An abstract is a part of a research paper that is usually used as a summary that would usually contain no less than three hundred words. An abstract is a summary of the key facts of your research. It should contain key information like the main purpose of your topic and a brief description of your research findings.Writing a research paper requires you to follow the format described by the teacher.
Formatting a research paper is as simple as following directions because the exact format of your abstract should be explained by your teacher; if not, then the teacher should at least provide some templates or some sample abstract formats to give you a guide on how to design the abstract.
What Should Be Included in an Abstract?
Even in the most basic of research paper formats, there is the requirement of adding an abstract to your research paper. You may be wondering what to add into an abstract. The contents of an abstract are as follows:
- A brief description of the purpose of the research study should be written down in the abstract.
- Explain the relevance of your research topic as well as the reason why you have selected your topic.
- Give a short description of your research method and your research strategy.
- Give a short summary of your research data then include a conclusion.
General APA Formatting Guidelines
What is APA? APA stands for the American Psychological Association, which is responsible for creating a standard format that all research papers should follow. As of all documents, they follow a certain standard format. Below are some of its basic formatting guidelines:
- Being computerized, which will allow for much easier edits and modifications to the APA.
- Double-space the space between each line.
- Use a paper format of 8.5″ × 11″ with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Font used should be in Times New Roman.
- Use a font size of twelve (12).
For a much more clear reference on the format of your research paper, feel free to either ask your teacher for advice or check out some research paper samples to review their formats.
Tips on Formatting the Abstract Page Using the APA
The American Psychological Association (APA) format is a guide to writing a research paper, and as such, it is also a guide in writing an abstract for the paper. It should also contain a guide on how to make the cover pages for the research paper you are making. Here are some tips you can use in making your own abstract in APA format:
- On the very top portion of your paper using Times New Roman or Arial font, type in the word Abstract in a capital word format and have it aligned to the center of the top portion of the page.
- After writing abstract, you will then begin writing a summary of all the key points of your research (this being that the abstract is a portion of the research paper).
- Remember to always limit the word count for your abstract to somewhere below 300 words.
- Have the teacher check your output as often as possible.
FREE 10+ Food Catering Business Plan Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 10+ Cleaning Price List Samples in MS Word | PSD | AI | Publisher | Pages | PDF
FREE 14+ Event Checklist Templates in Excel | PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 18+ Small Business Plan Samples in Google Docs | MS Word | Pages | PDF
FREE 31+ Sample Business Plan Templates in Google Docs | MS Word | Pages | PDF
FREE 9+ Sample Film Budgets in PDF | MS Word | Excel | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 6+ Useful Meeting Notes Templates in PDF | PSD
FREE 15+ Sample Partnership Agreement Templates in PDF | MS Word | Google Docs | Pages
FREE 10+ Art Gallery Business Plan Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 5+ Editable Social Media Strategy Samples in MS Word | Pages | Google Docs | PDF
FREE 25+ Sample Wedding Contracts in Google Docs | MS Word | Pages | PDF
FREE 15+ Sample Memorandum of Agreement Templates in Google Docs | MS Word | Pages | PDF
FREE 10+ Revenue Projection Samples in MS Word | MS Excel | Pages | Numbers | Google Docs | Google Sheets | PDF
FREE 10+ HR Consulting Business Plan Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Pages | PDF
FREE 10+ Excel Inventory Samples in Excel