Whether you are a newbie or a wizened business owner, you must be aware of the different types of documents that must regularly be churned out in the daily operations of your business. On this page, you can find a brief description of the difference between an invoice and a receipt.
Most of all, we provide you with a diverse collection of different types of invoice templates. These templates can provide you a framework of the type of invoice you may be in the process of creating.
Invoice Example Template
Invoice Format Template
Massage Invoice Template
SEO Invoice Template
Mobile Shop Invoice Template
Agriculture Invoice Template
Sample Consulting Invoices
Consulting Service Invoice
Car Sale Invoice
Sales Invoice in PDF
What Is a Pro Forma Invoice?
Traditionally, a business would send a quote before a customer would agree to a sale or a service agreement. After a customer has acquiesced to the terms (prices, delivery method, etc.) contained in a quotation would a business issue an invoice. There is, however, another way of going through a business transaction and that is through the sending of a pro forma invoice.
A pro forma invoice is different from the common type of invoice in the following manners:
- A basic invoice is issued after a precise amount has been agreed to for the prices of the products and/or services availed by a customer. A pro forma invoice is sent after a customer has agreed to purchase or avail a certain item or product or service without having previously agreed to a specific price. That is why, even though legal obligations have already arisen on both parties, there is no specificity with regard to the amount due.
- A pro forma invoice functions as both a quotation and an invoice. It contains a list of prices for the items agreed upon, then it is up to the customer to acquiesce to these prices or to negotiate it.
- Just like in a basic quotation, the customer may have the privilege to negotiate the price in a pro forma invoice, however he/she cannot terminate the previous agreement to pay for the services or products he/she has ordered.
Whether you are in creating a basic invoice, a contractor invoice, a photography invoice, or a tax invoice, you must be able to properly differentiate the types of invoices in order to format it appropriately.
Sample Tax Invoices
Sample Tax Invoice
House Rent Receipt
Sample Construction Invoices
Construction Company Invoice
Construction Work Invoice
7 Tips for Sending the Perfect Invoice
The perfect invoice is not a difficult ideal to achieve. All you have to do in ensuring that you are able to send a perfect invoice is to follow the tips outlined below:
- Label your document for easier recognition. It is crucial that your invoice is labelled according to its function. For instance, if it is a pro forma invoice, you must label it “Pro Forma Invoice” and so on.
- Don’t forget to write the name of your company, company address, and contact information. This is essential so that your customer would find it easier to reach out to your office should they have any confusions regarding the contents of the invoice you have sent.
- As much as possible, display your company’s logo. Your invoice is like an extension of your company. Therefore, it must not be excluded from the general branding of your company. Good company branding is a portrayal of a stable, reliable, and most of all, flourishing company.
- Create a table for the items of goods or services availed by your customers. Indicate the name of the items of goods or services availed, its quantity, and its prices. A clear breakdown of the items you are asking them to pay can help make your customers understand the total amount you are demanding them to pay.
- Indicate the additional charges. Provide another list for additional charges such as taxable amounts, delivery charge, etc.
- Ensure that you are able to provide a clear description of the payment method available to your customer. It is of paramount importance that your customer would be able to make their payment in the most convenient way possible. One way to make things easier for them is to provide them with a multitude of options for the payment method they can use.
- Ensure that you are formatting your invoice according to the proper format of its type. Check out our collections of sample invoice and invoice letters, which display a wide array of diverse types of invoices.
Food Catering Invoice
Cash Invoice Format
Legal Service Invoice
Legal Aid Service
What Is a Tax Invoice?
Perhaps the most important item of consideration that sets apart a tax invoice from other types of invoices is the fact that is only to be given when one’s customer is not a direct consumer of the product purchased; but rather, one’s customer must be another retailer that is involved in the business of distributing the products purchased.
The purpose of a tax invoice is to clearly indicate the taxable amount, which is already included in the payment asked for. This is essential for tax purposes as this helps the government avoid the occurrence of having businesses getting away with tax evasion.
The following are the inclusions of a tax invoice:
- Tax invoice serial number
- The list of goods purchased
- Its prices
- The tax rate and the equivalent taxable amount to be paid
- The payment method
- The delivery method
- The date when purchase is made
- The signature of the sales clerk and the customer
To know more about the detailed content of a tax invoice, feel free to refer to our sample invoice templates on this page.
Cleaning Service Invoice
Independent Contractor Invoice
Free Printable Contractor Invoice
Consulting Service Invoice
Car Purchase Invoice
Goods Purchase Bill
Purchase Invoice Format
Invoice Submission Guidelines
- Don’t mistake an invoice for a receipt. The former is a formal request for payment whereas the latter is a proof of payment.
- Observe the proper format of invoices. Refer to our invoice formats.
- Don’t forget to submit your invoice immediately
- after the deal has been sealed,
- upon delivery of the item purchased, or
- upon the performance of the service availed.
- Always proofread the details of your invoice before sending it to your customer.
- If you are sending an invoice through mail, ensure that your customer is made aware of it by calling them or emailing them.
- If ever your customer refuses to fulfill his/her obligation to pay, you may increase the level of urgency portrayed in your following emails or calls.
8+ Rental Invoice Samples
9+ Sample Rent Invoice Templates to Download
10+ Real Estate Invoice Templates – PDF, Word, Excel
11+ Travel Invoices – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
7+ Travel Invoice Samples – Examples in PDF, Word
12+ Billing Invoice Templates – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
10+ Billing Invoice Templates – Free Samples, Examples & Format
8+ Plumbing Invoices – Free Samples, Examples, and Formats
6+ Painting Invoice Samples – Examples in PDF, Excel
5+ Roofing Invoice Templates – Free Sample, Example, Format Download
12+ Roofing Invoice Templates
5+ Graphic Design Invoice Samples
7+ Graphic Design Invoice Samples
13+ HVAC Invoice Templates
6+ HVAC Invoice Templates – Free Sample, Example, Format Download