected. It is unlawful for doctors to treat patients in the absence of their consent, may it be an orally or implied consent.
A doctor may treat a patient without consent if it is a matter of necessity or an emergency. If you are a medical practitioner, the Sample Forms you will find on this page will be very much useful to you if you need a patient consent form. Just click on the download links that you can find around this page.
Patient HIPAA Consent Form
Dental HIPAA Consent Form
Printable HIPAA Consent Form
Patient HIPAA Consent Form Example
HIPAA Privacy Consent Form
Types of Consent
Before a procedure is made, a patient’s consent is needed, which is usually through a written consent. It is essential to give the patient all the information for them to understand the treatment. Our Child Travel Consent Forms are also available for you to download.
- Implied Consent – it is a form of consent that is not granted by the patient but rather concluded from person’s actions and the facts or circumstances of a particular situation, in some cases, by a person’s inaction.
- Expressed Consent – this type of consent is clearly stated rather than implied. It may be given in writing, orally, or non-verbally. If an expressed consent is not evidenced by either an audio or a video recording, it can be disputed if a party denies that a consent was given.
- Informed Consent – this consent is given by a person who has a clear regard and understanding of the facts and future consequences of the action given. A patient must be given all the information needed for them to reach a decision. Patients should not be pressured or influenced by any medical staff, even their family or friends.
- Substituted Consent – this allows the decision maker to attempt to make a decision an incompetent person would have made if they were competent.
HIPAA Compliance Patient Consent Form
HIPAA Consent Form in PDF
HIPAA Consent Authorization Form
Information a Medical Practitioner Should Provide a Patient
A medical practitioner should consider getting the consent of the patient as a process rather than a single act. Here is a detailed list on the information a medical practitioner should provide to a patient.
- The diagnosis and prognosis
- Any uncertainties about both the prognosis and diagnosis, and options for further investigations
- Options for treating or managing, including the option not to treat the patient
- The purpose of any proposed investigation or treatment and what they would involve
- Potential risks, benefits, burdens, and a likelihood of success for each option
- The patients will always have the right to a second opinion
A person has the capacity to make a decision for themselves if they can
- understand the information relevant to the decision,
- retain the information,
- use and weigh the information as part of the decision-making process, and
- communicate the decision made.
A consent form is not needed in simple diagnostic tests or situations where your actions imply consent. If a treatment puts a patient in a vulnerable position that can possibly cause serious harm, a consent is needed to protect both the medical practitioner and the patient. A written consent is preferable in these kinds of situation. If you find our Child Medical Consent Forms useful, you may click on the link to download.
8+ Sample Incident Report Forms
22+ Requisition Forms in Excel
14+ Rent Roll Form Templates – PDF, Word
11+ Tenant Information Forms – PDF, Word
7+ Sample Blank Affidavit Forms – PDF
16+ Return to Work Medical Form Templates – PDF, Word
10+ Sample Material Request Forms – PDF, Word
10+ Sample Requisition Forms – PDF, DOC, Pages
9+ Sample Overtime Request Forms – PDF, Word
8+ Trust Amendment Forms – PDF
10+ Sample Temporary Guardianship Forms – PDF
8+ Vehicle Inspection Forms – PDF, Word
8+ Sample Employee Clearance Forms – Word, PDF
8+ Emergency Contact Form Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Emergency Contact Forms – PDF, DOC