Discursive writing can be quite a handful to write. It can also often get interchanged with other types of essays. When it comes to writing one, you want to make sure that you choose a topic that you will be passionate about or objective about. Choosing a topic for this type of writing is of high importance because you want to make sure that you will be able to put a good amount of effort into writing your essay. You may also see book writing
If you are looking for a couple of information about discursive writing, this is the article for you. We have also included a couple of essay samples in PDF that would help you out with coming up with your very own discursive essay.
1. Sample Discursive Essay in PDF
What is the format of discursive writing?
2. Sample Discursive Writing Template
3. Discursive Writing Template
What Is a Discursive Essay?
Discursive writing is a type of formal writing that discusses a certain topic. The topic can be anything from an issue, a situation, or a problem.
There are two basic types of discursive essays: persuasive essays which aim to persuade the reader that your opinion matters, while the other one is an argumentative essay which basically tries to argue a certain topic based on facts.
There are also three main types of discursive essays:
1. For and against essays which try to discuss the two sides of an issue with justifications, examples, as well as reasons. In the last part of the essay, the writer’s opinion may be written.
2. Opinion essays, based on the word opinion, is a type of discursive writing that presents the writer’s personal opinion regarding a certain topic. The writer’s opinion usually appears in the introduction as well as in the summary of the essay. You may also like business writing.
3. Suggested solutions to problems aim to analyze certain problems to certain topics and discuss possible solutions to these problems. The writer’s opinion may be directly or indirectly stated in the introduction and the conclusion of the essay. You may also check out letter writing
Features of a Good Discursive Essay
Just like any other type of essays, a discursive essay has three basic parts.
The introduction of a discursive essay will be the part of your essay that will discuss what the main topic of the essay will be. You may also see informational writing
2. Main Body
The main body of the essay will contain the main points of the topic. Typically, it is separated into three paragraphs where the main points will be justified or exemplified.
The closing paragraph will summarize everything that you have discussed in the earlier paragraphs wherein your opinions will be restated. You may also like article writing
Considerations with Discursive Writing
1. Present Each Point in an Organized Manner
Every paragraph in the main body of your essay should start with one of the main points that you have for your essay. Justifications should also follow the main points.
2. Catchy Statements
Catchy statements can include
- famous quotations,
- rhetorical questions, and
- thought-provoking questions.
3. List Down Points
When you get started on your essay outline, make sure that you also include the main points that you have. This will help to ensure that you have included everything that needs to be included in the essay. You may also check out reflective writing
4. Formal Language
Keep the language formal and appropriate for the writing style that you have.
The Basic DOs and DON’Ts of Discursive Writing
1. When You are Writing a Discursive Essay, DO
- stick to a formal writing style,
- introduce each main point in a clear and concise statement,
- make sure that your paragraphs are well-developed and well-written,
- give examples for every main point,
- write in a sequential manner,
- properly use linking words, and
- cite sources and references.
You may also see technical writing
2. When You are Writing a Discursive Essay, DON’T
- make use of shortened sentences or phrases,
- make use of informal language,
- make use of language that is biased or emotional,
- be insistent on your opinions, and
- make use of personal examples.
You may also like commentary writing
4. Basic Discursive Writing Template
What are the benefits of discursive writing?
5. Discursive Essay Writing Format
6. Discursive Writing Frame Outline Template
What is the difference between discursive and argumentative?
10+ Summary Writing Samples
8+ Persuasive Writing Samples and Templates
8+ Application Writing Samples
7+ Expository Writing Samples and Templates
6+ Narrative Writing Samples and Templates
4+ Informative Writing Samples and Templates
Professional Letter and Email Writing Guidelines
13+ Minutes Writing Samples and Templates
8+ Sample Writing Thank You Notes
7+ Free Writing Samples
7+ Sample Tribute Speech Example
6+ Printable Writing Paper
Steps to Writing a Reference Letter for Immigration
Writing a Sales Letter: Tips & Examples
Quick Tips in Writing a Resignation Letter