No matter what industry you are in, business SOP is one important part of how the company runs. Standard operating procedures can affect the reputation of the company, the trust of the clients, and can increase the value of the company. It is expected to maintain the quality of the product or services.
SOP follows step-by-step instructions that should be strictly done. When writing an SOP, consult a general SOP format or check if there is a special format protocol by the management. The company’s development of SOP helps in the consistency and integrity of the output that the company provides.
Army SOP Format
Basic Army SOP
SOP for Army Maintenance
Pharma Company SOP
What Is the Definition of Standard Operating Procedure?
Standard operating procedure or SOP is a written document composed of instructions that should be followed step by step. It is repetitive work process that a company has to ensure that there is consistency in the way products and services are made, distributed, or rendered. It is dependent on the organization’s established instructions. SOP could also be called as a company’s protocol, worksheets, instructions, or laboratory operations. There are available free SOP template to start writing your own SOP. Standard operating procedures are key to successful procedures. This provides an organized and uniformed information for a job to be done.
What Is Standard Operating Procedure in Laboratory?
Standard operating procedure in laboratory is a written document with a set of instructions how to perform and use hazardous operations and facilities. The SOP will focus on the process, hazardous chemicals, and the different class of hazardous chemicals. Design of SOP involves different sections that focuses on different concerns, like the process, hazardous chemicals involved, potential hazards, required approvals, the designated area, special handling procedures and proper storage requirements, personal protective equipment needed, engineering or ventilation control, spill and accident procedures, waste disposal and decontamination. Once SOP in laboratory is approved, everyone who needs to perform operation should follow everything written.
HR SOP Format
HR Recruitment SOP
SOP for HR Management
Admin SOP Format
System Admin SOP
SOP for Office Admin
Bank SOP Format
Blood Bank SOP
Bank Reconciliation Format
SOP for Bank Security
Mistakes to Avoid while Writing Your SOP
- Last-minute writing of SOP. Standard operating procedures are like guidelines and rules, the Great Wall of China wasn’t built overnight. Writing an SOP requires brainstorming and lots of rough drafts that are revised again and again until you reach the exact output you want for the betterment of your company. It is important that the contents should align in the company’s goals, mission, and vision, so do not copy-paste from other company’s SOP.
- Ineffective introduction and conclusions. Write an impressive and impactful introduction since this is how you keep the reader’s attention. This would ensure that the committee will read through and really proceed to apply the steps. It is also important to have a knowledgeable conclusions that would somehow summarize everything.
- Using informal terminologies or slang. SOP is a formal document, so formal language is expected. It is also preferred that the terminologies used are easy to understand so elaborate explanations would be needed.
- Dwelling on the negative. A positive tone should be observed in SOP, you don’t wanna pressure or scare your reader. It should be imposed that whatever protocol is written in the document is beneficial and achievable.
- A very long SOP. Maintain an appropriate word count, this would keep you from including irrelevant topics.
- Including irrelevant and unnecessary information. Be informative but also be concise and to the point.
- Using an informal format. The most important thing in SOP is the content, so no need for excessive designs in presenting this document.
- Not being honest. Avoid made-up information or exaggerated facts when writing the SOP and the background or achievements of the organization.
If you have no clue how to start writing an SOP, use SOP templates to guide you on the important information that are needed. SOP templates in DOC are also helpful because it is easier and more convenient to edit.
Corporate SOP Format
Corporate Travel SOP
Corporate Communication SOP
SOP for Corporate Security
Laboratory SOP Format
SOP for Clinical Laboratory
Department SOP Format
Finance Department SOP
SOP for HR Department
Electrical SOP Format
SOP for Electrical Maintenance
Electrical Equipment SOP
Tips to Draft a Winning SOP
- Set your priority on which SOP should be written. There should be an SOP for every job or operation, so make sure that you differentiate the contents, make sure that it is appropriate in the job.
- Even writing SOP draft, make sure that it is not too long because employees struggle following lengthy instructions. There would be a possibility that they would unintentionally skip some procedures.
- Consider your audience or the people you are writing an SOP for. This would help you guide in choosing your approach in writing, the tone, the terminologies used, details, and the writing style. Base it on the age, experience, knowledge and education of the employee on how you deliver your contents.
- Once everything is final, save SOP formats in PDF to keep the format.
Why Do We Need Standard Operating Procedures?
We all need standard operating procedures because these help us save time and mistakes during operating hours, reduces training cost, ensures consistency regarding the results, empowers the workforce, to support quality objectives and goals, and to establish organized system. If there is no development of SOP, there might be a lot of errors and frustration, waste time and money for mistakes, and inconsistency in operations. For example, navy SOP is important because it provides the navy the policy, responsibility, and maintaining standard for operations that involves explosives and other hazardous materials.
Fire SOP Format
Fire Department SOP
SOP for Fire Safety
Hospital SOP Format
Army Hospital SOP
Hospital Administration SOP
IT SOP Format
IT Security SOP
Project SOP Format
Final Year Project SOP
Project Management Template
Project Planning SOP
Pharmacy SOP Format
Hospital Pharmacy SOP
Technical SOP Format
Technical Support SOP
SOP for Technical Agreement
Technical Training SOP
Security SOP Format
Security Department SOP
Security Manager SOP
Tips for a Better Standard Operating Procedure
- You can use sample SOP templates but do provide specific examples and avoid generic one. Every SOP should be customized on the nature of the operation or job.
- Always watch your word count. Include all necessary information but do not make it look like an employee manual at its thickness, at the same time avoid too short SOP that would leave the reader some unanswered questions.
- Provide details. These are written instructions. This should be helpful to them even if there is no supervisor present at the moment. So proper details are expected so that further questions are not necessary.
- Review SOP at least once a year.
- Develop a format that is fit for the company or the establishment.
- Drafts should be made, tested, and revised until proven appropriate during implementation.
- Keep printed SOP on-site for the employees to read until following the same routine process becomes their second nature.
- SOP should be clear and concise.
12+ Sample Marketing Reports- Docs, PDF, Pages
14+ Sample Marketing Report Templates- Docs, PDF, Pages
28+ Sample Reports – PDF, Word, Apple Pages
18+ Sample Gap Analysis Templates – PDF, Excel, Word, Pages
10+ Sample Commercial Lease Agreements – Word, PDF, Pages
8+ Sample Commercial Lease Agreements – Word, PDF
8+ Fault Tree Templates – PDF, Excel, Word
11+ Sample Accident Report Templates – PDF, Word, Pages
12+ Sample Home Inspection Reports – Docs, Word, Pages
53+ Contract Agreement Templates – Pages, Docs
10+Trip Report Templates – Word, Docs, pages
20+ Sample Trip Reports – Word, PDF
15+ Monthly Report Templates – Docs, Pages, Word
37+ Sample Proposal Templates – Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs
20+ Management Samples – PDF , Word, Docs, Pages