Businesses rely on the human resource department in terms of the proper allocation of the workforce. More so, this department is tasked to hire qualified individuals who can add value to the company. If you think that the job designation of the employees assigned to the human resource department ends there, you better think again. This department is also tasked for preparing payroll accounts, ensuring that the business permits and other legal documents of the business are updated, creating programs for customer retention and satisfaction as well as developing the regulations of the company to make a safe and healthy environment to their employees.
Truth be told, the human resource department is one of the busiest areas of any business. With all these activities assigned to them, certain checklists are needed to be done. HR checklists come in different forms and presentations as these documents rely on the activity that requires being organized, maintained, or updated. If you want to create an HR checklist but have no idea on how to develop one, keep on reading this post for related tips and relevant guidelines.
HR Onboarding Checklist Template
HR Audit Checklist Template
HR Due Diligence Checklist Template
Free Basic HR Checklist Template
Free Sample HR Checklist Template
Free HR Checklist for Office Administration
HR Self-Assessment Checklist Sample
HR Onboarding Checklist for New Employees
Where Can You Use an HR Checklist?
There are different ways on how you can make use of an HR checklist. This is the reason why you have to ensure that the HR checklist that you will come up with is precise and specific. You have to be aware of your objective when making this document so you can specifically come up with the document that can address your needs. Some of the ways and instances where an HR checklist can be used include the following:
- To list down all the programs that are essential to be implemented to maintain or even increase the work productivity of existing employees
- To create a guideline on the processes of employee application
- To organize all the activities of the human resource department in a particular month
- To enlist all the call to actions necessary to be executed for a certain corporate activity
- To disseminate call to actions and inform people about their responsibilities
- To have a precise way of keeping documents and business materials
There are still a lot of processes where it is beneficial to have an HR checklist. As long as you think that this document is needed, do not hinder yourself from creating one. Check out more of our checklist samples.
How to Determine the Content of an HR Checklist
A checklist is an essential tool used in the human resource department. Having this tool at hand can make the employees in the specified department be organized. Since there are different types of HR checklists, you have to determine the information that can be seen in the HR checklist that you plan and target to have. For you to identify the proper information that you can include in a specific HR checklist, here are some guides that you can follow:
- Ensure that you have a core purpose on why you need the specific HR checklist.
- Identify the materials that you need to complete the HR checklist. You may also see new hire checklist samples
- Group different kinds of HR checklists based on the processes where they are deemed necessary.
- Create a draft of the procedures that are expected to be implemented for a certain undertaking before making the HR checklist.
These items can help you process an HR checklist based on the elements required to be included in each of them. If you are having a hard time in making a particular HR checklist, the best thing to do is for you to compare different kinds of HR checklists and see how they are formatted and used. You can make use of our free checklist template samples as reference.
Sample HR Checklist for Exiting Employees
HR Audit Checklist Sample
HR Checklist Samples
Being knowledgeable of the creation, development, and usage of varying HR checklists will allow you to be more confident when tasked to make one. For you to have an idea on some of the HR checklists that are used in the operations of the business, we have listed three examples just for you. These samples are discussed accordingly so you can compare them from one another. Take note that there are still a lot of checklists that are used in the human resource department. Hence, the samples that we have here does not limit the usages of the tool in other ways possible. You may also like checklist samples & templates
Keep in mind that the details that are listed in this post may vary depending on the regulations of your company or the programs where the human resource department will create a checklist. Be guided by the specific business rules of your company so you can align the content of your HR checklist from there.
HR Checklist for Employment
Hiring new employees is a tedious task. There are a lot of steps that are necessary to be implemented so that the best candidates can be hired and that all of the applicants will have a positive impression about the business. If you will develop an HR checklist that focuses on the procedures of employment, you have to make sure that it can objectively pick the right candidate fit for every job designation. An HR checklist for employment is commonly created for the following reasons:
- To gather all the requirements for the applicants
- To ensure that the person assigned to a certain employment date is aware of the hiring procedures
- To maintain objectivity when selecting and interviewing candidates
- To make the flow of application as smooth as possible
Your HR checklist for employment is essential to contain guidelines on how to select the candidates who will continue the processes of the application. Hence, you should have a complete list of the minimum requirements and additional information that will allow you to screen potential employees accordingly. The basic information that should be included in an HR checklist for employment include the following:
- The minimum requirements needed to be passed by the applicants
- The date and time of interviews, examinations, and callbacks
- The specific metrics on how applicants can be assessed
- The steps that should be known by the candidates
- Other information necessary for the success of the application activity
HR Payroll Checklist Sample
HR Compliance Checklist Sample
HR Checklist for Employee Relations
The professional relationship of the employees to their employer is essential to be taken care of. The human resource department is tasked to ensure that all issues pertaining to the productivity and work ethics of the employees are addressed. An HR checklist for employee relations is very important for the following reasons:
- It allows the employees to be aware that there is a program that is specifically made to answer their questions and inquiries
- It serves as the document that prioritizes the needs of the employees
- It promotes employee involvement which can positively affect the productivity of the workforce
- It ensures that the rights of the employees are protected
- It helps in making new activities that can keep the employees motivated to work and stay with the company for a longer time. You may also like blank checklist templates
Having a checklist focused on employee relation activities can benefit the human resource department a lot. If you plan to develop an HR checklist for the purpose of making employee relations organized, some of the items that you can include are as follows:
- The departments involved in specific programs listed in one HR checklist
- The programs that are needed to be implemented to promote employee relationship development
- The dates where activities like employee interviews, one-on-one discussion, and department meetings are needed to be done
- The items, materials, and documents needed to be on hand for employee relationship-strengthening programs to be executed
HR Checklist for Bookkeeping and Data Maintenance
Aside from the above mentioned activities where an HR checklist can be used, you can also use this tool for bookkeeping and data maintenance purposes. Here are some of the details that you can specify in the HR checklist for the particular purpose:
- The documents that are needed to be grouped together
- The proper stocking measures that should be followed by the human resource department
- The dates when the data maintenance, may it be electronic or physical documents, are needed to be updated
- The people who are deemed responsible for specific bookkeeping
- The step-by-step guide on how new information and materials must be kept
Sample Year-End HR Checklist
Sample HR Checklist in PDF
Advantages of Having an HR Checklist
Some HR departments do not use a checklist anymore especially if the employees in this department have already been employed for a long period of time. Since there are already routines that are implemented on a daily basis, it is understandable if some employees will veer away from the usage of an HR checklist. However, we still think that having an HR checklist is beneficial not only to the human resource department but also to the operations, the management, and the entire business. The advantages of having an HR checklist include the following:
- It can help the human resource department prioritize the activities based on the needs of the business.
- It can balance the time and efforts of the human resource department in terms of addressing issues and undertakings.
- It allows the management to have a clear view of how HR processes are implemented.
- It makes it easier for the human resource personnel to disseminate tasks to the members of the department.
- It allows understanding in terms of metrics application and implications of results and findings.
You may take a look at Checklists to Boost Efficiency and Reduce Mistakes for more advantages.
Human Resources Management Checklist
HR New Hire Forms Checklist
Tips When Making an HR Checklist
Even if an HR checklist is a simple tool, it still requires effort and time to be made. An HR checklist should be easily understood so that people can identify their responsibilities accordingly. Listed below are some of the tips that can help you develop an effective and efficient HR checklist.
- Use references like samples and templates when formatting the HR checklist. You might be interested in checklist templates in PDF.
- Ensure that you will ask the specifications of the requirements by the people who will use the HR checklist.
- Review the document before letting any person from the human resource department use it.
- Keep the existing HR checklist used by the company so you can have references in the future if you will use it in the same activity.
Is Your HR Checklist Effective?
Not all HR checklists work the same. Moreover, just because you have already created one does not mean that it can already be an advantage for the business. The way that you create an HR checklist especially in relation to its content and order can affect its impact on the operations of the human resource department. When making an HR checklist, you have to make sure that it is highly usable. Here is how you can ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of your HR checklist:
- Your HR checklist should address all the issues of the activities where its usage is important.
- Your HR checklist should be precise when discussing all the items needed to be implemented.
- Your HR checklist should be easily understood by the people who will use it.
- Your HR checklist should always be up to date.
- Your HR checklist should be complete and comprehensive.
- Your HR checklist should be formatted in an organized manner.
Prepare an HR Checklist For Your Company
Whether you will use an HR checklist for a start-up business or you just want to organize the employment processes implemented by the human resource department, one thing that you have to keep in mind is to ensure that all the information that you will include in the document is relevant to the process and/or activity where the HR checklist will be used. Do not confuse yourself by adding a lot of call to actions in a single HR checklist. Have specific HR checklist depending on your need so you can maintain the organization of the processes that the department needs to implement.
Prepare your own human resource checklist now by referring to the samples that we have listed in this post. Moreover, make sure to read the tips and guides that we have thoroughly so you can be guided when you are already making the actual checklist. Do not hesitate to use templates if you think that you need further help when it comes to the formatting of the layout of the HR checklist. Create an HR checklist now and see how it can positively affect the HR processes of your business.
10+ Sample Vehicle Inspection Checklist Templates
9+ Sample Renovation Checklist Templates
8+ Sample Travel Checklists
8+ Sample Project Checklists
7+ Sample Moving Checklists
7+ Sample Camping Checklists
6+ Sample Word Checklists
14+ Sample Inspection Checklists
12+ Sample checklists
11+ Home Buying Checklists
11+ Sample Dorm Room Checklists
8+ Wedding Planning Checklist Sample in PDF
7+ Sample Wedding Planning Checklists
6+ Sample Wedding Planning Checklists
6+ Baby Shower Checklists