Teaching is not only limited to presenting visual aids or distributing questionnaires after reading out loud the current topic. Teachers should also make sure that the students really learned something from that discussion, that is how an assessment plays a role in this. There are various assessment types that exist.
One is a summative assessment. This is the graded type of assessment usually done to evaluate the performance of a student after discussing certain units. In contrast, the formative assessment type is the monitoring assessment that allows frequent follow-up without using grades to measure the learning progress of the student. This assessment could be done formally and informally. The key for these assessments is a comprehensive and unbiased feedback.
Examples of Formative Assessment for Writing
- Observations. Observing the students without them knowing it can help teachers know more about the student. This helps them know what the students know and do not know.
- Questioning. One of the most utilized assessment examples is asking questions. In formative assessment, asking questions has different levels that would depend on the knowledge that the student already knows and what would make the student think deeply. This is done both to challenge and evaluate the student.
- Discussions. In this assessment, the teacher would ask open-ended questions that would start the discussions. The student’s learning progress can be evaluated the way he/she responds.
Why Should We Use Formative Assessments?
This allows the teacher to adapt and follow instructions based on the resulting outcome of the assessment. It makes the teacher apply modifications and enhancement that produces benefits for the learning progress of the student. The assessment gives the student proof on their current learning progress that helps them track their performance so they could improve it and adjust their own progress. This gives the student a chance to evaluate themselves. Self-evaluation in this matter is different from leadership self-assessment. Lastly, this allows the teachers an opportunity to give constant relevant feedback to the students.
Easy Formative Techniques for Measuring Student Learning
While formative assessment examples in PDF are used to monitor the learning process of the student and modify teaching styles of the teacher, the health risk assessment is a screening tool used in health promotion that provides individuals a questionnaire to evaluate health risks on their current status.
- Dos and Don’ts. List three things that you do/don’t apply, use, or relate to on a given topic. Usually used in solving equations.
- Three Most Common Misunderstandings. The students will be asked to give what they think as the three most common misunderstandings in the topic.
- Yes/No Chart. To list what you do and don’t understand in the topic; “yes” for what you do understand and “no” for what you don’t.
- Three Questions. Students can ask three questions about the topic and rank these questions by its importance.
- Explain What Matters. The teacher would explain the most difficult part of the topic in a few sentences only to a student.
- Big Picture. Using a diagram to explain context, where it fits in and how it functions.
FREE 10+ Quality Risk Assessment Samples [ Control, Assurance, Management ]
FREE 6+ Immediate Termination of Lease Agreement Samples in MS Word | Google Docs | Apple Pages | PDF
FREE 10+ Qualitative Risk Assessment Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 10+ Comprehensive Needs Assessment Samples in PDF
FREE 10+ Evaluation Quality Assessment Samples [ Self, Loss, Data ]
FREE 10+ Promotion Assessment Samples [ Health, Self, Employee ]
FREE 10+ Environmental Impact Assessment Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 10+ Employee Competency Assessment Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 10+ Safety Assessment Samples [ Home, Health, Risk ]
FREE 10+ Change Impact Assessment Samples [ Management, Control, Request ]
FREE 10+ Qualitative Assessment Samples in PDF | DOC
FREE 10+ Staff Assessment Samples [ Workplace, Health, Risk ]
FREE 10+ Vulnerability Assessment Samples [ Security, Network, Risk ]
FREE 6+ Vendor Risk Assessment Samples [ Management, Security, Financial ]
FREE 10+ Work Assessment Samples [ Social, Capability, Risk ]