How do know when employees are performing their jobs in the workplace based on the set standards of a particular company? When running a business or an organization, it is important to conduct performance evaluations. Employees are needed to be assessed by businesses with regards to their performance and competency levels to assure that they will be efficient parts or members of the organization and its operations. Businesses need to create an evaluation system that they can use to accurately evaluate the performance of their employees.
There are various types of employee performance evaluations that can be used depending on the industry and the nature of work that a particular company is in. Creating an evaluation system helps businesses identify whether an employee is competent and contributes to the overall growth of the business. If you are a business owner or a manager and you need to create a performance evaluation form, you can download the evaluation form templates that are available in this article. You can read more information on this page about the steps in conducting an employee evaluation including some tips and guidelines that will be useful to guide you when writing one.
Bookkeeper Performance Evaluation Form Template
Child Care Performance Evaluation Form Sample
Domestic Worker Evaluation Form Template
Food Service Personnel Evaluation Form Template
What Is an Employee Evaluation?
An employee evaluation is a process of assessing or appraising a company’s employees in order to identify the various areas where they may need improvement. An employee evaluation is usually conducted by the human resources department through the managers of the company. Employee evaluation forms are filled out by managers, which they base on the employee’s performance for a particular period of time. Through this tool, businesses will be able to develop a plan to improve performance. You can download the evaluation form samples in this article to help you create one.
What Is the Purpose of Conducting Employee Evaluations?
An employee evaluation is an essential process in every business. By performing one, both the employer and the employee can benefit from it. The purpose and the importance of conducting an employee evaluation are as follows:
- An employee performance evaluation allows individuals or employees to fully understand what they are expected to do, specifically in the workplace.
- Through an employee evaluation form, managers and employers will be able to identify and outline the problems and shortcomings of the employees that work for them.
- An evaluation form also lays out the contributions of a particular employee to the company or business as well as the goals that the employee/s has achieved.
- An employee evaluation is used as a basis to help businesses decide whether to promote an employee, raise his/her pay, or lay off their employees.
- A performance evaluation enables businesses to identify and determine the strengths and weaknesses of their employees.
- Through a performance evaluation, businesses will be able to establish a training plan and development methods for their employees.
- By conducting an employee assessment, companies will be able to create performance goals in order for employees to meet the standards that a particular company has.
- Employee evaluations are not only used to identify areas for improvement, but also recognize the contributions, hard work, commitment, etc., that an employee has shown. This will allow businesses to award their employees as well as for employees to feel valued in the workplace.
Leader Performance Evaluation Form Sample
New Employee Performance Evaluation Form
Sample Employee Evaluation Form
Skilled Laborer Performance Evaluation Form
Steps in Conducting Employee Evaluations
Conducting an employee evaluation can provide a lot of benefits for both the company and their employees. If you need to perform an evaluation or assessment of your employees, following these steps will help you in successfully performing one. The steps are as follows:
- Assure that there is an evaluation measure that is predetermined before implementing the employee evaluation. It is important that you create standards and goals before performing an evaluation since this will be your basis whether an individual needs improvement.
- Identify the purpose of why conducting the employee evaluation is needed. An evaluation is usually conducted by businesses on a regular basis for the purpose of promoting employees, increasing their pay, or terminating individuals. Understanding the purpose will help you determine which aspects to look at and is useful in helping you decide.
- Make sure that the people who are tasked to do the employee evaluation are well aware of their responsibilities, especially in terms of following guidelines in keeping objectivity within the entire process. Individuals who have the knowledge on how an evaluation or assessment is performed should be tasked to do the process. This is to ensure that the evaluation is conducted accurately and appropriately. Employees can also create their own evaluation through the use of a self-evaluation form. Since employers don’t have the capability to fully assess an individual, a self-assessment should also be done to ensure that both sides are taken into account.
- Collate all the information needed for the employee evaluation and assess the current condition of the performance of the employees of the business.
- Provide conclusions and recommendations that can help the employees improve based on the results of the evaluation. Once you have gathered all the information that you need to conduct an employee assessment, a thorough analysis is then done to identify which aspects need improvement and also to be able to determine whether an employee meets the standards that have been created by the company.
How to Create an Effective Employee Performance Evaluation Form
Creating an employee evaluation form is necessary since this will be the document that will measure the employee’s performance in the workplace. It is important that you understand the elements as well as the steps before you create your performance evaluation form. Here are the steps in creating one:
- Gather all the necessary information and data before you start creating your evaluation form.
- Make an outline or a format of the employee evaluation form. You can also download from the employee evaluation forms that are available for download in the article. This will help you create a professional-looking and well-made document or form.
- Once you have the template, create a title to indicate the type of evaluation form you are creating, whether it is a standard employee evaluation form, a self-evaluation form, supervisor evaluation form, etc. This is important to be able to clearly specify the type of evaluation you will be conducting.
- Write the name of the employee or individual whom you will be conducting the evaluation.
- Include the job title to indicate their position in the company or business.
- Write the name/s of the individuals who will be performing the evaluation or assessment in your document.
- Also, include the date when the evaluation is performed and indicate the time period covered by the assessment.
- Create a rating system, which you can number from 1 to 5 with 1 symbolizing a poor rating and 5 as excellent.
- Add the evaluation items in the evaluation form. This includes the quality of work, dependability of the employee, job knowledge, his/her communication skills, personality, management ability, his/her contributions to the company, productivity, etc. You can add as much evaluation items depending on which aspect of the individual you are trying to evaluate as well as its purpose.
- In the document, create a performance summary section wherein you can write in detail the employee’s strongest points, weakest points, how an employee can be more effective in the tasks that he/she is doing, and if the employee needs additional training that would further enhance his/her skills.
- Include an employee feedback that is filled out by the employee. This is where the employee can provide a self-assessment. It is important to include this section to identify the employee’s feedback.
Supervisor Employee Evaluation Form Template
Training Evaluation Form Sample
Essential Tips and Guidelines for Conducting Employee Evaluations
We have gathered a number of useful tips that you can use when you conduct an employee performance evaluation. Refer to these tips and guidelines to help you conduct an effective employee performance evaluation. The tips are as follows:
- Always be prepared before performing an employee evaluation. It is important that you are prepared on what to do and what to say to the employee.
- When you conduct an employee performance evaluation, start with that individual’s strengths and his/her contributions to the company or business. This is the time when you show your appreciation to the employee/s.
- Always remember to keep it real when doing an employee assessment or evaluation.
- An effective employee evaluation requires a two-way conversation between the evaluator and the employees.
- Remember to listen to what your employees have to say during the performance evaluation.
- Employee evaluations should be done on a regular basis. This is to ensure that employees constantly improve their morale and productivity.
- During the start of the employee evaluation, discuss the purpose the evaluation being done. For example, you can discuss the opportunities that a particular individual has in the company or you want them to learn or improve on a particular skill.
- Both parties should create an agenda to ensure that they are prepared before the employee evaluation will start.
- After conducting the employee evaluation, discuss the methods or actions that need to be taken.
- Gather information or feedback from other coworkers who have worked with the employee that the evaluation will be done.
- Provide the employee with a copy of the employee evaluation form that you have created.
- Establish a rating scale when conducting an employee evaluation. This will help you accurately evaluate the individual.
- Ensure that all the information written in your employee evaluation form is clear and simple.
Elements of an Employee Evaluation Form
An effective performance evaluation helps managers address certain aspects of an employee’s performance in an unbiased manner. When creating an employee evaluation form, there are certain elements that need to be present in the document. The essential elements are as follows:
- Performance Aspects – this section of an employee evaluation identifies the performance aspects that a particular company is focused on or is important to the operations of the business. Some examples are punctuality, productivity, customer service, etc.
- Rating Scale – the rating scale refers to the measurement tool that will be used to evaluate or assess the employee. To do this, you can create a numerical scale to be able to rate the performance of the employees.
- Strengths and Weaknesses – an effective employee evaluation should provide feedback on the individual or employee’s strengths and weaknesses. Through this, both the employer and the employee will understand which aspects need improvement.
- Goals and Planning – this is an important element of an employee evaluation. After you have identified the aspects that a particular employee needs improvement on, this section outlines the goals that the employee needs to accomplish, as well as the plan needed to effectively implement these actions.
Additionally, if you need meeting evaluation forms, student evaluation forms, and employee evaluation forms, you can download the samples that are available on this site should you need them specifically.
8+ Vehicle Inspection Forms – PDF, Word
8+ Emergency Contact Form Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Emergency Contact Forms – PDF, DOC
8+ Sample Pledge Forms – PDF, Word
7+ Print Release Forms – PDF
10+ Patient Feedback Forms – PDF, Word
6+ Sample Construction Work Order Forms – PDF
8+ Sample Registration Forms – PDF, Word
8+ Registration Form Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Rental Application Form Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Rental Application Forms – PDF, Word
10+ Sample Donation Request Forms – PDF, Word
10+ Donation Request Form Samples, Examples, Templates
8+ Sample Submittal Transmittal Forms – PDF, Word
10+ Sample Liability Waiver Forms – Word, PDF